Thread: Newbie introduction and housing question

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Newbie introduction and housing question

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are planning to move to Thailand in July or August of 2012. I have read tons of posts in this form, but this is my first post!

We are planning on saving up at least $10,000 so that we have enough to just travel and enjoy Thailand for a month or so before we get a job. Eventually, we will want to settle into one of the cities in Thailand, but we are not sure where. Ideally, we would travel around the country before settling into a city so that we can get a sense of where we would want to live.

To help us prepare, two main questions:

1. When we do settle down, we would want to find a long-term rental. Does anyone have any tips to offer us in regards to finding long-term housing? Tips on housing in Bangkok or Chang Mai would be most beneficial as I think those two cities are where we are most likely to end up. However, any advice on finding housing in one of the smaller cities would also be great!

2. Also, I have heard that it is possible to enter Thailand with a one-way ticket IF you have evidence of enough money to fund further travel. Is this true? Has anyone done this before? Do we just need to bring a bank statement with us to do this?

Thank you for any input! We are very excited!

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

"Also, I have heard that it is possible to enter Thailand with a one-way ticket IF you have evidence of enough money to fund further travel. Is this true?"

I don't believe that's true.
    You should have either a ticket out, or a visa. With a visa, a one way ticket should be okay.
    The airline would be the one to turn you away, not immigration.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

The Thai Embassy in DC will not issue a 60 day tourist visa without paid receipts of your itinerary including the return. You might not have to buy a round trip tickets and waste the return flight, but you will have to give them something.

You can not write a letter and try to say you are leaving by land. I tried that.

You might just have to get a 30 day tourist visa on arrivial, and then make a visa run for a 60 day visa, +30 days with an extension. Or find jobs in a week, you have to have 21 days on a tourist visa to get it changed to Non imm B in country.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I entered with a one way ticket but I got a non-immigrant b visa before leaving. I only took $3000 with me and it was perfect. Didn't travel, but took my tefl and explored the city quite a bit.

Senior Member Array Warhammer820's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

^ How did you get a non-immigrant before leaving?

vCash
    Thanks

^ Probably from his TEFL provider. That's how I got mine. It was a huge +++ for me.
    "While Jim is milking the Russian Boar, I'm in the shade of a Baobab tree being served a cool drink by a beautiful young indigenous girl. "
    Marlin Perkins

Aloha - Aloha HARD

Too ugly to prostitute Array HiSo HoBo's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ho View Post
    ^ Probably from his TEFL provider. That's how I got mine. It was a huge +++ for me.
    Your TEFL course provider gave you documentation to obtain a Non Immigrant B visa before you came to Thailand?
    "Thailand is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern View Post
    Your TEFL course provider gave you documentation to obtain a Non Immigrant B visa before you came to Thailand?
    Sure did. I didn't really realize what a big deal that would turn out to be.

Established User Array Underdog Advantage's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I've entered on a one-way ticket, and I've had an airline make me purchase an onward flight before allowing me to board.
    Immigration never check. If you're concerned, just buy the cheapest onward flight you can to a neighbouring country. There are
    often cheap flights to Kuala Lumpur.

There are a lot of tips and advice on this forum about finding long-term accommodation. You're doing it the right way by
    travelling around a bit to see where you'd like to settle for a while. Good luck.