--> International House - Bangkok
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two tier pricing for TEFL course.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Two tier pricing for TEFL course.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    A BEd from the Philippines is equivalent to 1st year university at many western univervisities. In fact Ireland for one, only counts a BEd from the Philipines as the same 1 year of university.

I don't know about you all but in my first two years of university, I took a lot of General Education classes, the same classes that the Ed Majors took.
    So you agree Whitey. Flips are 'worth' a little less salary due to their inferior qualifications and also their accent?
    So if they earn less, why shouldnt they pay less for a course ?

Fact of the matter is, someone has to train these guys who are pouring in to replace Native speakers who are leaving in droves. So what price would you market your course at?
    I think it looks like pretty good forward thinking if you ask me!
    "Good morning teacha, how are YOU toDay!"

Today i am suffering from tremendous bowel pain and have a ringing in my ears.

"Thank you teacha, we are fine TOO"

vCash
    Thanks

Sounds like a racist response to a racist situation in a predominantly racist country.

Not that I really give two hoots, but that's how I see it....
    ...you get what you need.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fldanielle
    i have asked the thai why national parks charge the thai 20 baht
    Are they a tribe now??

I do hear that the Hopi give discounts to the mesas on Sundays!

Let's see if and when the Thai get around to something like THAT!

vCash
    Thanks

I'm not racist.
    I will state here that i deplore racism and inequality of any description.
    The system (not designed by me) pays people from none native speaking countries at a lower rate. Their earning potential is less. They can only afford to pay less for a product.

It happens all over the place. A house in Bkk isnt cheaper than one in Nakhon-sri-nowhere.
    Why? The earth they sit on is the same.
    Yet your earning potential in Bkk is more than in Nakhon - ergo houses can be priced higher.

Thanks for the kindness Array wintermute's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

It sounds like people are exceptionally bitter about filipinos as of late. Well, I have seen the future and it looks like a Thai-Filipino partnership filled with cheap Filipino teachers in language centers and government schools. It's a lot easier to hire 4 Filipinos for the price of 1 farang to do the bulk of the teaching. Then all you need to do is attach a token farang teacher to that group to make guest appearances. It makes perfect business sense and Filipinos are more likely to stay on longterm because they have few options.

Really guys, I only forsee it becoming more like this as time wears on.

vCash
    Thanks

I have been wondering this of late.
    It would seem to me that the mindset of the Filipinos is closer to Thais than we 'farangs'.
    They tend to toe the party line more, not speak out about silly ideas from their bosses, and will work as many hours as they are required to. For a third of the money!
    Their English is great -as judged by a Thai too.
    If schools are run as businesses, as many people on here say they are, then it's a great business plan.

However, certainly in our school, the board of Govenors have themselves been educated over seas, and can see the shortcomings in the Thai education system.
    For us to employ Filipinos just on reasons of price isnt going to happen. Unless of course they do a better job. In which case, they should indeed get the job.

Senior Member Array MisterStretch's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

The course provider saw the writing on the wall, as well and that's why they offered the course.

I think the sour grapes I hear are from the farang who may lose their jobs because a diligent Filipino may replace them at 2/3 the salary they get.

I have to admit, of the Filipinos that I've trained and worked with in the last year...I'd hire a higher percentage of them than of the farang teachers that I've met. They worked harder, caused less grief for their employers, were cleaner (didn't smell like last night's piss up or forget that deodorant is needed in a hot tropical country) and all-in-all they did some higher quality work.

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

It sounds like people are exceptionally bitter about filipinos as of late. Well, I have seen the future and it looks like a Thai-Filipino partnership filled with cheap Filipino teachers in language centers and government schools. It's a lot easier to hire 4 Filipinos for the price of 1 farang to do the bulk of the teaching. Then all you need to do is attach a token farang teacher to that group to make guest appearances. It makes perfect business sense and Filipinos are more likely to stay on longterm because they have few options.

Really guys, I only forsee it becoming more like this as time wears on.
    That sounds about right wintermute.

Most Thai schools are going to do just fine with Phillipinos. Many of them speak in a fashion which is often indicipherable (sp), but hey,they are more likely to tow the party line, put in long hours of volunteer work and are generally always prepared to kiss ass more quickly than a farang (ie. "cause less grief to their employer").

Hell, most Thais coming out of M6 have a hard time stringing a couple of sentences together in any case. Phillipino/farang, ain't going to make much difference in my opinion.

Thais that can afford it will still want to go with native speakers, that's probably a certainty.
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

Thanks for the kindness Array wintermute's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MisterStretch
    I have to admit, of the Filipinos that I've trained and worked with in the last year...I'd hire a higher percentage of them than of the farang teachers that I've met. They worked harder, caused less grief for their employers, were cleaner (didn't smell like last night's piss up or forget that deodorant is needed in a hot tropical country) and all-in-all they did some higher quality work.
    From my observations there seems to be a higher percentage of quality filipino teachers working. The reason why is that there are loads of them applying so it's not hard to weed out the bad crop from the TEFL industry. Since the pool of available farang teachers isn't very big to begin with it's much harder to get decent ones. So language centers/schools will often settle for the bottom of the barrel farangs just based on race novelty.
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson
    Hell, most Thais coming out of M6 have a hard time stringing a couple of sentences together in any case. Phillipino/farang, ain't going to make much difference in my opinion.
    The Filipinos working at my school don't have accents. In fact I mistook them for being asian-americans the first time I met them. You're basically right though, the Thai education system is so broken that it won't matter what language is being spoken in class because they don't hear any of it anyways.
    Thais that can afford it will still want to go with native speakers, that's probably a certainty.
    Thais that can afford it will be flying overseas.
    Last edited by wintermute; 10th July 2007 at 18:00. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

I didn't mean anyone here was racist necessarily - just the policy of the school with two-tiered pricing. just to avoid confusion...

vCash
    Thanks

To return to an earlier point, my understanding of the two-tier pricing system for parks is that residents of Thailand pay taxes which are used to maintain the parks, while tourists don't, hence the higher price charged tourists.

We, being residents and taxpayers should in theory be entitled to the lower price. In theory, if we can show proof of being residents and taxpayers, such as a WP or tax receipt, we can pay the lower price. In practice, it's at the whim of whoever is collecting the money that day.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute
    Since the pool of available farang teachers isn't very big to begin with it's much harder to get decent ones. So language centers/schools will often settle for the bottom of the barrel farangs just based on race novelty.
    i work in a language centre. we DO NOT settle for "bottom of the barrel" anything. i mainly teach adults who pay to learn. some real snobs on this site
    Last edited by LoveBucket; 11th July 2007 at 11:01.

Teak Door (dot) com Array kingwilly's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markg
    The price of 'anything' is only what the market will stand and pay for it.

Any item on the open market is exactly the same. It sells for the price the seller can get away with selling it at
    exactly

This isnt quite the same as charging more for 'Farangs' in a National Park.
    in wot way???

There is no empirical data to show that Farangs at the counter of a national park are richer than Thais in the same queue.
    really, well take a look at all teh benz' then butthead.

If this were true, then i would be driving the S-class Merc to work and the principal would be riding the 2 year old Honda Dream.
    BS comment
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterStretch
    I did then, and still believe that the training I gave those that took my course was most valuable, relevant and effective.
    mayb it was

Frankly, I'm offended by your remark.
    well ur an idiot then, u must know that many TEFL course providers are cowboys then, (did he say all?) or is ur head in the sand then too??
    Last edited by kingwilly; 10th July 2007 at 22:56. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoveBucket
    i work in a language centre. we DO NOT settle for "bottom of the barrel" anything. i mainly teach adults who pay to learn. some real snobs on this site
    You don't have to settle for bottom of the barrel cos your adults pay and want to learn. you can pay your teachers decent money and your students are motivated. what about a large amount of us who teach kids who've had 10 years of failure in English, who never see a ferrang outside of school and have existed in a cheating, smiling copying culture for their entire life. If I were a school here I would hire philliipnoes cos their cheaper and don't complain. The thai system is not designed to teach English, it is a complete failure teaching kids to fill in blanks and not think, to smile and not speak, to learn grammar before you can actually read. If this system virtualluy no one can genuinely make a real difference qualified or unqualified. in thi case why not employ philipinoes. You can't really call other people snobs if your adults are paying for private tutition and you yourself are teaching Thailand hierarchy.

vCash
    Thanks

Mine Sweeper Champion!

Filipinos have the same crap academic standards as Thais do (except those that studied overseas); the same flawed and antiquated teaching methodologies; AND they think they are native speaker standard when it comes to English when they clearly are not ( just look at their special page on ajarn.com to see lots of errors and bad usage of English).

The bottom line is

They'll accept less money and be more grateful
    They'll take all the crap in their stride as they are used to being disempowered and having no say, the ultimate "yes men (or women)"

Teaching English is not just about teaching English; it's about teaching thinking.
    Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast