International House - Bangkok
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Would Appeal to You In A Low Paying Job?

ocean cloud hermit Array daneel's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: What Would Appeal to You In A Low Paying Job?

Hi Torbek, I am in the same boat here, scratching my head every day. In the end I find the budget just isn't there and clients do not want to hear anything. As soon as we want to talk about budget they go blank. I am talking about 10% increase in budgets here. Now government agencies are actually cutting their budgets by up to 25% take it or leave it. If we don't take it I know who will and sorry, over my dead body before that happens. I don't want a bunch of lunatics touching my students, it may sound very strange but that is how I feel.

We are not perfect but our teachers do sense that we are very serious about our job and want to provide the best possible environment wthin the constraints of our budget.

I am looking into funding from other areas as well now but little hope there as well, budgets are going to Laos and Cambodia right now. Other avenues maybe?

In the end it comes to this: There can be as many freebies as one want but if you can't offer the right financial package, teachers wont stay and I don't blame them.

Our teachers know what their counterparts earn, do comparisons and start to question their value. Same sentiments as stated in many replies above.

We will loose some good teachers very soon and I just hope I can fill the places. The red tape doesn't help either. Friends of mine who were willing to help out (volunteer) to get over rough periods just don't want to come anymore because of utter confusion at immigration policies.

Nuff ranting for now.

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

...sorry T, I can't think of a thing that would interest me in any job with a salary lower than low salary i'm getting now...

...what keeps me where I am other than personal reasons, is our boss gives most of us block scheduling...he catches hell for it from the regular program Thai teachers, but that single fact of stacking all my classes together and not being required to be on campus when i'm not in the classroom goes a long way to placate me on the low salary issue...

...what i'd like to do for my next job, if i were caught in a provincial or sub provincial school like i am now, is to go in and get the job, then tell them i'm only available afternoons or mornings, before or after lunch...it's a hard thing to get but now that i've had it, well it's going to be hard to give up...

...that's my saam baht...
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

vCash
    Thanks

im considering a uni job that pays 25k.....its professionally where i want to go though- teaching at a university. my long term plan is to do that for 2 years and go on for a phd.

so the original question- what would appeal to you--- in that job:

-working with graduate level students and/or english majors
    -the ability for professional growth and responsibility
    -editing papers and advising
    -relaxed times for office hours

with a masters, i feel like im making the right sarcifices in order to get the professional experience i want. its a stepping stone, and a fun one at that. im excited to get my hind quarters to thailand and start!

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stfranalum
    im considering a uni job that pays 25k.....its professionally where i want to go though- teaching at a university. my long term plan is to do that for 2 years and go on for a phd.

so the original question- what would appeal to you--- in that job:

-working with graduate level students and/or english majors
    -the ability for professional growth and responsibility
    -editing papers and advising
    -relaxed times for office hours

with a masters, i feel like im making the right sarcifices in order to get the professional experience i want. its a stepping stone, and a fun one at that. im excited to get my hind quarters to thailand and start!
    Don't hijack my bloody thread! I'm doing research here!

(But in relation to your situation, you might want to consider the Mahidol job currently advertised in the Bangkok Post. They'll like the Masters and pay much more than 25,000. About 30 minutes out of BKK by van supplied by the Uni in mornings...45 to an hour home.

But as I said on another thread, speak to an incumbent teacher there as well to make sure you appreciate the full situation before accepting...)
    Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

About 30 minutes out of BKK by van supplied by the Uni in mornings...45 to an hour home.
    Now this is scary.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonny danger
    Now this is scary.

Just one of the reasons I left!

(Actually as Thai van drivers go, they weren't too bad and occasionally responded to a "cha cha noi!" I would catergorise them as just "friggin' crazy" rather than the higher level of "fuckin' suicidal"...)

vCash
    Thanks

This is one area where Korea has it all over Thailand. Koreans don't want to die. Traffic death has always been a concern to me. I don't want to part smothered under 13 people in a burning minivan with my last seconds of sight being 40 Thais standing on the side of the road laughing.

vCash
    Thanks

^ Tragic image! But quite true...

Mine is a fear of being stabbed, and slowly bleeding death, by some unemployed 18 year old Somchai with a gut full of Sang Sam as he tries to regain face for some slight I've committed of which I am not even aware.

Hence I avoid eye or any other kind of contact with Thai guys in places serving alcohol...

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonny danger
    This one looks pretty good to me, Tors.

Look again then mate.

Quote:
    Having 100% support from management.

How on earth do you quantify that? Indefinable pie in the sky stuff. Ditto the following...

Quote:
    Nice students and co-workers.

Quote:
    Not having to work with disgraceful, embarrassing foreigners.

How on earth do you quantify that? Indefinable pie in the sky stuff. Ditto the following...
    Just to use a few examples from my Korean school:

100% support - unfortunately there is little I can do to affect the over-all curriculum, as I only supplement Korean teachers' classes, but when it comes to my show and other things that concern me they're behind me 100%. If I have a problem with a student, they take care of it; I can count on one hand the number of times I've complained about a particular student and something's always been done and it's always ended with a contrite student getting marched down to the staff room to apologise to me. When my computer crashed the computer teacher immediately spent an hour getting it fixed. When my water pump or A/C broke, the vice principal immediately sent someone from the admin office over to my house to check it out and get it repaired asap. When I proposed an English speech contest the Korean teachers went out of their way to arrange one in front of the whole school; they made a hash of it, but nevertheless I had to commend their response and effort.

Nice students and co-workers - a difficult thing to judge objectively, to be sure, but there are schools that are receptive to and appreciative of foreigners and ones where there's a great deal of antagonism between the foriegner and some of the staff and / or students. I get none of that. Sometimes the students are a bit chatty or cheeky, but when they do misbehave it's usually a matter of such immaturity that it's hard not to laugh. In any case there's no question who has the upper hand and usually I just don't have enough time for every student who wants my attention (in a positive way). My co-workers have been consistantly kind to me to a man / woman.

Not having to work with disgraceful, embarrassing foreigners - I'm the only foreigner. No worries there. I'll be delighted if I never have to work with another white (or black or Indian) person again in my life.

If I could move all this to Thailand I just might consider working for a third what I make ... just to live in Thailand.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by torbek
    speak to an incumbent teacher there
    thanks man. hopefully i wont be in a situation like that- those 50/50 schools.

theres a bunch of alumni (thais) working at unis- ive been offered jobs before because i went to my school- but now am much more prepared to go to LOS. i turned down a couple of those offers, and hope those connections still work a couple years later.

but i appreciate the heads up. i want the best teaching situation most of all. money is indeed a factor- but i want to stay at a place for 2 years. if its a cowboy joint, i wont like it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny danger
    Koreans don't want to die
    youve got a good reason to be wary of vehincles man. but i beg to differ- koreans arent thais- but they sure as hell dont drive like westerners. i thought they were crazy drivers until i went to LOS. safe and secure hangooks are not. not the ones i knew anyways.

vCash
    Thanks

I figure as long as a national driving habit is predictable you can learn good defensive measures.

vCash
    Thanks

^good point man. you can react to something that predictable.

when its random, you can use 'kharma' as an excuse!

vCash
    Thanks

haha u think a minibus is dangerous?

I have to catch a 40 minute song tao to work every day, sometimes I gota hang off the back like a monkey...

They go fast and its quite dangerous sometimes but its safer than riding the motorbike!

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stfranalum
    but i want to stay at a place for 2 years. if its a cowboy joint, i wont like it.
    Mahidol is certainly not a cowboy joint.

But the department in question has a high turnover of foreign English teachers. I was lecturing in management subjects, not English, so many of the reasons suggested for the high turnover was second hand...hence my suggestion to speak with an incumbent teacher to get an employees perspective.

Otherwise, its a good gig. Excellent facilities. Good pay.

vCash
    Thanks

bcqcboy, the point I was making was that your demands were all extremely subjective, and unless you make them more specific then different people will take them to mean different things. Guaranteeing these things as you've written them to a prospective employee would just be begging for trouble.
    Last edited by blackjack; 23rd January 2007 at 12:43.
    Or would you like to swing on a star?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast