--> International House - Bangkok
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: That School Watch

American Tourist Array DunceCap's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

The watch is really straight out boring!!!!

Come on! We know the purpose for which it was created. But I see someone post some thing. Immediately it gets pounced on by every moderator the board has, each one giving their opinion about the posters comments. If the poster comes back with something to defend their post (click) here comes the lock.

besides, if you can't name names of anything, anyone, and your "sour gripe" has to fall into their specific category, described their way.

But, hey, thanks for giving advice to the ten newbies it helped this year. (my estimate)

Now it's time for you to come back with, "make a board of your own."

Rules for what? What would be the harm in letting some threads be just for venting. Untouched by moderators. Let the chips fall where they may. If an organization is mentioned and the story is untrue, who cares? How often would this happen? Very little.(IMO) And those agencies so vigorously defended by the moderators....gimme a break! Do they come under attack so often they need defending? If so, why are they under fire?

One angry customer/worker is not going to ruin the rep of some worthy enterprise.
    And what about some balance? hall of shame/hall of dreams (great idea, i know, thx) a place where some of the truly good schools can be talked about.
    Phil... if you want to say something about these guys(I know it is not easy to do what they do...dedicated blah blah blah) how about showing them what you did to make ajarn so great...(just look at the variety, many types of members, threads for different purposes) how can this be applied to the watch?
    Respectfully Yours,
    -DC-
    Miles and miles to go before I sleep...

Senior Member Array kidneystone's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Yes, it has to be said that Teflwatch is tightly moderated, but then DD you should realise that the lightly moderated paradigm that you put forward has been thried three times now, TSW 1, 2 and 3, and what happened to them?

just watching thats all Array truthteller100's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

phil wrote
    So what are you looking for from such a forum? The entertainment value?

Yes as well as information, which is what we get from here.

:chug:

Phil... if you want to say something about these guys(I know it is not easy to do what they do...dedicated blah blah blah) how about showing them what you did to make ajarn so great...(just look at the variety, many types of members, threads for different purposes) how can this be applied to the watch?
    The information contained in this message is likely to be confidential
    and may be legally privileged. The dissemination, distribution, copying
    or disclosure of this message, or its contents, is strictly prohibited.

Please consider the environment before printing this message

vCash
    Thanks

Kidneystone........ no I am not aware of what happened to them.

perhaps you could list some of the things then I could alter my response accordingly...(and that is a good point to bring up)

I'm sure they weren't downed because of too high an entertainment value

vCash
    Thanks

Seems fine by me, the old TSW was a bit too "sensational"
    What's love got to do with it...........

vCash
    Thanks

The best that anyone can tell, is that certain schools took legal exception to what was being said about them. People who know the truth are unwilling or unable to say exactly who, what or when.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DunceCap

Come on! We know the purpose for which it was created. But I see someone post some thing. Immediately it gets pounced on by every moderator the board has, each one giving their opinion about the posters comments. If the poster comes back with something to defend their post (click) here comes the lock.

besides, if you can't name names of anything, anyone, and your "sour gripe" has to fall into their specific category, described their way.

But, hey, thanks for giving advice to the ten newbies it helped this year. (my estimate)

Now it's time for you to come back with, "make a board of your own."

Rules for what? What would be the harm in letting some threads be just for venting. Untouched by moderators. Let the chips fall where they may. If an organization is mentioned and the story is untrue, who cares? How often would this happen? Very little.(IMO) And those agencies so vigorously defended by the moderators....gimme a break! Do they come under attack so often they need defending? If so, why are they under fire?

One angry customer/worker is not going to ruin the rep of some worthy enterprise.
    And what about some balance? hall of shame/hall of dreams (great idea, i know, thx) a place where some of the truly good schools can be talked about.
    Respectfully Yours,
    -DC-

Dunce Cap:

Please tell me about the agencies that I or my mods vigorously defend.

Teflwatch isn't meant to be exciting. It is merely a place for teachers to vent.

Judging from your post, it seems like you were a victim of the moderation policy, please pm me here or admin on teflwatch with your grievances and I will look into them ASAP. Believe it or not, the most action I have taken against any poster was against a school owner.

