International House - Bangkok
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: To answer questions or issues on TEFL Watch site

vCash
    Thanks

Re: To answer questions or issues on TEFL Watch site

Quote Originally Posted by mrsquirrel
    He has hit the virtual z-list celebrity status for the TEFL community.
    I'd like to thank my agent, my producers, BKK Phil, Mrs Q and all the moderators who have made this wonderful accolade a virtual reality....thankyou thankyou and thankyou.
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

Manchesters Best Array mrsquirrel's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Also got to consider that z-list celebrities also get their own personal stalkers as well. yet unlike the a-list celebritires who are protected by their body guards and what not the z-lsters still live in their mums homes or in the Barrat starter homes and don't have the luxury of protection.
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by LDMA
    I'd like to thank my agent, my producers, BKK Phil, Mrs Q and all the moderators who have made this wonderful accolade a virtual reality....thankyou thankyou and thankyou.
    You understand which is a good thing.
    Last edited by mrsquirrel; 14th August 2007 at 10:27. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrsquirrel
    Also got to consider that z-list celebrities also get their own personal stalkers as well. yet unlike the a-list celebritires who are protected by their body guards and what not the z-lsters still live in their mums homes or in the Barrat starter homes and don't have the luxury of protection.
    Oh I had my personal stalkers long before I hit the Z-list Mrs Q. Are you still a moderator at TEFL Watch by the way?

vCash
    Thanks

Don't know.

I presume not. I haven't checked there in a long long time. It went from being fairly well moderated month one to a bunch of crack heads running it month 2. I am far to lazy to read peoples posts and think were they appropriate or not.

I have much respect for the moderators on here now

vCash
    Thanks

Yeah my moderator account on TEFL Watch got switched off in October while I was on holiday....presumably so that I wouldn't interfere with the new anti-ajarn regime...not that I ever really did much moderating there, and the one occaision that I did do some, I got overruled by the admin.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Yeah every forum needs an egomaniac and every forum's got one, except this one, it's got two z-listers. And I don't think it's a bad thing. A strong voice is harder to be bullied and a public face has a lot more staying power.

It's funny that BP is not wanting a TW vs Ajarn thread turn into a Ajarn admin vs ajarn users thread. In fact there's no place for an Anti Ajarn thread over here,. BP expressed his displeasure to Andy because Andy was allowing an Ajarn criticism thread over there, no problema.

I posted as Nemesis last night because I wanted to clear the air, patch things up if you will. LDMA seems to be having a little problem accepting that. I guess he's got an ego problem talking about his 1500 members. Wow, he got 1500 members. According to Alexa, we ain't doing too shabby. In fact, TEFLWatch is more popular than Ajarn in the Uk and the United States according to Alexa. Hey, but this ain't a pissing contest. Ajarn is a valuable resource.

I hear a lot of people saying TW is a valuable resource but they always say the moderation isn't tough enough. What means is that they wish people had less free speech. I don't think users are stupid or need to be nannied. They can read and shift through the BS and the truth to get to a pretty good idea of a situation. If someone is ragging out a school because someone stole their soap, you can pretty much ignore it. If on the other hand, several different people complain about salary and other work issues, you really need to dig deeper and check things out before signing on the dotted line.

TEFLWatch provides that opportunity. It throws up yellow or red flags so you can ask the right questions. You can choose to ignore them or you can choose to act on them, it's up to you. I frankly don't care. I only care about letting teachers have a voice that is not censored even though I think someone stealing your soap is a lousy reason.

We can go around and around, but I think there's a little jealousy on the part of Ajarn staff that think that TEFLWatch is trying to take over Ajarn or be some kind of competitor. No way! It ain't gonna happen. TEFLWatch is not Thailand centric. TEFLWatch is international in scope and never would/could be a competitor to Ajarn. There's plenty of room for us to coexist and compliment each other.

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Che
    It's funny that BP is not wanting a TW vs Ajarn thread turn into a Ajarn admin vs ajarn users thread. In fact there's no place for an Anti Ajarn thread over here,. BP expressed his displeasure to Andy because Andy was allowing an Ajarn criticism thread over there, no problema.
    I don't want a TSW / Ajarn thread turned into an ajarn forum rant. I'm quite willing to split the squirrel stuff and a few other bits and pieces into a seperate thread though - and then putting it - I don't know - in the virtual pub perhaps? I don't think there's anything 'funny' about that.
    -----
    We can go around and around, but I think there's a little jealousy on the part of Ajarn staff that think that TEFLWatch is trying to take over Ajarn or be some kind of competitor.
    I don't see it that way at all.
    Last edited by Bangkok Phil; 14th August 2007 at 11:26. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

So why don't we just bury the hatchet and try to get back to helping teachers. Is it that not your game plan anymore?

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Che,
    You seem to be getting a little aggressive with me and I'm not sure exactly what I've done to deserve it.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

In private messages, I've tried to patch this up and even tried to patch things up with a post on TEFLWatch. Either you can accept the olive branch and realize there's much work we can do together to help teachers or we can keep up this little game that benefits no one. I personally don't have time for little games. So I leave it as offer, take it or leave it. Bury the hatchet, no conditions like LDMA needing to be a TW mod(like before), needing to have links to each other, protecting advertisers, just a simple relationship that is not marked by greed or anger.
    -----
    Thanks, refuse, for the red. I'm not a troll. Just coming on this board to deal with some issues that Phil has directed towards me.
    Last edited by Uncle Che; 14th August 2007 at 11:36. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

Hmm..This site is incredibly helpful to teachers, IMO, Uncle Che.

Don't see what you're talking about at all, personally.

All this righteous activist stuff seems a bit, like Cypress

Hill said "insane in the membrane". Can't you turn it off?

Every once in a while? Accept that some people are kinda

just...chillin'? And making changes in other ways as they go along.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil
    I don't want a TSW / Ajarn thread turned into an ajarn forum rant. I'm quite willing to split the squirrel stuff and a few other bits and pieces into a seperate thread though - and then putting it - I don't know - in the virtual pub perhaps? I don't think there's anything 'funny' about that.
    The owner of this forum understands where I am coming from and obviously thinks that it fits in so why would you move it?

vCash
    Thanks

^ For continuity mate?

vCash
    Thanks

A strong voice is harder to be bullied and a public face has a lot more staying power.
    You're quite right and everyone knows who we are. The question is does everyone know who you are? You going public anytime soon "Che"?

I posted as Nemesis last night because I wanted to clear the air, patch things up if you will. LDMA seems to be having a little problem accepting that. I guess he's got an ego problem talking about his 1500 members. Wow, he got 1500 members. According to Alexa, we ain't doing too shabby. In fact, TEFLWatch is more popular than Ajarn in the Uk and the United States according to Alexa. Hey, but this ain't a pissing contest.
    I wasn't making it one...I was just telling my side of the story as to how TEFL Watch came to be. You're the one throwing out your Alexa ratings, and trying to play down the role of TSW, and how the grey list was all your idea...(...and I'm sorry I really can't be bothered playing games with these multiple nicks G.)

I hear a lot of people saying TW is a valuable resource but they always say the moderation isn't tough enough. What means is that they wish people had less free speech. I don't think users are stupid or need to be nannied. They can read and shift through the BS and the truth to get to a pretty good idea of a situation. If someone is ragging out a school because someone stole their soap, you can pretty much ignore it. If on the other hand, several different people complain about salary and other work issues, you really need to dig deeper and check things out before signing on the dotted line.
    I quite agree that people should be able to sift through the crap, however TEFL Watch DOES have rules, same as us, and you do moderate...in fact you lock threads as much if not more than us. You have your style we have ours. You have what you allow and we have what we allow.

We can go around and around, but I think there's a little jealousy on the part of Ajarn staff that think that TEFLWatch is trying to take over Ajarn or be some kind of competitor.
    Don't flatter yourself, we don't.

TEFLWatch is not Thailand centric. TEFLWatch is international in scope and never would/could be a competitor to Ajarn.
    Just indulge me one more stat. What percentage of your school reports are Thai schools compared with other countries?

There's plenty of room for us to coexist and compliment each other.
    Indeed that was the original conception, and the status quo for the first 10 months of your site's existence.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

LDMA, you have a small world, everything revolves around a forum with you. There are more visitors on the main page of the site using resources like rate this school than there are using the forum. It runs about 2 to 1 in terms of visitors.

Sorry you have me confused with someone else. We can keep going around and around because it appears as though your ego prevents you from burying any hatchet.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast