International House - Bangkok
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: When School Directors Lose The Plot

vCash
    Thanks

I'm thinking freelance corporate is going to be the way to go for me. I'm sick of lazy Thai kids that don't listen and don't do any work. And I'm sick of lying Thai bosses that promise you a lot and give you very little.
    So now you want to go teach the lazy little shits now that they are grown up.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Hey, but at least I won't be yelling "Sit down", "Stop Talking", "What are you DOING?????" for 20 minutes out of every 50 minutes I teach

I taught TOEFL, TOEIC and IELTS my first sixth month's here, plus a couple of corporate classes and I loved it. Teaching kids is rapidly becoming a pain in the rear. I do love my kids, they're funny and sweet, but I'm fooling myself if I think they're actually learning anything - they don't listen, they don't do homework, and no matter what I treat, the school doesn't back us up on disciplinary action and neither do the parents. Waste of my time.

vCash
    Thanks

I have for sure on bad days felt just the same frustations Raph.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raphaela28
    Hey, but at least I won't be yelling "Sit down", "Stop Talking", "What are you DOING?????" for 20 minutes out of every 50 minutes I teach

I taught TOEFL, TOEIC and IELTS my first sixth month's here, plus a couple of corporate classes and I loved it. Teaching kids is rapidly becoming a pain in the rear. I do love my kids, they're funny and sweet, but I'm fooling myself if I think they're actually learning anything - they don't listen, they don't do homework, and no matter what I treat, the school doesn't back us up on disciplinary action and neither do the parents. Waste of my time.
    Those are Thai schools for you: we're fooling ourselves if we think the students are actually learning anything.

Maybe Thai educators - you know, the perfeshonul educators - have a different understanding of what educamaytion is. Maybe it's all keeping face, entertainment, looking pretty, impossible tests that are meaningless.

A few people on this board actually work at real schools in Thailand that really teach actual students truly educating thingers. The rest of us merely instruct Clowning 101.
    "The times I've been mistaken, it's impossible to say" - by the Moody Blues

vCash
    Thanks

...we're fooling ourselves if we think the students are actually learning anything.
    this seems a bit much, things aren't perfect but my kids always learn in my classes.

i think both raph and peace, you're being too hard on yourselves. shit, teaching ain't brain surgery. just set your expectations to a reasonable level, know what you're doing in there (as i'm sure you both do) and have fun! make the 'important' bits clear as day, distract them into actually wanting to communicate with you in english and b's yer u.

don't be so down on yourselves!

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"

vCash
    Thanks

Raph you make it too easy to play so I'ma cut you some slack this time and not jump in with my usual comments.

I am feeling the same as Raph and PB. I'm facing a wall of frustration as my western work ethic is quickly being demolished by the laziness and futility happening all around me. I am not going to sign another gov school contract and will just bump up my hours at the language school I part-time at now. I've been here in China for going on 5 years now and everything I read on this forum holds exactly true for Chinese Schools(except for that ridiculous signing in thing and the assembly and gate duty crap...none of that here that I've heard). I think we may be facing burn out, at least that's what I think I am facing. I hope taking it a bit easier for a term or two might help.

I am finishing my term at one of the top schools in the city here and as has been stated before it seems that the schools with the best rep are usually the worst to work at. In my case I ran into trouble when I actually began the year trying to teach English. The students hated it and it resulted in my being called to the directors office for a chat. I was told that maybe I didn't understand my position at the school. That I was not hired to teach English but to basically be a sounding board for the students to practise talking with a foreigner. To use the English that the Chinese English teachers are teaching them. This left me wondering why the school had made such a big fuss over making sure all my qualifications checked out. I had gotten the impression that if they really wanted a qualified teacher that they were serious about it. Turns out that any old foreign body could do the job their asking and the quals are just more impressive paper they can flash at the parents to increase the tuition.

I really am getting sick of it.

vCash
    Thanks

Raph you make it too easy to play
    Yes, I think we've all shown commendable restraint so far.
    Or would you like to swing on a star?

American Tourist Array DunceCap's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

for me it is just the moronic admin stuff.....the decision makers and the things they decide......
    My mattayom two's this year
    student level: I classify them as beginner 1

This is the book I was told to use.
    Book: Matrix intermediate student by Jude

My diagnostic testing of the students provided me with these results:
    read assess: P6 ...........P=Pratom
    Listen assess: P5-P6
    Speak assess:P6
    Writing assess: P5-M1
    Critical Think assess: P4

The M3 students were given the Upper-intermediate Matrix

and I'm the only native speaker..... EP here stands for Eng Problem
    Miles and miles to go before I sleep...

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by likewise
    Point is. You work, you get paid.
    This is from an interesting article on teflwatch, called Not Getting Paid

Of 53 votes, 32% felt that they would get their due if they gave proper notice. 26% said “no” while 23% said “don’t take chances.” 19% said they thought “maybe” they would get their due if they gave proper notice... A full 49% felt that they would not get paid if they give proper notice... A fence sitting 19% felt that “maybe” they would get their due if they gave proper notice... Add these to the No group and you have more than 2/3 of the teachers who are not sure if they will get their final pay.
    Two thirds. Imagine that.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Cynical lot ain't they mate

If they're legal they're entitled to it by law as well as extra if they've been there a while......but everyone assumes they won't get it so don't bother fighting for their right and all that. Ends up self perpetuating

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
    I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Kenkannif, very true. A friend of mine got stiffed by his school when he left and he reported them to the Labour Dept (I think?) He got his money in less than 10 days once the Labour Dept. got onto the school.

Same thing with deposits in apartment buildings. I've heard of so many people who don't get their deposits back and don't try to do anything about it. Often, all it takes is a quick trip to your local police station (and sometimes a couple of hundred to the cop) and the building is handing over your money to you faster than you can shove it in your wallet!

Posted after 3 minutes 18 seconds:

Long, I think you've hit the nail on the head with the burnout factor. The first year at my school, there were frustrations but I liked my job so much that, most of the time, I ignored it. Now, it's gotten a lot worse, and I think I've reached the end of my tether as far as what I'll put up with now.

My school sold us a bill of goods about "belonging to the FAMILY" etc. and really tried to make us believe we would be treated well. But when push came to shove, we got shafted just like everyone else. Like I said to a friend, "My FAMILY doesn't lie to me, steal from me or cheat me. Don't know about yours?"

All in all, it's the kids that keep me coming back here every day. If it wasn't for the kids, I would have left a month ago when I came back from the US and realized what I'd been promised wasn't going to be forthcoming.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

is there a thai word for promise???????\

i very much doubt it.

my school is pretty good. came on board to start the english program. at the interview, told the pay would go up 5k every year.just got paid. first time since school came back. same money. asked the question. told no. nobody said that.
    approached my boss. (thai) who was there at the time. and she said she can't remember. the principal of the school, who doesn't speak a word of english, said that he did not understand, we, (THERE ARE 2 of US) get more money than the thai teachers. i lost it. first time i've ever used the f word at school.

i really thought i had found "the" school. guess i'll just have to start looking again. :chug:
    to be or not to be.......didn't know will was a tefler

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LDMA
    For that matter what's wrong with clocking in, when the idea of signing in is to confirm you are present at the school and at what time. I guess the issue for the schools have is that despite wanting to know the actual time the teacher gets to school is that the teacher will invariably bullshit and write what it thinks the school wants to hear, however late they arrive. When an honour system is abused so much as it is in every Thai school I've ever worked at it would seem that ANY employer wanting a more accurate record would appear sensible to implement a system as described above.

Just why exactly are posters on here suggesting it's demeaning for employers to want to see how punctual it's employees are?
    Because we are salaried employees, not hourly. Why should anyone have to sign in or punch in to a salaried job? If the issue is that you aren't doing your job. fire the individual, don't dick around with how many minutes he was early or late when you don't pay for those minutes.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts."
    PFC J. Winger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

American Tourist Array DunceCap's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

"Sun Yuhh" is Thai for promise. "Chon sun yuhh gap khun" I promise you.

Sure there are a lot of things here that just kinda fall to the wayside after awhile. Thailand is amazing for awhile, but then only part of it is, then after some more time passes, even less. I never could wrap my mind around the lying thing. My "X" boss, who is still looking for teachers, looked me right in the eye and lied his fkk'en azz off. So, I inked my name. Then, when the truth became evident, I confronted him in front of a bunch of people. He still hasn't found his face. And when the school year ended, I left.

I think this behavior is a cultural tact, that works for the moment, but comes back to bite them in the azz. The problem is it hurts others in the process. It is so so Theravaddha Buddhist.
    Makes me wonder if teaching at the uni level is ok. I am starting become disenchanted. At gov matayom level.

vCash
    Thanks

So, on this basis, that salaried employees should not have to be accountable in their timekeeping, even signing in is an affront to many?

Even the director signs in at ours, albeit on her own little posh table outside of her palacial office. I'm not sure if she'll have to use the fingerprint system when it gets properly implemented as seems the trend in gvt school these days.
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS