International House - Bangkok
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New teacher leaves without warning

HMS Kingfisher .... Array Jonah!'s Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: New teacher leaves without warning

Quote Originally Posted by CBR
    We employed a new teacher at my school two weeks ago, and he seemed to be experienced and well qualified. He came to school for a few days, but then left without notification, taking with him some course books and my lesson plans and course material from last year. Since then he has not responded to any phone calls and messages.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation? I wouldn't like him to do this at another school, and would like to get the books etc back.

I left a school after four years, leaving half of my stuff if that rings a bell. I didn't say anything other than.

"I am a teacher who cares for the students and worries about their future." Sometimes people come and go for different reason CBR, what you have to understand is the consequencies of not returning a few items of yours is completely overshadowed by other problems, One been he/she didn't research the school first on school watch, two the teachers were complete arseholes to him/her and three the poor lad was lost in translation and finally, he/she didn't do a TEFL certifed certificate or learn to speak the easiest language in the world, Thai. Not many people know this but I can speak fluent Thai, something i learnt the first year. It's know wonder the Thai teachers like me (:

I would like to know what my old teaching associates are upto so post here on CBR'S thread

Where Are You NoWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster
    Personally I find that kind of behavior in my Western peers disgusting. It rarely happens with the Thai teachers as far as I know.

....blah blah blah deleted....

In the case of the teacher at your school, there are various options. You could go to Labor, MoE, or Immigration. I've even heard of a blacklist some schools use. But I think you'd be better off letting a Thai Administrator handle all of that.
    Rarely happens with Thai teachers? Big responsiblity? You really do have your head up your ass, don't you? It does happen, foreign teachers usually never hear about it because they are too stuck in their own little world to know about the problems in a typical Thai schools, drugs, guns, and sex in the classroom....it's happening in your Mattayom classrooms right now. Teachers running off? Sure! Bad teachers? Sure. One teacher just got fired because she took 500 baht bribe from several students to fix their grades.

Why doesn't it happen more often? Most teachers are in debt to their school. The school loan them money and they pay it back over a long term and in a sense are indentured servants, they can't leave the school till they pay off the debt...because they live locally. If Thais weren't tied to a school/town like us farangs, they would run off a lot more often.

And do Let the Thai admin handle it. They won't be bothered by it, the only ones bothered by it are some of the posters on this forum...
    Are you actually reading this? Do you think I care?

vCash
    Thanks

No names please....

Stretchy...I heard that our friend is no longer in the country...anything to do with telling that M1 girl she was no better than a 50 baht whore and her father calling the cops?
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LDMA
    I heard that our friend is no longer in the country...anything to do with telling that M1 girl she was no better than a 50 baht whore and her father calling the cops?
    he's still here...

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster
    Personally I find that kind of behavior in my Western peers disgusting. It rarely happens with the Thai teachers as far as I know.

Being a teacher is a huge responsibility. Responsibility to students, parents, government, other teachers, admin, and oneself. It really doesn't matter what the school administration is doing, how bad the students are, what influence the parents have etc, there are really no excuses for walking off a teaching job - at least in a Prathom or Mathayom environment. I would say non-payment of wages or family emergency would be the only acceptable reasons for this behavior. Other than that teachers should give appropriate notice to allow the school to find a replacement. If not, go home and stop messing up this country more than it already is.

In the case of the teacher at your school, there are various options. You could go to Labor, MoE, or Immigration. I've even heard of a blacklist some schools use. But I think you'd be better off letting a Thai Administrator handle all of that.
    Some Thai teachers do it but they have to worry about getting another job. Thai schools are famous for not paying you (mine does pay though but people still do a runner) or they say "you work 10 days so we pay 10/31 of your salary" and cheat you that way!
    There are two types of men in the world. Intelligent men without religion and religious men without intelligence. The third type can't count.

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    You really do have your head up your ass, don't you?
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

CBR
    New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Jonah, I take it that you are the teacher in question. Your reasons for leaving are no excuse for stealing my material and leaving without notification. Was a phone call to me too much to ask.

If you still have my material can you mail it me at the school.

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MisterStretch
    Hear, hear.

There is a guy that has been working in the Hat Yai region for nearly 20 years. He's a drunk and an embarrassment. Most of us know him and wouldn't employ him for anything, but with turnover in the schools he can continue to get work because he is frequently talking to a new face that doesn't know who he is.

Recently, this same 'teacher' created problems in LDMA's school. It wasn't until he had to be fired that Louis and I traded notes and he lamented that he didn't know these things earlier.

Publish the prick's name. As AO said, these people make those of us who really do work hard look bad, just by association (as in we come from the same part of the world).
    Nice enough guy when he wasn't drinking, lived in an apartment building once(where I met Likewise) and that's where I met the him. He had no degree and wasn't anymore qualified than anyone with some experience teaching. Last I heard, he was teaching at a former school of mine(the one Likewise took over for me).

The problem isn't that teachers are acting like this. If you hire an unqualified teacher, what can you expect? If you're hiring someone just because they have a white face, what can you expect? It's a school problem, as long as schools continue to hire teachers without qualifications and without vetting their references, the blame lies nowhere else than at the feet of the schools who hired him. We can't name the schools this guy or any other teacher taught at on this thread so we sure as hell shouldn't be mentioning names of teachers.

Funny enough, one of my former students at that school came running up to me yesterday, she is now studying at the school I teach at this year. Not only do other foreign teachers remember things, but so do the students.

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

We aren't really in a position to judge whether there were extenuating circumstances or not.

Maybe the director phoned him the night before and offered him a pay decrease and a revised schedule he just couldn't live with. Happens frequently.

As others have said, this is absolutely and totally between the individual and the administration.
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

This is why teachers have to supply references and it's the employer's responsibility to check them. I'd wager that in their desperation to hire a new teacher, most employers don't bother. And if that new teacher does the hoffman after a couple of days and takes half the course materials with him, then I'm sorry but the employer only has himself to blame.
    If a teacher doesn't supply references, is not willing to supply references, or those references cannot be contacted - then there's no job for you until you can.

It's as easy as that. No references = a gamble. Every time.
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

Senior Member Array MisterStretch's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Yes, RS...it may be between the 'teacher' and the institution except for the purloined LPs and books, which others might need.

CBR, Jonah can't be your man. He left after four years, your guy left after a matter of days. You owe him an apology.
    Last edited by MisterStretch; 24th May 2007 at 11:02.

vCash
    Thanks

Jonah, I take it that you are the teacher in question
    i wrote a PM to a jonah a few weeks ago- as i read that he worked at st francis xavier in mung thong. he wrote back- a couple times, totally avoiding telling me any details about when he worked there. i simply asked him (paraphrase)- "hey dude i saw you worked at frannys- me too- when were you there?!?!".........reply: " " that was it.

in one year there, i saw so many freaks. for real. CBR- pm me his name, for shits and giggles, id love to see if i worked with this joker

HMS Kingfisher .... Array Jonah!'s Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Jonah, I take it that you are the teacher in question. Your reasons for leaving are no excuse for stealing my material and leaving without notification. Was a phone call to me too much to ask.

If you still have my material can you mail it me at the school.

I can only but laugh at you accusation CBR. I am and never have been interested in other peoples teaching material at places i have worked. Their spelling is poor hence my major piss take on this board at people who thought complaining about typo's was an illectual Bonus on their own behalf and my purposely incorrect puctuation and spelling on this board.

Let me give you some advice by asking you to stop blaming others and do some internet research on file storage on a network or home computer as i'm convinced after other complaints your material is the material stored in your files on your school computer. Sometimes things happen for a reason and the reason been your material wasn't anywhere as good as mine, meaning all my material is in safe hands after almost loosing it and yours up their with the rest of the garbage.

I wouldn't have wrote in this style had you not have blamed me after i was been polite, not suprising why the Korean girls are so fond of me and my new Korean male friends as we are all polite and store our files accordingly. The old saying in Thailand was the girls love a man who can do something special.

Good Luck (you'll get it back)

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Shit happens eh? If he does a flyer doesn't his work permit and non B get cancelled?

I'm not being funny here, but if the employment package was more than a hundred quid a week, teachers'd probably be less inclined to treat the job like a lump 'a shit...

CBR
    New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Sorry Jonah. A busy day at work and I misread your post.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast