--> International House - Bangkok
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unity in the Tefl world

A lousy and daring fellow Array Bubba's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Unity in the Tefl world

those that say it isn't are defeatests
    No. Realists. There is quite a bit of solidarity between teachers at good schools - the British Council for instance, but solidarity between TEFlers in general ? Maybe in a sensible country, like Germany, but here, where at east 30% of the profession is made up of the criminally insane ? Its not going to happen.

Hate to ask, but have to ... how long have you been teaching over here ?

Oh yeah, I don't understand your last line. Could you rephrase it please ?
    Nuts In A Blender

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba
    at east 30% of the profession is made up of the criminally insane
    jeez bubba, you're being optimistic here...

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"

stāj wən proˇgenˇiˇtor Array IsaanAlex's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Bubba wrote:
    The lot of you are a bunch of dribbling misfits and there are damn good reasons why you don't live in your home countries :p
    and

at east 30% of the profession is made up of the criminally insane

I think these are some of the most accurate comments you have made on the board in quite some time, Bubba.

Alex

. Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unwell
    jeez bubba, you're being optimistic here...
    Not at all. That's 30% criminally insane, 30% merely insane, 30% merely criminal, and 10% who are just funny looking.
    - Reg

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barcaman
    ... but I feel very strongly when I see one website slagging off another because of personal differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barcaman oncemore
    ... Firstly BP I am not in the least bit interested in the war on words going on between you and Teflwatch.
    Well if I gave the impression that I was slagging someone, namely yourself, I want you to know up front that was not my intention... However... Not a day goes by that someone does not bust my white candy ass for wanting to teach in Thailand. My professors, even my own academic advisor is riding my ass. Therefor, it is in my best interest to sponge up as much info as I can.

From what I have seen from the 9 or so previous threads of this nature... words are simply that, just words, and a little elbow grease would be a good incentive to get said ball rolling.

Are you -SURE- your not interested in inter-message board fighting?

Yours,
    Norng Citan

vCash
    Thanks

Sorry Bubba I can't see a thing since I broke my glasses on a motercycle last weekend. Took me ages to sort out new ones. They made some for me but they were no good. I think that you are a little abrasive with your comments and it takes one to know one in the insane department be it criminal or otherwise. I suppose I'm alright Jack is your motto. I can see where the fist fight came in in your narrow minded bubble. If you must know I have been here for five years. I have taught ESL for 18 years. I came here to seek a change but I am leaving soon mainly because it is not the same place as it was. I think there are a number of people doing the same.

A lousy and daring fellow Array Bubba's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Sorry Bubba I can't see a thing since I broke my glasses on a motercycle last weekend.
    Sorry to hear that. Most of my comments are tongue in cheek, but I also think they are generally accurate. And just to clear things up, I have seen fist fights amongst TEFLers; I have never been involved in a fist fight with a TEFLer except to step and and try to separate two angry teachers.

I just don't see any chance of unity. There are just too many weird people in the Thai TEFL industry. Consider:

You have professionals at places like the BC who take themselves and their jobs very seriously.
    You have backpackers working for 200 baht an hour who just want to save some cash then move on.
    Middle-aged alcoholics
    Fantasists who claim they were really rich in their old lives
    People who do it just as something to do - often retirees or expat wives
    Youngsters fresh out of university
    Brutal cynics who hate everything and everyone
    People who are trying to set up an "import-export" business.
    People who actually care about what they are doing
    etc etc etc

All with different agendas and concerns. Its hardly a homogenous group, and even if it were, wild cards like low salaries, dodgy working conditions, arbitary and badly thought out visa regulations, the kind of people who leave their homelands to come and teach TEFL overseas for low wages (I don't for one minute think this is a bad think - I LIKE a lot of these people. I think they are GROOVY), etc, etc.

There is very little chance of unity. I mean, have you ever seen anything over here that would suggest that we are capable of it ? Besides your heartfelt "Why can't we all be friends" pleas ... ?

stāj wən proˇgenˇiˇtor Array IsaanAlex's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

^

This is not even considering that if even if the foreigners were cohesive, and posed a 'threat' to the statis quo (in their favor)...the Thais reaction.

I could see a strike...to prove a point...and a farang getting killed to prove another.

Alarmist?

