International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two tier pricing for TEFL course.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Two tier pricing for TEFL course.

I noticed that one of the TEFL courses is offering a lower price to Filipinos for what appears to be the same course offered to native speakers.
    Anybody know why that is? BTW, it's not 'The Staffroom' sponsor.

From their ad:

The cost of the xxxxxxxx course is 25,000 baht including all tuition and course handouts.

The cost of The xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx TEFL Course for English Speaking Teachers from the Philippines is 16,000 baht (21,802 pesos).

Is this something that's been happening for a while and I just never noticed?
    Terry

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Two tier pricing for TEFL course.

I think that Stamford are the first and only provider to offer this Filipino option.
    I think it's done on the basis of Filipinos not having as much money as farangs (in theory) but I'm not 100% sure.
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

vCash
    Thanks

You mean the same reason Thais give for making farrang pay 10 times as much entry fee for getting into National Parks?
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

Senior Member Array MisterStretch's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I used to work there and the reason the pricing is different is based on earning potential, not on the money you have in your pocket. Most Filipinos will be making 1/3 - 2/3 less than most Western farang teachers, even though they might have superior qualifications.

The farang price wasn't raised to accommodate this (so I don't think it's analogous to the national park scenario). It was, while I was there, actually two seperate courses, held in two different locations. I don't know if they are combining participants now or not.

Guest Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MisterStretch
    the pricing is different is based on earning potential, not on the money you have in your pocket.
    interesting.

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Very professional as well.

Wonder what they charge students from Zimbabwe? Can payment be made in coconuts or rice?

TEFL course cowboys up to their familiar antics. Times must be tuff.
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

Senior Member Array MisterStretch's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Actually, while I was there we had Thais take it for exactly the same price as the Filipinos. The last two Thai graduates were hired within one week of finishing the course to be university instructors in their respective disciplines.

...I've never considered myself a 'cowboy' in any sense of the word either, Mr Simpson. I've 12 years in the business, a good portion of the last 7 as a trainer/evaluator and supervisor. I did then, and still believe that the training I gave those that took my course was most valuable, relevant and effective. Frankly, I'm offended by your remark.
    Last edited by MisterStretch; 8th July 2007 at 17:53.

vCash
    Thanks

The price of 'anything' is only what the market will stand and pay for it.
    A Filipino hasnt the earning potential that a white monkey has.
    Does anyone here work at a school where the Filipinos are on exactly the same pay scale as the native speakers? If you are - then i think you're in the minority.

A TEFL course costing 30k is about a months wages to a native speaker. This makes it palatable. A course costing 16k - again is about a months wages for a Flip. Same rules apply.

Any item on the open market is exactly the same. It sells for the price the seller can get away with selling it at

This isnt quite the same as charging more for 'Farangs' in a National Park.
    There is empirical data available to show Flips earn less. There is no empirical data to show that Farangs at the counter of a national park are richer than Thais in the same queue.
    If this were true, then i would be driving the S-class Merc to work and the principal would be riding the 2 year old Honda Dream.
    "Good morning teacha, how are YOU toDay!"

Today i am suffering from tremendous bowel pain and have a ringing in my ears.

"Thank you teacha, we are fine TOO"

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

...I've never considered myself a 'cowboy' in any sense of the word either, Mr Simpson. I've 12 years in the business, a good portion of the last 7 as a trainer/evaluator and supervisor. I did then, and still believe that the training I gave those that took my course was most valuable, relevant and effective. Frankly, I'm offended by your remark.
    I'm sure you did a great job Stretch. Sorry, no personal offense intended.

There are courses that probably don't emulate the decent standards you describe in your experience. Hadn't realized you worked in that particular program. Apologies.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

[QUOTE=MisterStretch]I used to work there and the reason the pricing is different is based on earning potential, not on the money you have in your pocket. Most Filipinos will be making 1/3 - 2/3 less than most Western farang teachers, even though they might have superior qualifications.
    QUOTE]

Qualifications are only comparable if they are obtained from the same country. I highly doubt a BEd from the Phillipines is comparable to one from a Western country. In saying that, I have mets a few BEd's from the Phillipines who are quite good. Seems like we don;t employ many of then with that qualification though.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Missle Command Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Loner
    Qualifications are only comparable if they are obtained from the same country. I highly doubt a BEd from the Phillipines is comparable to one from a Western country.
    I don't think he meant to imply that they were. I got the impression he was referring to a BEd from the Philippines and no degree, or possibly a BA is basketweaving or something from a Western country. If so, the BEd from the Philippines is likely to have superior qualifications.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by latm
    I don't think he meant to imply that they were. I got the impression he was referring to a BEd from the Philippines and no degree, or possibly a BA is basketweaving or something from a Western country. If so, the BEd from the Philippines is likely to have superior qualifications.
    Yes. And unfortunately, in my experience, a Filipino with a BEd will earn less in Thailand than a Westerner with any degree. It's a racist shame but that is how it seems to me.
    Am i wrong in this?
    Just last week i spoke to two Filipinas working as sales girls in a housing project near my house. Both with BEd's and loads of teaching experience. But they couldnt get jobs paying more than 12k a month.
    Seems unfair but that is how it is here. That's why, i guess, their TEFL courses are cheaper. They just cant afford to pay any more.

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

So why not let everyone pay less? Pay more because they can extract more.......sounds like a real nice TEFL course.
    Are you actually reading this? Do you think I care?

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLH
    The cost of the xxxxxxxx course is 25,000 baht including all tuition and course handouts.

The cost of The xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx TEFL Course for English Speaking Teachers from the Philippines is 16,000 baht (21,802 pesos).
    So, in order for them to make a profit, lets presume that the course costs 12,000 baht per head to run. The westerners are therefore being charged a mark up of over 100%

I've always said that these courses are overpriced. They should cost barely more to attend that a Thai pays for a top language school, i.e. 130 baht per hour or so, or less than 20,000 for a 120 hour course.

************Nonsense deleted*************
    Last edited by natalie8; 9th July 2007 at 09:50.

vCash
    Thanks

Mine Sweeper Champion!

"It's doable"

"It's definitely doable"

"It's doable all right"
    Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast