International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In answer to TEFL Watch part 2

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

In answer to TEFL Watch part 2

The TEFL Watch forum has started to ‘have a pop’ at me for deleting a thread on Siam University. I thought that we’d put the inter-forum squabbles to bed but it would seem not.

Before I address the ‘Siam University’ thread itself, let me deal with the questions directly.

Blue farang wrote
    t69allen-- pleased to see that you are here. please take a few minutes to write your concerns/experience with siam university. the other place (ajarn) is part of the problem in some ways and not really willing to part of the solution.
    I think Blue Farang means that we have a no name and shame policy on ajarn.com. Yes – that’s true. I think you can do a search for the last ‘ajarn forum vs TEFL watch’ thread and find out all the background information on the reasons why.

I moved the Siam University thread to the icebox at about 8.30am. Since then another moderator has deleted it completely. The Siam University thread was started by t69allen and the original post was

“Teachers considering a job at this private university might want to email me for comments before taking a position there”
    To be honest I’m amazed the thread lasted as long as it did. T69allen had a few comments to make but most of the thread was about the true length and definition of Petchkasem Road.

Mods-Rockers wrote
    well pruned and locked by your man BP
    I didn’t delete a single post from that thread MR. I moved it to the icebox lock stock and barrel. How do you know I pruned it let alone pruned it well?

I'll tell you about Siam University because I have two very good friends who worked there. One is Peter and the other is Jim (sadly no longer with us)
    Ask Peter about this place and he'll tell you it's the most disorganized joke of a university you could ever work for. I know he had major problems getting his pay but I'm pretty sure he got it in the end.

Ask Jim what the place was like to work for (as I did several times when he was alive and we used to do the Bull's Head quizzes together) and he would say "It's OK. I keep my head down. I don't really mix or talk to anyone there and at the end of every month I take my money and say thank you very much"
    That's the kind of guy Jim was.

Put Pete's story on the front page and it'll sell newspapers. Put Jim's story on the front page and it won't. Isn't that the underlying problem with all this?
    Last edited by Bangkok Phil; 26th August 2007 at 19:22.
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: In answer to TEFL Watch part 2

I think most people are pretty clear on how TEFL watch and this site differ.

It's a shame TEFL watch keeps carping on about this, but I guess it's all part of their missionary zeal.

I wouldn't sweat it, phil.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille
    I think most people are pretty clear on how TEFL watch and this site differ.
    Vive le difference.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

what are the boundaries of this "discussion"?

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille
    I wouldn't sweat it, phil.
    No Im not Cyrille. But we all made an agreement didn't we?

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil

Quote:

Blue farang wrote
    t69allen-- pleased to see that you are here. please take a few minutes to write your concerns/experience with siam university. the other place (ajarn) is part of the problem in some ways and not really willing to part of the solution.
    if stated more gently the ink would have slid off the page
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil
    No Im not Cyrille. But we all made an agreement didn't we?

who is "we"?

phil, i think your reaction is escalating a nothing situation into a next to nothing situation. this is no big deal.

when you destroy the dialogue on this channel it finds a place to continue on another channel. it is the nature of the market place. why draw attention to it and then wail about the extra attention?
    Last edited by bluefalang; 26th August 2007 at 19:51.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluefalang
    who is "we"?
    phil, i think your reaction is escalating a nothing situation into a next to nothing situation. this is no big deal.
    1) 'We' is the owners / moderators / management of the respective forums.
    2) That could well be the case. Maybe I should just stay quiet.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluefalang
    when you destroy the dialogue on this channel it finds a place to continue on another channel.
    I think we need to consider the appeal of Ajarn as a contact site for jobs. There has to be a tradeoff in that Ajarn doesn't discourage schools/unis from advertising here for fear of being named and shamed.

For old hands who want to warn all and sundry about a school...and good on you..you need to think about the downside of using Ajarn to do it. So if another site wants to do it...so be it.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

this thread is doomed. you want to talk, phil, but lock, ice or delete discussions that dont go your way. this is your perogative but it has consequences. others come into to fill the gap. so let'em. or open things uo here which doesnt seem to be the flow of the play. soon i will be banned and blamed for this fiasco. the whole thing seems silly. but whatever. i aint drivin.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

The university advertises on this site and misleads prospective teachers to attract them to the school. Ajarn would print a positive article about the university on Petchaesam Road but wouldn't print a negative one. You have a conflict of interest and might consider how to deal with it.
    The ICEBOX is closed to anyone who hasn't made at least 50 posts. New teachers have no way of hearing one side of the story.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

showing up at the fire before the fire trucks, t69allen. (smilie)

vCash
    Thanks

^^ im so suspicious of posters who know just when to post stuff here. like they come out of the closet at the right time to search the forum.

there are some folks here who have so many multiple nicks. they troll the internet stirring the place to their liking.

youve made 11 posts 69allen, what coincidence you came on today when BP made his thread. wow! whadda crazy world!

lots of hidden motives, too many to count.

God, I love mangoes! Array AjarnYaiMak's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I am confused.
    Nice thread on the university. Then it sorta goes to Teflwatch. Ok... then it is discussed there. Then thread is moved by BP to Ice Box. A mod deletes it. Topic dead.

Then BP resurrects it by posting about postings on Teflwatch. Sorta like a dog chasing its tail.

If topics are deleted due to political incorrectness, for god sake, BP, don't open another thread discussing the same bullshti.

Sorta like dejavu all over again.

vCash
    Thanks

Phil,

If I may ask, what would you have expected the moderators of Telfwatch to do? I read the thread and just ignored the comments made against Ajarn. After all...when given a soapbox to stand on, all some people want to do is whine. Is Ajarn actively deleting/editing posts made by people commenting about TeflWatch? Is there some sort of agreement somewhere?

Lastly, some of these current comments were posted by a person/people/non-profit organizations and NGO's that beat their breast about the evil Ajarn.com but didn't have the
    bal....intestinal fortitude to post anything directly to you on the previous thread on this topic. If it was me, I would ignore the peanut gallery and keep the focus on the problem...the school in question.

But what do I know?
    -----
    Dang, just looked at the thread on Teflwatch....maybe, just maybe, someone owes someone a bit of an apology.
    Last edited by Topper; 26th August 2007 at 21:26. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

From what I understand, a mod came on and deleted the comments about Ajarn over on TEFLWatch. It seems to me thatBP is the one who doesn't want to let things die down. Starting a thread of here about something the mods over there have already binned is kind of counter productive because it puts the mods over there in a bit of bind, they'll need to ressurect those comments because now a lot of people want to know what was said, including me.
    Are you actually reading this? Do you think I care?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast