--> International House - Bangkok
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: To answer questions or issues on TEFL Watch site

vCash
    Thanks

Re: To answer questions or issues on TEFL Watch site

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Che
    In private messages, I've tried to patch this up and even tried to patch things up with a post on TEFLWatch. Either you can accept the olive branch and realize there's much work we can do together to help teachers or we can keep up this little game that benefits no one. I personally don't have time for little games. So I leave it as offer, take it or leave it. Bury the hatchet, no conditions like LDMA needing to be a TW mod(like before), needing to have links to each other, protecting advertisers, just a simple relationship that is not marked by greed or anger.
    Well, firstly there was no real condition of me being on the mods team...I was there to help you get established, which was also the point of linking to you as we viewed you as a valuable strategic partner...

....and unless it's not been made absolutely clear before, neither I nor Phil protect advertisers unless it comes under rules which apply to all entities, advertiser or otherwise, for example the name/shame business, which if I don't get this wrong, is the reason you exist.

...but hell, yeah I'll take the olive branch, and refer suitable cases to you if they appear on here, but perhaps tell your moderation team that we're not at war too?
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

vCash
    Thanks

but I think there's a little jealousy on the part of Ajarn staff that think that TEFLWatch is trying to take over Ajarn or be some kind of competitor. No way! It ain't gonna happen.

vCash
    Thanks

Sorry you have me confused with someone else.
    Oh, yeah! Must have!

Manchesters Best Array mrsquirrel's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Is the same thread being ran on TEFL watch or only here?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

not really being run on TEFLWatch. Maybe LDMA could figure out how to have the same thread run simultaneously on two different forums, but it's beyond my mysql skills.

I think the mods know we are not at war. LDMA, you might want to remind your own mods that we are not at war. For factual consideration, this whole esscapade was started by one of your former mods who did not like something posted on TEFLWatch. Someone who shared the same user name on both TW and Ajarn Forum posted something considered disparaging by Ajarn standards over on TW. This user was banned by Ajarn and had his personal information divulged by the wayward mod. I think it was a bit heavy handed to ban someone based on a post on another forum. In the end, that started the war. So reiterate, my mods know our forums aren't at war, but you need to let your mods know the same thing. it doesn't concern me or the admin in question anymore. Peace is more important than who was right and who was wrong nearly a year ago.

I and the other admin who left are back in the saddle again and hopefully we can a friendly exchange of opinions and ideas that benefit teachers. It's what everybody concerned wants.

back seat modding Array discus2000's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

ho-hum... should we get all facts out, or just the ones that suit you now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Bloody Hell! It can't be that difficult!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

I and the other admin who left are back in the saddle again and hopefully we can a friendly exchange of opinions and ideas that benefit teachers. It's what everybody concerned wants.
    I'd selamat that Che!

Guest Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I posted as Nemesis last night
    i don't think that's the nic i would use if i was genuinely putting out an olive branch.

vCash
    Thanks

Yeah, wasn't that a Kerux nick?

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Why don't you guys just sort things out with a knuckle. You know each other and it's obvious there's still ill feeling between you. you don't know, a good scrap may clear the air.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil
    The quote above was made by Louis not me Asper.
    Sorry. Dunno how that happened, I could've sworn I used the q-Quote button this morning.

Yanqui

Quote Originally Posted by LDMA
    Sorry, I don't mean everyone who reads or posts there...I'm sure there are plenty of concerned citizens, and a good many legitimate grievences but just lately the loonies seem to be ruling the roost.
    That's been the case for about a year now. A year in this business is a long time so I'm not optimistic that there ever will be any professionalism over there. The Mods in general are the worst instigators of an ever increasing unprofessional and arbitrary practice and pattern of behaviours.

tony

Ajarn.com is primarily a jobs board. That's what 95% of its visitors go there for. The site's got a selection of 500 TEFL positions on-line. That's what keeps people coming back. OK there are a few decent articles, interviews, etc. Big deal. But it's still the site I would want to read if I was thinking of coming to teach in Thailand.
    Do the job adverts provide most of the advertising revenue? That is very unlikely.

If I was thinking of coming to teach in Thailand, I'd look for various sites that contained impartial information. But as the guy who controls what information is seen on this site is being paid by people who will be looking to make money out of my time in Thailand, be it training course providers or employers, there is no impartiality, but a big fat conflict of interests.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tony
    I'd look for various sites that contained impartial information.
    And what would they be, Smegster?

If you were looking for a job, teaching in Thailand?

tony

Are you saying the result of not seeing this kind of ad in The Bangkok Post is the result of Bangkok Post Classified policy? You mean you've actually spoken to someone in a senior position at the Bangkok Post Classifieds dept and they can confirm this? Or perhaps ajarn.com is a cheaper alternative? The smallest classified ad was about 18,000 baht for five days (plus three days free) the last time I checked. And they seem to put up their prices every six months - which is about how often the sales girl calls you.
    As a Thai business, maybe the Bangkok Post will file a complaint about loss of business to an alien competitor.

http://www.boi.go.th/english/downloa...investment.pdf

FOREIGN BUSINESS ACT

“Alien” is defined as:
    •
    a limited partnership or ordinary registered partnership whose managing partner or

manager is a foreigner.

Businesses Subject to Restrictions
    Business activities that fall under Lists 1, 2, or 3 of the Act (see Appendix 1) are subject tothe limitations imposed by the Act.

Businesses that are covered by List 3 are prohibited to aliens unless permission is granted by the Director-General of the Commercial Registration Department (“CRD”).
    LIST 3
    Businesses in which Thai nationals are not yet ready to compete with foreigners:
    (16) Advertising business.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast