--> International House - Bangkok
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: When School Directors Lose The Plot

Senior Member Array Hootad Binky's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Nice summation of everything that's wrong with Thai education!

Spending more on signs and walls and concrete than books and supplies.

It's criminal what's going on (or more to the point, not going on) in Issan, with some schools having only barely reliable and or even intermittent teaching.

What's sad and ridiculous is their assumption that no-one notices: the foreign teachers, the parents.

When will Thailand grow up and face its some of its more simple and obvious problems that are so obvious to outsiders? Uncontroversial, fixable things. Then this country could have something to look forward to, get energized about.

They'd better get their sh*t together soon. This country is drifting towards "failed state" status in all but name, at least in terms of education and the ability to carry out elections, to name a couple of things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

American Tourist Array DunceCap's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I like ajarn.com. It is a fun place. I was going to get out my list of great grievances, grandiose gripes, grand groans, grave grumbles and my granduer of grating grim grisly grime, but I won't, because I can't stop growing with the gruesome gritty grubby and grotesque grin.
    Today is "gr" day can you tell?
    Miles and miles to go before I sleep...

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aging one
    of the same three or four people who would wander in any old time it suited them.
    Was it them?

Of course it was.

Two of them made a point of then never coming on time as some kind of protest and now are completely baffled that their contracts are not being renewed.

Teak Door (dot) com Array kingwilly's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LDMA
    For that matter what's wrong with clocking in, when the idea of signing in is to confirm you are present at the school and at what time. I guess the issue for the schools have is that despite wanting to know the actual time the teacher gets to school is that the teacher will invariably bullshit and write what it thinks the school wants to hear, however late they arrive. When an honour system is abused so much as it is in every Thai school I've ever worked at it would seem that ANY employer wanting a more accurate record would appear sensible to implement a system as described above.

Just why exactly are posters on here suggesting it's demeaning for employers to want to see how punctual it's employees are?
    the only time it would be appropriate IMHO is when you are beign paid by the hour.......

if you paid a salary - then fck its up to your professionalism (and that of your immediate supervisor's) to turn up on time do your work - STAY BACK LATE IF NEEDED or even leave early if all duties are done.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LDMA
    but lets face it if I or any other mod bins it under our name and shame rules (which this does come under), I get accused of conflict of interests.
    Fair is fair mate...no naming and shaming of schools means just that! I don't think anyone would accuse you of being naughty if you binned it???

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
    I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic

Teak Door (dot) com Array kingwilly's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

RE SIGNING IN - PAPER OR ELECTRONIC

its my understanding that it is actually a legal requirement in this country

and they can be asked to produce the evidence of each and every employee and dates and times of attendence!

so i guess in this case its not the directors having a power trip but a case of us not seeing the bigger picture.....

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly
    RE SIGNING IN - PAPER OR ELECTRONIC

its my understanding that it is actually a legal requirement in this country

and they can be asked to produce the evidence of each and every employee and dates and times of attendence!
    'Land of the Free'. Yeah. Right.

vCash
    Thanks

Somehow our self-proclaimed professionals remind me of this

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=406

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trep
    Somehow our self-proclaimed professionals remind me of this

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=406
    From the link you posted:

The more incompetent someone is in a particular area, the less qualified that person is to assess anyone's skill in that space....

Keep on scanning!

vCash
    Thanks

Maybe the matter has been solved, but the point is that the school fucked up.

There should be no excuses. Botht teachers should've been paid on time. When I had to return the overpaid salary it had to be done immediatelly.

So it's only fair that the school "deposits" the money and 3000 baht "contract fee" in the teacher's bank account.

I find it a poor excuse to say that by paying me after I'd already quit, the school wanted to be extra cautious by NOT paying the teachers whom had left the school and waiting till someone makes a remark about it?
    It probably is all a stupid mistake from the school's side. Fair enough. The least they can do is paying the salary due to the teachers without any further delay!

Point is. You work, you get paid. on time!! I know that the teacher we're talking about never had a sick day and was a diligent teacher.

Peace .

vCash
    Thanks

Why did you cut the quote short, Rumpole?

The more incompetent someone is in a particular area, the less qualified that person is to assess anyone's skill in that space, including their own.

vCash
    Thanks

Strange some posts seem to be gone? The truth may not be said ?
    What's love got to do with it...........

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trep
    Why did you cut the quote short, Rumpole?

The more incompetent someone is in a particular area, the less qualified that person is to assess anyone's skill in that space, including their own.
    Interesting that neither my present or previous employers, students or colleagues regard me as incompetent, yet you are able to make that judgement based on a few comments on a virtual discussion board.

vCash
    Thanks

I said your claims reminded me of that link, I didn't pass any judgement on your actual abilities.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Podge, in answer to your first post, my school is doing similar things. I've been here 2 years (debating signing a third contract this week, but seriously thinking of not bothering!). It was a great school to start out with. 10 weeks paid vacation, starting salary of 47,500, not too much paperwork, free lunch, health insurance etc.

It is now in the process, in its third year, of disintegrating into just another crap Thai school. New teachers at my school are now being paid 42,500 (I got a 1,200 pay raise at the end of last semester, but that was a far cry from my 3,000 pay raise last year). The vacations have now been cut from 10 weeks to 6 weeks, the paperwork is a lot more, the free lunch SUCKS, they've added 3 hours teaching every week, and I've since found out that our health insurance is worse than useless.

We were also promised PROPER BONUSES this year (last year we got 10,000 and were told that this year we would get a lot more). This year we got 6,000 - that's not even a bonus.

Needless to say, I'm not going to be long for this school. The kids are getting worse, and so is the school.

What gets me too is what huge cowards the Thai admin. are. It was never even mentioned to us that our vacation time had just been cut by FOUR weeks!!! We had to look at this year's schedule and say "Wait a minute, what the fuck is this?"

I'm thinking freelance corporate is going to be the way to go for me. I'm sick of lazy Thai kids that don't listen and don't do any work. And I'm sick of lying Thai bosses that promise you a lot and give you very little.