International House - Bangkok
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: When School Directors Lose The Plot

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

At some places possibly it's an intimidation and power trip ting....I'd not say for all though.....even if I'm late nothing really happens.

Agree to disagree overall though as I suppose it depends on the individual.

Yeah....come on hypothetically answer it mate....pwease

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
    I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LDMA
    For that matter what's wrong with clocking in, when the idea of signing in is to confirm you are present at the school and at what time.
    I feel sure this mentality does wonders for the apparently already superlative staff-relations at your place.

Posted after 10 minutes 39 seconds:

Quote Originally Posted by kenkannif

Yeah....come on hypothetically answer it mate...
    Hypothetically, I suppose it would depend on how financially desperate I was. I feel so strongly that professionals should not be subjected to this kind of nonsense, that unless I really needed the money, I would opt for the manifestly less-uptight working environment of the place paying 60K. I am not totally averse to prostituting myself and my principles, but will only usually do so out of dire necessity or to achieve a specific objective.

vCash
    Thanks

if you don't like it, leave.

a job's just a job. oh, and signing in isn't prostituting yourself. jeez, some of you guys...

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unwell
    a job's just a job.
    In Thailand it is, I agree. Usually a pretty ghastly one. Sorry, but I am rather selective about who I work for. One of the reasons I got the hell out of Thailand.

vCash
    Thanks

Mine Sweeper Champion!
    if you don't like it, leave.
    The usual crap argument, if you don't like it move somewhere else. If the schools get selective and start wanting proper qualified teachers I guess you'll be ready to fly out on the next plane?

As an educator and as a professional I can see no benefit of signing in and out, maybe some ex-factory workers like it, but there is no way in hell that a qualified teacher is going to sign in and out in any other country and the only reason that some schools get away with it is because some of the detritus that profess to be teachers let them.
    Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I don't think anyone is saying they like it Halt mate....rather it's not a biggie.

vCash
    Thanks

my good haltest,

thanks for the concern but i'd be fine thanks. i'm qualified, experienced and good at my job.

:smile:

you really think that no other teaching gig in anyother country requires you to be accountable of sticking to the hours you get paid for?

what nonsense!

people get hung up on the dumbest shit here in thailand...

of course there's no benefit to you, it's for your employers sake not yours (did i really have to explain that...). and it's absolutely no big deal...is it?

an educator you may be, "professional"? making such a fuss about such an unimportant thing? unwilling to allow your employer to actually hold you in account for sticking to your contracted working hours...hmm.

i guess you've never been an employer eh? wonder why.

vCash
    Thanks

We have to clock in and out at my place of employment.

It has only been in force for about four months and came about as a direct consequence of the same three or four people who would wander in any old time it suited them.

Guess who complained longest and loudest about not being trusted and not being treated as professionals?

vCash
    Thanks

of the same three or four people who would wander in any old time it suited them.
    Was it them?
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

Mine Sweeper Champion!
    i guess you've never been an employer eh? wonder why.
    Actually Unwell you should never assume things.

i'm qualified
    That depends on where you teach and what you teach!

you really think that no other teaching gig in anyother country requires you to be accountable of sticking to the hours you get paid for?
    Personally I do the work that is required which is often more than I am contracted for and I work in my own time as well. I don't have to sign in and I have full resources at my disposal yet I hold myself accountable if I do a bad job and I put in the required time and effort to ensure that everything I do meets my own high standards.

Schools should be more selective in who they hire, more selective in who manages staff, in fact they should just be better managed.

As I said I will not work for a school that insists on swiping in and out every day. I don't need to do it, I come and go on time and I do the job to the best of my ability.

This catch 22 where schools leave it to the last minute to recruit the cheapest white face and then have the balls to complain about the problem of their own devising is tantamount to not being able to see the wood for the trees.

as a direct consequence of the same three or four people who would wander in any old time it suited them.
    Good management would have given a verbal warning to the teachers followed by a written warning and then got rid of them. There are adequate procedures to follow to deal with this situation.

vCash
    Thanks

What's love got to do with it...........

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

signing in makes no sense to me...a time clock at a factory does...finger print clock in things are lunacy, complete and utter lunacy and just a king working on the subjects of his fiefdom...

i sign in at the end of the month for all the day i worked that month...i come to school when i'm expected to teach...i may chat a bit with my collegues after my classes are finished and then i'm out...i rarely miss days...when i do i call ahead and that's that...

...the signing in is for the Thai admins...my boss tells me that...he also jokingly says if i sign in i can get paid and if i don't i won't...so i do i payday...

Posted after 21 seconds:

...and then i go get some cheap pussy...
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

The signing in and signing out procedure using a book (physically written in with a pen) is certainly no biggie - but it's open to abuse. This is often where the problems lie. Human beings are by and large not a very honest lot. There is always some member of staff who will try to bend the rules or be naughty when he/she thinks no one is looking. Come on - who hasn't signed in at 8.55 when the time is really 9.10? There's no one looking so go for it big boy.

Every school I've ever worked at has had one farang teacher screw up a system or a benefit for everyone else. The classic for me has always been the long distance phone call system. If a teacher wants to call home during office hours, he makes the call and enters the time and length of the call in a book. Cometh the end of the month and the arrival of the itemized phone bill, one of the receptionists goes and collects the money off the teacher. What could be simpler? But no - there is always one phone call to London or Seattle that cost 187 baht and incredibly no one in the teacher's room ever made it. End result - now no one is allowed to make long distance phone calls.

Of course that style of management where you punish everyone for one individual's wrongdoing is so very Thai, but we won't go down that route.
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

American Tourist Array DunceCap's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

How about the school where the new hire foreign teacher becomes the pet of the program director, who is a pet of the school director. He is unprofessional has no work ethics, does what he pleases(fights with other very good and professional teachers on more than one occasion), makes the staffroom unusable, no signing in, no meetings, then when other new hires follow his lead, the program deteriorates(sp)and others start to complain (Thai teachers and foreign), there's a staff change---guess who the school keeps?----The director at that school has lost the plot.....hey they have a listing here on ajarn....anyone need a job?
    Miles and miles to go before I sleep...