View Poll Results: Are there more filipino hires at your workplace?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 51.85%
  • No

13 48.15%
--> International House - Bangkok
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Your Uni / School Hiring Filipino ESL Teachers?

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Is Your Uni / School Hiring Filipino ESL Teachers?

Quote Originally Posted by Umbuku
    My school runs two programs.
    One is a bilingual program staffed by almost exclusively native speakers. There are a few mainland Europeans but there English is of a high standard. Philippino teachers are sometimes used in the program when the school is understaffed or for relief.
    The second program is a mini bilingual program with fewer subjects and classes in English. This is staffed entirely with Philippino teachers.
    Is there any difference in the work of the two depts., umbuku?

What's the rationale for having one dept. staffed by Europeans and one by filipinos, I wonder?

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus Array Umbuku's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

The mini bilingual program uses the same texts and curriculum but one year behind the bilingual program.
    The students get half the time with the teachers and less subjects, maths, science and social being the only three, the English subject is taught by Thai English teachers.
    For this the parents pay about two thirds the fees of the bilingual program, around 40,000 baht a year.

In comparison the bilingual program uses native speakers and has six to eight subjects depending on grade level and costs 60,000 baht a year.
    Faith, by itself, isn't a good enough reason to believe. Instead, a belief must be defensible through reason, logic, and evidence.
    The idea that faith is somehow justified by the fact that the beliefs cannot be proven is a truly Orwellian position to adopt - not to mention intellectually and ethically dangerous.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

We have something like that too. M4, 5, & 6 with about 30 per class. All the classrooms have a marginal AC, walls that haven't been painted for 40 years, a broken TV, and no DVD player @ 4,000 a month, about half. The rector has a BMW.

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus Array Umbuku's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

It's a marketing ploy.
    After a year or two of slow advancement in the mini bilingual program. This not being only because they have non native speaking teachers. The parents usually bite the bullet and fork over the extra 20,000 a year for the full bilingual program.

Alternately they also have the 'prestige' of saying their child goes to ******* bilingual school.

The student population is about an 80/20 split between bilingual and minibilingual.
    Parents will choose a cheaper non native staffed program over native speakers?
    Not in this quantum reality.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

After a year or two of slow advancement in the mini bilingual program. This not being only because they have non native speaking teachers. The parents usually bite the bullet and fork over the extra 20,000 a year for the full bilingual program.
    It really all depends on the wishes of the parents. I've tried several times to get the school to find out exactly why their parents decided to put them in an EP. We have a batch of M6 finishing this year. They are certainly not the cream of the crop, but quite a few already have been accepted into international programs (and reputable ones at that). It seems that most of them are not interested in the 0-net or a-net exams. However out m4 students already go to extra Thai classes, so that they can sit those exams. I know face is involved, but I can't figure out whey they would struggle through and english program, just to try and enter a Thai-language program at uni. It doesn't make sense. If they want to 'learn english', why not just go to a language school?

American Tourist Array DunceCap's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

so, from what I have read, only my area is hiring filipinos en mass.

umbuku and jd both said they have a few filipino teachers. I take that as few and far between.
    Miles and miles to go before I sleep...

vCash
    Thanks

more filipinos, less of us. sounds good to me...

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DunceCap
    so, from what I have read, only my area is hiring filipinos en mass
    Some schools are getting rid of them (or not employing them at all), while some are picking them up. Just imagine if you had a Filipino at the head of your school, then how many would you have....I'm sure there are schools like this.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly
    your all being PC - phillipino teachers are complete shite!
    Not in my experience

I have know several Fillipino teachers and they are some of the best teachers I have known. They are honest, hard working, friendly, popular with students AND they don't complain like a lot of falang teachers do.

I have 6 US & UK teachers at my school and I would happily replace half of them with Fillipino's if I could.
    Know yourself first and then others.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

The mini bilingual program uses the same texts and curriculum but one year behind the bilingual program.
    The students get half the time with the teachers and less subjects, maths, science and social being the only three, the English subject is taught by Thai English teachers.
    For this the parents pay about two thirds the fees of the bilingual program, around 40,000 baht a year.

In comparison the bilingual program uses native speakers and has six to eight subjects depending on grade level and costs 60,000 baht a year.
    Sorry off the point a little but how much typically is a Bangkok education. in Nongkhai the most expensive Prtom school is 6000 baht a term whilst only english program available is 12000 baht a term. both in my experience are shit employing as many token ferrangs as they can get and producing no english speakers. My school 2500 baht a term and some moan about that.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Missle Command Champion!

I don't really know about the typical cost of a Bangkok education, but at my school the cost of the intensive program, where everything is in Thai except for English, which is taught by native speakers, is about 25,000 baht per term. The English program is about double that at about 50,000 baht per term. To this there are other costs and fees, of course.

vCash
    Thanks

At my school, we had one Filipino & three Farangs (two white & one non-white). The school got rid of the Filipino (over my protests, as she was a good teacher) and replaced her with another Farang.

At another school I work at part time, there were 3 Filipinos last semester. One was fired for 'being immoral! ' and one quit because she got tired of being treated like a slave. The only one who stayed has a heavy accent, is a crappy teacher and is as dumb as a post. The two new teachers are both English- and are both being payed more than twice the salary of the Filipinos for fewer working hours.

Senior Member Array Just another BOF's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Phillipinos have a worse education system than Thailand. We have two exchange students at our school who are in Grade 12 and 19 in the Phillipine and are basically at the level of grade 9 and 7. A university degree is meaningless if you can qualify with a doctorate at 23 as a norm. I met one flip with a minor in spelling! I had to ask if she had graduated at Hogwarts University, she didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

The Thai education system is never going to improve if they rely on people from a country with a worse education system.

One more thing. PHILLIPINAS ARE NOT NATIVE SPEAKERS. Sorry to shout but when two or more flips are together they never speak English, they speak Tagalog.
    BOOM BOOM

vCash
    Thanks

Even a heavily accented Filipino would be better at teaching conversational English than 99% of Thai English teachers. And the kids might be exposed to teaching techniques which are a pedagogical advance upon the rote crap they're subject to for most of their educational experience. If Indians employed by outsourced call centres can be trained to sound exactly as if you're listening to a fellow English/American/Aussie citizen, I'm sure that Filipino's could too. Be aware that what could be a trend could quite possibly be the evolution of an opinion which if given enough scaffolding (ie new teacher regs) could be indicative of a new educational strategy. The Filipino's I've met are hard-working and not into substance abuse. (But they do like a little bit of the good old in-out). It would be very silly indeed if the correlations between Tefled white native speaker, degreed non-white 'native' speaker and student success in the language had not already been researched. And my guess is that the margins aren't as streets-wide apart as some egocentric teachers on this forum might have deluded themselves to believe. It might be a good move for some of you Teflers who've found yourselves to be suddenly unemployed to take a look at the potential as job recruiters in India or the Philippines.

American Tourist Array DunceCap's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

munted, I am sure a cassette tape would do just fine.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast