--> International House - Bangkok
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to find out if the school is good or not?

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: How to find out if the school is good or not?

Yep 100% woefully naive and probably the complete opposite has more bearing to reality (i.e. if the kids don't like you it probably means you make them learn something, or work etc. rather than edutain).

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
    I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille
    Sorry mate, but that's woefully naive.
    Can you give us an anonymous example?

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenkannif
    Only one true way to find out of YOU would think it's a good school....by working there.
    And by working there the school can find out if you're any good. (Please don't reply to this by posting your qualifications .. I'll get sick and throw up all over this keyboard.)

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

^ Yes for sure....works both ways (as per my recent paperwork post...kind of).

I got a GCSE in Buffy!!!

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiling
    Can you give us an anonymous example?
    I don't think it's possible to write a list about how to ascertain if a school is a good place to work or not.

You just gather the information you can and try to use your judgement.

Chief factors to consider for me are (in no particular order):

1) Salary
    2) Premises
    3) Qualification levels of existing staff
    4) Financial support and increments for staff to enhance their qualifications (the fewer blowhard 'graduates of the school of life' the better - as if being qualified is some kind of 'personality extractor' )
    5) Staff turnover
    6) Admin support

Alternatively, you could just ask an eight year old.

vCash
    Thanks

i got a masters in bating...

"so please show no pity as we come up from the ground, and please remember as you kill us and cut us down that time will not wash clean the bloody face of history, and someone will breathe here again and they will hate you for what you leave." m.g.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille
    the fewer blowhard 'graduates of the school of life' the better - as if being qualified is some kind of 'personality extractor'
    I have found that works both ways. I have met grads who are so far up themselves they can't breathe and TEFLers who think a Thai TEFL qualifies them to lecture at Harvard. A true academic understands the more you learn the more you realise you don't know...so there is nothing to get stuck up about.

vCash
    Thanks

Only one true way to find out of YOU would think it's a good school....by working there. Alternatively to get others opinions which may be true, or may not...check TW....or ask them for contact details of past and present teachers and get some feedback from them.
    This is very good advice. You never know what might be a horrible place to others can be a blessing for you. Sometimes those negative reports are ones from years ago with a change in management not true anymore.

Also great reports and schools with a good reputation can become "Hell" with a change of management or even with the hiring of other teachers that have personality clashes.

To check things out from a distance the best bet is to talk to various teachers already teaching at that school.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

complete guesswork as to how to find a good school but you have to look beyond the image crap. the true judge for me is the students and the learning environment. is the english classroom covered with displays and a good environment to learn. ask the students some questions. do they shy away and giggle or have they been taught that speaking Engish is cool. is behaviour in the school good? can the principal speak english? Is their a plan? Is their a vision? Loads of factors but if you chat to thestudents and they can't even answer simple questions then there's a fair chance that you're going to have problems.

vCash
    Thanks

While some schools are clearly crap and others are good, there is also a large subjective element to the whole "good school - bad school" thing. I can think of a number of teachers who have gotten off on the wrong foot with either Admin or the Thai teachers and who have been hounded out of their schools. They would obviously catagorize their schools as hellholes!

Other teachers at the same schools may have shown up on time, not had a sick day in their first couple of months and gotten along with the Thai teachers. Those teachers would have an entirely different attitude toward the same school!
    __________________________________________________ ________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    And I thought that it was just a car!

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty2
    While some schools are clearly crap and others are good, there is also a large subjective element to the whole "good school - bad school" thing. I can think of a number of teachers who have gotten off on the wrong foot with either Admin or the Thai teachers and who have been hounded out of their schools. They would obviously catagorize their schools as hellholes!

Other teachers at the same schools may have shown up on time, not had a sick day in their first couple of months and gotten along with the Thai teachers. Those teachers would have an entirely different attitude toward the same school!
    Fair point Q. I would say though generally good schools see through bad candidates in the interviewing progress. Of course some charm there way through the door. Good schools are organised and put kids at the centre of education. They look after their teaches and produce real academi results. ad schools profiteer, don't monitor standards and invest large amounts of dosh on covering up their poor performance. Doesn't happen so much in the west because you're inspected regularly. Here it does because officials can be bought.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion
    Doesn't happen so much in the west because you're inspected regularly. Here it does because officials can be bought.
    Help...there are pink pigs landing on my roof

Mate if the western schools were inspected properly it would show up all the shams in the system. The difference between here and the west is you don't have to bribe anybody...because the authorities don't actually want to know.

Before anybody slags me I have an article written by a British academic explaining in detail how they do it.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Well
    and try to speak with teachers currently working there. and try to work out whether you trust their opinions or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Well
    and are they sane or hatstand...

And have they worked anywhere else to compare it to etc.
    ...and are they actually teachers at all or have you been talking to the pot plants all this time.
    Or would you like to swing on a star?

vCash
    Thanks

Tell the recruiters you would like to talk to some existing staff - its not an unreasonable request and a good school should actually offer the opportunity anyway.

Then take some out and buy them a couple of beers or some noodles for lunch and pick their brains. They'll understand that is what you are doing, but will still open up nonetheless. People love to bitch. Also gives you an opportunity to see who you'll be working with.

Money well spent...
    Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12