There are a few schools advertising for teachers starting next school year (April/May). Is it better to commit now or wait until it gets a bit closer to the start of the year?
Does it mean the schools may be a little bit more together ie., not waiting to the last moment to recruit?
I am not sure to commit to something now or wait (looking at 30 000up to teach kids in Issan) - what do the more experienced teachers/recruiters think?
Any advice appreciated.
No point committing now, Slim Chance, there's no advantage in it for you. You don't know what's going to come up between now and the beginning of the school year. Weigh up your offers and choose the best one just before term starts (whether or not you commit now or at the start of term, they STILL won't have their sh#t together by then :smile: ).
Or would you like to swing on a star?
Well, the schools are advertising now because they want to have enough time for initial screening to get the right person (qualified teacher) in.
I suggest you appear for as many interviews as you can and then choose the best, same way as schools or agencies do.
I'd say wait to the last minute when the schools are desperate and in a feeding frenzy- it's a teacher's market out there right now, after all. The ratio of your perceived value to your credentials increases exponentially as the school approaches its deadline for the opening. You don't do yourself any favors by tying yourself up in a contract 2 months before anyone really cares.
That's not how it should work, but how it does work.
"Teachers, we are having some technical problems with our PA system. If you are having any difficulty hearing this announcement, please send a student to the main office to let us know."
Heard in a U.S. Public School
Last year, having taught long enough, and having good recommendations, I looked from early February through the tenth day of May. One demo without an interview. Finally I got a phone call around the 12th, and I was working right after that. Granted, I was looking outside BKK or CMai, but they didn't start seriously looking for teachers until May.
But you're right that the schools who plan ahead do start looking sooner. We started a new program on 17 May and were just talking today about how ill-prepared the whole thing was. Didn't get the second teacher for several weeks, got the wrong textbooks late, weren't ever given the tools to do the same job. I think I'll stay because we've learned from our mistakes. I would not accept a job at the last minute for a new program.
"The times I've been mistaken, it's impossible to say" - by the Moody Blues
If the job pays 45k or more and you only have a BA (and not a BEd) take it now. Less than 45k, wait.
more than 45 in issan. shurely shome mistake.
"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"
Sorry, I didn't read that bit.Originally Posted by Unwell
30k in Issan is okay, but I'd still wait on that one...
What can you do to earn some income in the meantime?
It's like I'm speaking a foreign language or something...
I have just started sending resumes to schools in Thailand with a view to arranging interviews for February, when I will be arriving in Bangkok.
I must say that I have not been swamped with replies (I have the basic credentials, B.A. CELTA ). I also have M.A. but as most people know, an M.A. from Cambridge University is really just an honorary qualification, given to all B.A. graduates.
I wonder is the poor response due to a lack of planning by schools? Do they leave everything to the last minute? Or is it maybe that I am not yet in the country and they do not want to waste time dealing with somebody who may not even turn up?
Interestingly, I got a reply from an International School (Wow!). The headmaster replied and thanked me for my "interesting" C.V. and said that should an interview be appropriate, he would be in touch shortly.
I got the impression that disguised underneath the super-polite language was a large "V" sign! Maybe I am wrong but that was my first reaction.
I think maybe I should follow the general advice on this forum which is to look for work when in the country and not take the first offer
Well, yes. If you had sent those resumes a week or two before school starts you would've gotten plenty of responses. It's a waste of your time to plan ahead in most cases.Originally Posted by JohnFl
The exception is International schools, which do plan ahead. But if you don't have an education degree then the only way they'll hire you is at the last minute (and at a reduced salary) as well.