View Poll Results: Is the TEFL combined course a good fit with my plan and background?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Makes a lot of sense

3 42.86%
  • It's ok because the course doesn't matter

1 14.29%
  • Should take a CELTA instead

2 28.57%
  • Doesn't matter because the plan doesn't make sense

1 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feedback on my plan would be greatly appreciated!

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankly speaking View Post
    I don't understand why you aren't looking for jobs using your MBA. There are many businesses in Thailand with foreign managers.
    That was the first thing I looked into when arriving in Bangkok. From talking to expats in the biz world, it seems as it is largely a needle in a haystack situation. Most have jobs at multi-nationals and it has been a while since my work with the giant companies. plus, age is a big issue with MNCs.

Best bet seems to just be here and over time network my way into the right circle. I was beginning to develop a network in Bangkok then headed for dry land up in Chiang Mai. Once I get back in a few weeks maybe that will kick into gear again.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomerexpat View Post
    However, I'm trying to figure out if I have a decent shot. it seems as though they almost all require two years teaching and even if I do get a job it wouldn't start till next September. I could wait that long but, if I did so, would prefer to have a decent chance of landing something.
    start researching unis with suitable programs *now*, don't wait for 'em to advertise. get in touch with the ones that look good. it's also worth noting that all the unis here aren't necessarily on a two-semester-and-summer system. another consideration is that someone who works there may drop out at a time that's inconvenient for them.

the lack of 2 years' teaching experience is perhaps a problem but a good program won't be impressed by anything except teaching your subject. they don't look down on TEFLing, or 'business English,' or teaching kids, they just don't view it as all that relevant.

as i said, to my eye your best bet is to work the internet and get in touch with department heads at unis over here.

Do you have direct experience or know people who teach at unis that lead you to think I could land a job at a decent uni in Thailand without already having experience (the old catch 22) teaching at the uni level?
    i've interviewed a few times but there are only about 3 unis here that offer the subject of my alleged expertise, so competition's intense. i suspect it would be far less so in business programs because there are so many of them, and your experience should put you near the top of the food chain. sitting in the waiting area was a good experience, as i got to meet people who's work i admired. unfortunately, they were interviewing for the same job. i doubt you'll have that problem, as there are so many business programs over here and the smallest ones are bigger than any dept. i've applied to.

I did land a gig in August teaching marketing at a uni in WUXI, China by just tossing my CV on the Dave's ESL Cafe job board; I started too late for most positions. But the start date wasn't practical and I couldn't muster enthusiasm about going there given what happens if you google wuxi and water pollution or algae. I prefer Thailand.
    it should be very do-able given your credentials, even without the experience. most of the people i've met who teach business over here were competent enough but didn't have bling degrees and weren't exactly getting offers to teach at Wharton or Sloan.

in short, go for it.
    Imodium can't stop me.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankly speaking View Post
    I don't understand why you aren't looking for jobs using your MBA
    That was the first thing I looked into when arriving in Bangkok. From talking to expats in the biz world, it seems as it is largely a needle in a haystack situation. Most have jobs at multinationals and it has been a while since my work with the giant companies. plus, age is a big issue with MNCs.

Best bet seems to just be here and over time network my way into the right circle. I was beginning to develop a network in Bangkok then headed for dry land up in Chiang Mai. Once I get back in a few weeks maybe that will kick into gear again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12