IA
    My mom's different.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MisterStretch
    There are a couple of logistical issues that make such a proposal fairly unworkable in this country
    well said in post 6 man.

what is solidarity without action? rambling nonsense thats all. frustration and no action.

the teachers assoc thread is the best discussion here on that. there are some serious posters on it.

i for one, dont give a fuck if someone gets busted falsifying who they are. in this climate of criminals, you gotta be yourself and not lie about you you are. we had a teacher at my school who was a convicted criminal. when the acusation came, he bolted. the whole situation REEKED.

i feel horrible about people being put in jail for it, but the govnt needs to send a message. its a bad move on their part, but you gotta at least see their logic in it. disagree yes, but its not our native country.

the clamping down of teachers and who they say they are-- how in the world can that hurt the profession?

i for one, wont stand up for solidarity if it means backing up someone who lives in the shadows. if they arent qualified to teach, then they shouldnt. who gave them the right to lie?

vCash
    Thanks

I think you are right S but your attitude stinks that is why teachers here get walked over. I for one do not agree with false documents and have no sympathy for anyone who gets caught. I agree with the clamping down of teachers and have been through the hoops to get legal myself. Bubba makes some excellent observations and with a good sense of humor to boot. I think the unity side does not have to go as far as you all are trying to make out. There is on this site most of the time and most of the writers are educated emough to put over their point. The goalposts get moved so many times for teachers here. I don't think it is too much to ask for a guideline so we know where we stand and that guideline is adhered to. That type of unity can only do good. There are many things that we can work together on and this is one of them. Why do you all stay here? What keeps us here? I was thinking this only this morning. Most of the things that made me come and stay here in the first place no longer exist.

vCash
    Thanks

where we stand and that guideline is adhered to.
    how about honesty for starters

Why do you all stay here?
    because thailand is beautiful, relaxing, and teaching thais is a lot of fun.

damn, i for one, aint unified on this crap.

can we lower the bar any more???

wheres the professional development unity? this is all about keeping the bar low and "standing up for your rights", and not earning them. lets see more threads about grammar and how to get a class more communicative. thats a better tstart than a whiners' circle jerk. if you want to be respected, you gotta bring home the bacon with teaching.

and i dont care if my attitude stinks. i saw a ton of fakers in thailand it made me sick. when i was there, i had only one the of of a couple minimum qualifications, a BA.thats it. and realy, thats barely enough. every teachers should at least have a tefl cert- even with a BA. how in the world can you argue otherwise? -or- you;d say its not a good idea to get traning while being a teacher?

really answer that question. and dont give me the old line, "well any speaker can teach english becuase it like language coaching"....the questions is, how can learning the trade in more depth hurt? its not like we need to make people jump through a thousand hoops- but basically- who would argue against more training? any takers care to say that they would rather not learn more? (and its a punk answer to dis the tefl cert programs in thailand as a reason you dont need them)

i think theres a lot of arrogant teachers in thailand that get complimented on doing an average job at best. some feel they dont need to learn. as ive said before, it is painfully ironic to hear a TEACHER dissing more training, especially if not trained in any way in tefl.
    Last edited by stfranalum; 30th January 2007 at 11:55.

SageAndOnion

Quote Originally Posted by Citan
    even my own academic advisor is riding my ass.
    Are you cheating on me Citan?

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Citan
    Not a day goes by that someone does not bust my white candy ass for wanting to teach in Thailand. My professors, even my own academic advisor is riding my ass.
    they discourage you from going there to teach? im surprised to hear professors say that.

are they telling you to go to another country instead? if so, which places, and what are their rationales?

in my experience in academia, most professors are delighted to hear that their grads are going on adventures while working. maybe youre at a really prestigious university and its considered a step backwards. i can imagine that. but you look young man- and how a prof wouldnt understand your desire to live in a warm beautiful place and soil your royal oats is beyond me.

citan- couple Q's for ya:

what uni you at?
    what do yhr profs say?
    what major you in?

any more info. its curious as to why tan academic doesnt want you to go on an adventure like that.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Our perceptions of Thailand are twisted Franny. We like it here but to most of the rest of the Western World it's a sex/corruption/coup/drug/bad runway capitol.

Say there's a semi-affluent neighborhood where five Asian families live, Lao, Burma, Cambo, Thai, and Philippine. Since all Asians look the same to whitey he might have a liberal impulse from time to time and see some good in these families. Lao, Burma and Cambodian families are political refugees from communist nations, send them back where they came from and they'll get beheaded. Philippinos, well we got enough of them already .. they're Mexicans but with less children. So who are these Thai people? Let's play the word association game, Franny: Thai - stick, coup, army, hoz, airport, ladyboys, agogo, AIDS, terrorists. An Iranian family would be better off.

vCash
    Thanks

I pity your students Citan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast