--> International House - Bangkok
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two tier pricing for TEFL course.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Two tier pricing for TEFL course.

Quote Originally Posted by Simons
    So, in order for them to make a profit, lets presume that the course costs 12,000 baht per head to run. The westerners are therefore being charged a mark up of over 100%

I've always said that these courses are overpriced. They should cost barely more to attend that a Thai pays for a top language school, i.e. 130 baht per hour or so, or less than 20,000 for a 120 hour course.
    Some pretty large assumptions there!
    So basically you're saying that a month long course should be 20K per person..........
    I think you'll find out that the course the OP was talking about does infact average out at about 20K per person.
    Are there any courses in Thailand that are 20k ?
    Mine was more expensive than that 4 years ago here in Thailand.

Do you really think you can set up a language school, pay rent, pay a FARANG teacher's salary, receptionist, telephone, bit or marketing, books, banking, accountancy fees, work permits etc etc and still run the course at a modest profit (it is a business after all) for much less than 20k per person.
    Love to see your marketing plan !!
    Last edited by natalie8; 9th July 2007 at 11:01.
    "Good morning teacha, how are YOU toDay!"

Today i am suffering from tremendous bowel pain and have a ringing in my ears.

"Thank you teacha, we are fine TOO"

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MisterStretch
    Frankly, I'm offended by your remark.
    As most of us are by two-tier pricing.
    Game? This wasn't meant to be a game!!!...NEVER!!

vCash
    Thanks

Two tier pricing seems to reflect two tier salaries.
    Agreed?
    One is in response to the other.
    -----
    Here is a quote off the Ajarn front page, Filipino's section
    Nonthaburi projects under Ramkhamhaeng and Chulalunkorn respectively has to be commended for rating Filipinos at least 30,000 Baht (native 40,000 Baht).

So the Filipinos themselves are COMMENDING an institution for paying them ONLY 25% less than a Native speaker.............
    That is two-tier pricing. I personally would be offended by it - but that writer is actually happy !
    Full article is here http://ajarn.com/Filipino/home.htm
    Last edited by markg; 9th July 2007 at 10:50. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Senior Member Array MisterStretch's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

El Tel,

I'm offended by two-tier salaries, as well. Fix that one and then everyone can pay the same price for any course.

You, as a Farang, aren't paying more because they are paying less. The price of the course in question is the same as it was several years ago. The addition of an option for Filipinos hasn't raised the price you would pay if you were to take the course.

In fact, even for Farangs, it's one of the cheapest courses in the country because it's not run by a diploma mill. It's just a very small segment of their total operation.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markg
    Does anyone here work at a school where the Filipinos are on exactly the same pay scale as the native speakers? If you are - then i think you're in the minority.
    yes

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

i have asked the thai why national parks charge the thai 20 baht, and the foreigner 400. (this is true!) the reply has always been that the foreigners have more money. I don't have more money that say a thai doctor, or lawyer. why is it not charged based on how much money you do have, or can earn? does the "dustman" who collects plastic bottles have to pay the same as a thai doctor? here's a thought..... there is no different word in thai for a rat or a mouse, they are the same, gnu. thus the term farang. from one to another, they are all the same. so someone from mexico or argentina, is the same as someone from finland, a rat is a mouse, and a mouse is a rat. now why there is a difference between kangaroos and pandas, i don't know, both are marsupials, and both are certainly not bears.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fldanielle
    so someone from mexico or argentina, is the same as someone from finland, a rat is a mouse, and a mouse is a rat. now why there is a difference between kangaroos and pandas, i don't know, both are marsupials, and both are certainly not bears.
    uummmm ya....

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

a farang teacher earns 60K baht/month and Thai teacher at the same school earns 12K baht/month. Then the 60K teacher moans about racist attitudes and unfairness because the one time they visited a national park they paid 200 baht. Wankers!

vCash
    Thanks

The park pricing thing is off topic, but, I don't know any farang teachers that earn 60K a month. I do know that they receive neither pension, loan nor educational benefits that the Thai teachers do.

They don't have the same 'safety net' as they are living in another country that Thai teachers have because they are home.

They are unable to buy property in their name, own a home in their name but they are expected to pay taxes, pay into the social security system, pay to exit and enter the country while they work here and pay (in many cases) their own visa fees (which I understand are being raised again).

Wankers because they complain they are asked to pay more than a Thai to enter a park (I'm expected to pay 400 baht to enter an undeveloped area that has a small waterfall)? I don't think so. I think it's a justifiable complaint.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thais go to study in the UK they pay a lot more to study than a UK citizen. They don't receive a pension and have to pay hefty visa fees on entry to the country even though the hours they worked in the local Thai restaurant were taxed by the UK gov.

Thais aren't stupid. They don't want all those drunk, unreliable buffons who teach their kids staying permanently. Don't blame them.

If you want to swap 60 K for 12 K because it will enable you to get a cheap loan, go ahead. I think we have a privileged position here and should show a little more respect for their system.

vCash
    Thanks

When they respect their own system, perhaps I will respect their system.

We weren't talking about the price of a university education, were we? Did I miss something or are you just doing a chameleon thing and shifting topic?

Foreigners who go the States pay the same price in a restaurant, in a park, in a hotel that a local does. No tier pricing.

I'm neither a drunk nor a buffoon. I don't want a cheap loan, or any of the benefits I mentioned. I take care of my lady and our kids, which is more than I can say for her ex-husband who refuses to take care of his own children. I pay my taxes, I put up with incredible crap because I'm a foreigner...and I'm sure as shit glad you aren't my neighbor or boss.
    Last edited by MisterStretch; 9th July 2007 at 15:23.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loaded
    a farang teacher earns 60K baht/month and Thai teacher at the same school earns 12K baht/month. Then the 60K teacher moans about racist attitudes and unfairness because the one time they visited a national park they paid 200 baht. Wankers!
    You're the wanker!
    Don't you just love westerners who lap up Thai bullshit and then ask for seconds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loaded
    Thais aren't stupid. They don't want all those drunk, unreliable buffons who teach their kids staying permanently. Don't blame them.
    Which drunk, unreliable buffoons?
    The male Thai teachers?
    Both your posts contain generalizations of the worst kind.
    You're a fool!
    Try posting again when you've been here long enough to get past the honeymoon period.

Guest Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by El Tel
    your posts contain generalizations of the worst kind. You're a fool!

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by latm
    I don't think he meant to imply that they were. I got the impression he was referring to a BEd from the Philippines and no degree, or possibly a BA is basketweaving or something from a Western country. If so, the BEd from the Philippines is likely to have superior qualifications.
    A BEd from the Philippines is equivalent to 1st year university at many western univervisities. In fact Ireland for one, only counts a BEd from the Philipines as the same 1 year of university.

I don't know about you all but in my first two years of university, I took a lot of General Education classes, the same classes that the Ed Majors took.
    Are you actually reading this? Do you think I care?

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

a school in Chiang Mai invited me to visit them and meet their farang teachers to discuss any problems they may have with the school. The teachers haven't been following the school's curriculum, a arrive late and leave early for class and are usually late in the morning. Thai style the school wanted to help them. Of the 5 teachers I was supposed to meet 3 were sick. Been here a long time and advised the school wankers like that need to be removed from Thai education. I also know that the 3 missing teachers will complain about everthing in the school including their salary. Wankers. I feel ashamed.
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by El Tel

Try posting again when you've been here long enough to get past the honeymoon period.
    10 years in thailand.

and you?

too many foreign wankers in Thai education - no apologies. You may not be one, but who knows?
    Last edited by Loaded; 10th July 2007 at 13:12. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast