-->

Thread: US soccer referee punched by player dies

connoisseur of empathy Array cluezo's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

US soccer referee punched by player dies

It's amazing that a little kick ball game can be so violent.

Police: US soccer referee punched by player dies
    Updated 3:41 pm, Sunday, May 5, 2013

MURRAY, Utah (AP) — Ricardo Portillo's daughters had begged him to stop refereeing in a soccer league because of the growing risk of violence from angry players.
    Now they're faced with planning his funeral after he succumbed to injuries late Saturday that had put him in a coma for a week since a 17-year-old goalie punched him in the head.

Authorities say the teen punched Portillo after the youth was called for a foul and issued a yellow card.
    "The suspect was close to Portillo and punched him once in the face as a result of the call," Unified police spokesman Justin Hoyal in a press release. The suspect has been booked into juvenile detention on suspicion of aggravated assault. Hoyal said authorities will consider additional charges since the 46-year-old Salt Lake City man has died.
    Hoyal said an autopsy is planned. No cause of death was released.

Portillo suffered swelling in his brain and had been listed in critical condition, Dr. Shawn Smith said Thursday at the Intermountain Medical Center in the Salt Lake City suburb of Murray. The victim's family spoke publicly of Portillo's plight this past week, but has asked for privacy, Hoyal said. The unaffiliated soccer league, Liga Continental de Fútbol, updated its Facebook posting Sunday with a tribute to Portillo including a numbe of photographs of him refereeing and playing soccer. It also set up a bank account to accept donations for his family. No plans have been announced for a funeral or memorial services. Mario Vazquez, the league president who also was a friend and worked with Portillo, said Sunday everyone in the league had the greatest respect for him.

"We will miss him at the soccer fields. He loved the game and loved doing his job. Ricardo always had a great sense of humor and loved being in the service of others," Vazquez said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the Portillo family during this difficult time. Ricardo will always be with us," he said. Daughter Johana Portillo, 26, said last week that she wasn't at the April 27 game in the Salt Lake City suburb of Taylorsville, but she said she's been told by witnesses and detectives that the player hit her father in the side of the head.

"When he was writing down his notes, he just came out of nowhere and punched him," she said. She did not immediately respond to a text message request for comment The Associated Press sent her on Sunday. Accounts from a police report, Portillo's daughter and others offer further detail what occurred. The teenager was playing goalie during a game at Eisenhower Junior High School in Taylorsville when Portillo issued him a yellow card for pushing an opposing forward trying to score. In soccer, a yellow card is given as a warning to a player for an egregious violation of the rules. Two yellow cards lead to a red card and expulsion from the game. The teenager, quite a bit heavier than Portillo, began arguing with the referee, then punched him in the face. Portillo seemed fine at first, then asked to be held because he felt dizzy. He sat down and started vomiting blood, triggering his friend to call an ambulance.

When police arrived around noon, the teenager was gone and Portillo was laying on the ground in the fetal position. Through translators, Portillo told emergency workers that his face and back hurt and he felt nauseous. He had no visible injuries and remained conscious. He was considered to be in fair condition when they took him to the Intermountain Medical Center. But when Portillo arrived to the hospital, he slipped into a coma with swelling in his brain. Johana Portillo called detectives to let them know his condition had worsened.
    That's when detectives intensified their search for the goalie. By Saturday evening, the teenager's father agreed to bring him down to speak with police. Portillo's family said he had been attacked before, and Johanna Portillo said she and her sisters had pleaded with their father to stop refereeing because of the risk from angry players, but he continued because he loved soccer.

"It was his passion," she said. "We could not tell him no."

Read more: Police: US soccer referee punched by player dies - SFGate

Senior Member Array Warhammer820's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I'm not surprised with all the insane parents and players we have in the US.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warhammer820 View Post
    I'm not surprised with all the insane parents and players we have in the US.
    Not just the US...and insane is a word...temporary maybe...but insane...I used to referee kids sports...some of the behaviour was disgraceful...and that wasn't from trailer trash either

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiling View Post
    Not just the US...and insane is a word...temporary maybe...but insane...I used to referee kids sports...some of the behaviour was disgraceful...and that wasn't from trailer trash either
    I coach 4 sports at a middle school. They are crazy when it comes to their kids. A lot of them imagine their kids have some kind of super ability and any time they get beat someone was cheating.

vCash
    Thanks

A lot of them imagine their kids have some kind of super ability and any time they get beat someone was cheating.
    I think the psychologists have worked out that they are foisting their failed sporting aspirations on their children...weird if you ask me but from what I have seen it makes sense...when I was doing it I knew many of the parents and never bothered to have anything but the most necessary communication afterwards...IMO they were just trash no matter how polite they were or how much money they had...of course this incident was a player assaulting the referee but IMO it originates from the same crazy genes...and I have seen a bit of that as well

vCash
    Thanks

"stop reffing because of the risk from angry players"

i have a hard time believing that. either we have a huge societal problem, or this ref was a real douchebag. not to say its ok to hit a ref, but to think that a youth league is so violent that the refs are getting beaten up- i have a hard time believing it.

i can believe that there are a few spaz kids. but "stop reffing because its dangerous" strikes me as bullshit.

---Update---

I coach 4 sports at a middle school.

parents are the worst arent they?

thats why even in teaching, going up to the university level is so sweet. so rewarding.... no parents.

ive coached at the youth level too. parents these days, in the states, are rabid. its totally embarrassing.

vCash
    Thanks

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Latin tempers eh?

Furious wind bottom. Array Neil S's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

You have to be nuts to be a referee. Kid's games can get really fiesty in England. Not so much the kids, but the watching parents. In Sunday League football (pub leagues) it can really kick off.

Thing is, anyone wanting to be a top ref someday has to start there. Most quit pretty quickly.

Poor guy.
    ".Tony Banks described the English fans arrested in Marseilles as 'brain dead idiots'. That goes for me as well. ".
    Secretary of the Football Supporters Association.

vCash
    Thanks

you have to take charge of the game. some people make bad refs and dont show that authority.

certainly doesnt excuse the kid. but bad refs in many sports, can give way to a feeling of lack of control. thats frustrating and some people dont have the skills to keep perspective on it. which is ultimately the tragedy of the parents- they in increasing number, are the ones who ratchet that all up. the confusion, frustration, and pressure on the kids. its a shame. i coached a sport called lacrosse. coached for some 13 years. seen some really bad parents.

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Sad story.

The ref may have had a pre-existing medical condition because a punch to the head is hardly going to kill 99.99 percent of the population.

As others have stated, it is a societal problem.

Breakdown of simple respect. Fucking jungle.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stfranalum View Post
    parents are the worst arent they?
    Absolutely, I had two parents so far claim that their children were basically all-stars. One of them told me had a fit when I didn't pick his child and said his child could out run any kid in my gym. He is a good kid so I placed him on the team and guess how many races he placed 1st to 3rd in out of 5 meets.........none.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neil S View Post
    Thing is, anyone wanting to be a top ref someday has to start there. Most quit pretty quickly.
    Good point...and because of Darwinism those that survive and get to the top tend to have the following genetic traits:

Total self confidence
    Narcism
    Ruthless ambition
    A hide like a rhino

Furious wind bottom. Array Neil S's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiling View Post
    Total self confidence
    Narcism
    Ruthless ambition
    A hide like a rhino

vCash
    Thanks

Something like this happened in high school. Kid punched another kid in the face at his locker. Bone from his nose went into his brain and killed him. Kid got life in prison. Save the thug act for the prison yards, and make sure to pack plenty of lube

vCash
    Thanks

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Neil S again.

Tell me...he supports Arsenal