International House - Bangkok

Thread: TEFL at Chiang Mai University like? Someone who's done it?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

TEFL at Chiang Mai University like? Someone who's done it?

A friend of mine did the TEFL at Chiang Mai University and said it was really good. So I am thinking of doing it myself. But he told me that it is pretty tough - has anyone else done it that could tell me how tough it really is. I know that they will refund 75% of money if you fail and/or give you a chance to repeat the course. I don't have a degree - I was suprised to hear that they don't require one - however, I don't think I am a dummy by any means - but I would hate to get myself into something over my head. I am really attracted by the fact that many of the grads are working at the Language Institute there - on pretty good pay for CM. Can anyone help me?

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I don't have a degree - I was suprised to hear that they don't require one
    How many other courses have you 'researched'? I don't think any of them require a degree.
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

Senior Member Array MisterStretch's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

That's probably true. I'm unaware of any course that requires a university degree.

As far as it being 'pretty tough', any good course will be. There's an awful lot of information to assimilate in only 4 weeks.

vCash
    Thanks

Don't be a scaredycat, blackdave.

Go in guns blazin'! :chug:
    "If you're not interested in changing where you work (and thus the student population, obviously) then a) your success at applying various and sundry teaching techniques is unlikely to have anything to do with how effective they are in general, and b) your sweeping generalizations about Thai students serve no purpose but to fuel your inertia and your feeling of being an 'insider'. Sadly (for you) few who read your sweeping generalizations will perceive it that way, but hey if it makes you feel good, knock yourself out." -zeusdogg

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

TEFL at CMU very good!!!

I did my TEFL at Chiang Mai University in April. It is a very good course and I would highly recommend it. I did a CELTA many many years ago and did the TEFL at CMU just as a refresher. The curriculum at CMU was similar to the CELTA but I think that there was more emphasis on teaching in Thailand. I was really happy I did it and very impressed with the whole place, very professionally run. no, you don't need a degree but if you do have one you can use the course as credit on any ESL postgrad studies you do. The one bad thing I have to say about it was it was hard to get into the course there were about 30 people applying for the course and they kept me waiting awhile before I found out if I got in or not it meant that I almost didn't do the course. I would also say "go for it" it is a tough-ish course but I really felt prepared to teach english after I'd finish and I guess that what I paid for in the first place! Hope that helps. You can PM if want anymore info

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

You won't get a job at CMU's language institute without a degree.

Two people with 1 post each both talking very positively about a commercial enterprise. ???

Anyone with more than 1 post done it?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Dr. Matt will reply if he wishes, but I find it difficult to believe that if the TEFL program itself hires Ph.D.'s and MA-TESOL instructors, that the Language Institute of a good Thai university would hire non-bachelors to do more than sweep the floors.

Susan's right, though, that the TEFL program at CMU has such a long list of candidates wishing to enroll, that they can't handle all the applicants. That kind of puts doubts to that other thread about how the programs must be discounting the tuition for a lack of applicants.
    "The times I've been mistaken, it's impossible to say" - by the Moody Blues

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Hate to contradict you, especially an old mate like you! but we DO hire people at the Language Institute who DO NOT have a degrees IF they have done the Chiang Mai University TEFL, this was the main reason that we started the program in the first place, so that we could have a supply of teachers. Something which is becoming critical now we are moving into our new teaching complex. We are able to do this and obtain WP's because the university has a provision with the MOE to hire "special lecturers" when needed. I, personally, believe that this is a good idea because I have seen A LOT of good teachers who don't have degrees and A LOT of teachers with degrees who are not such good teachers. So what I am saying is that a degree obviously isn't the mark of whether you can teach or not. We had a woman working with us since Oct 2005, who found it hard to get work elsewhere because her lack of degree and I would say that she is one of the best teachers we have. I also know that the Department of English has one or two non-degreed teachers who have taught there for many years and are knockout teachers. I suppose I am more than a little bias. I, myself, left school at 15 and worked till I was in my early 30's then started university at 34! Yes, it is true that we have a lot of applicants however we are attempting to hire more trainers. I usually interview applicants and what I am looking for, in general, is someone who I believe will get work in Thailand AND who might be able to work with us at the Language Institute (which is still the best place I have ever worked in my life). Sometimes, for a number or reasons I suggest that people consider TEFL's other than ours(We have a certain approach to EFL that not the right fit for everyone) Cheers. Matt Director,TEFL, CMU

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Can somebody give me advice on weather to do CELTA in Uk or TEFL at CMU?

I've been coming to chiangmai for the last couple of years on a half and half split :D
    Currently in the uk, I have a degree and finally decided I want to live & work outside of Europe.

I have researched Tefl courses and found a great Celta course (which I have read carries the most weight) in the UK for about 1200 I will be moving to Japan to pursue teaching.
    bearing this in mind would anyone recommend doing a Celta in my home country or weather the Tefl at CMU would be just as good.
    To be honest I would prefer to be back in lovely CM for a month rather than we Devon!!!! but I want the best course which gives me the best grounding and chances for gaining employment.

thanks for any help, :D

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Hi
    Could you start a new thread because the info above your post is over five years old.