Because of the posts here about too many locked threads, I decided to check out just how threads were locked. It turns out we have two locked threads on the Thailand room. One school that has a locked thread is because the owner of the agency came on to post loads of posts against his former teachers. The other is an infamous agency that is verifably bad by LDMA, me and others on this forum.

On teflwatch, you are free to talk about any schools, tell us the name of the school, but you aren't allowed to name your co-teachers or the admins who cause you grief. This is done to protect teachers since we have run into a few school admins who like to say bad things about their teachers and name them.

About a Hall of Dreams, I like the idea. I would love to post a monthly Hall of Dreams, but no one has ever bothered to come on and post a thread about how good their school is. Oops, let me take that back, there is one school in the Mexico room that is rated as good.

Anyways, everyone takes something different from TeflWatch. The site isn't for everyone and I hate coming on here acting like I am defending the site because I am not. I am only defending that fact that we do not practice censorship against teachers. If you have a story to say, you can make your voice heard, if you don't then you don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

I'm not in the mind set at the moment to get into some debate about the good the bad and the ugly of the watch...

The watch does provide a good service. I have said that over and over.

When someone posts, a mod is usually the next poster, the mod then makes suggestions as to changes or that further information should be added.

I looked at the Thailand thread page 3..I saw quite a few lock icons. i saw some on page 1, page 2...and right now i'm not going back to look at pge 4. but I think you see what i 'm saying i saw.

ok, so it not supposed to be disneyland, but does it have to feel like a morg?

I was not victim of mod policy. I did post something there. I had my argument with the mods(plural) I lost. They explained the necessary details I needed to post in order to ligitamize my claim. I was and am unable at this time to put in the right words my complaint.(why i am talking about it here on ajarn is because you(Rico..this a new name..or a disguise?)brought it up.) Besides the fact that posting it there does what? which is part of my point and a lesson to me about teaching in the LOS.
    How many mods does it take to watch one page? Do they have to answer someone's post? (sorry...i'm not in the mind set to deal with this and stay on point)
    You're defending it because I made comments about it. No shame in that. You probably spent a lot of time setting it all up. You and who ever else has done a good job. Hopefully I have given constructive criticism, that is my aim. the watch did not wrong me. I am simply suggesting some improvements to get more viewers, and more utility. Add some pics here and there spruce the place up a bit.

I will remain a viewer, as long as I find what I need there. I am more curious than ever about the closing of the other sites and how that plays into you adjusting things so this one will last. Don't sheath your sword just yet. I may be back to take a few swings later.

vCash
    Thanks

mods moderating mods moderating mods. has anyone looked at the total posts realtive to how many are made by mods vs regular posters?

vCash
    Thanks

Interesting watdog.....hmmmm bet they are counting right now.

vCash
    Thanks

Watdog
    As I remember when the last TSW died you were all for starting a new one yourself, came on here and asked for volunteers to help even. yet nothing seemed to come of it, why was that? lose the will or something? realise how much doodoo you could get in if it started going the way the old TSW's did? If you had had the bottle to go through with your plans then i might have a little more sympathy for your plight now. as it is all I can say to you is that sympathy is in the dictionary between sex and syphillis.

vCash
    Thanks

sympathy? plight? bottle? the new folks ("rico") at the current incarnation tsw were handpicked by phil/ldma. he was granted access to the old site to retrieve threads to maintain a bit of continuity. the tefl gods did not see fit to provide this opportunity to anyone else. my comment, regarding perceived over-moderation stands. no need for sympathy. got no plight. bottle? interesting term.

vCash
    Thanks

Kidneystone.....Why are you throwing spat? Are you on the dean's list?

Why don't you come forth with the goods on the old TSW's?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

In the interest of transparency, approximately 25% of all posts are made by mods or admins on the forum. This includes notices made on forums and posts made on moderator-only forums. I thought it would have been much higher until I did the bean counting.

I appreciate your constructive criticism, DunceCap, making anything better sometimes takes an outsider looking in.

vCash
    Thanks

i believe it was my constructive criticism on this point, rico. and your welcome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast