--> International House - Bangkok
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: My fairwell to TEFL

vCash
    Thanks

Re: My fairwell to TEFL

I would enjoy hearing more comments about Bruce, TI or the combination! TI and Bruce has been a institution here now for at least 10 years and deserves the respect from all of us that he's earned over that time....Does anyone have tales to tell from the early years of TI? That would be nice to hear.

Elysian Fields Traveller Array pucky's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

^ U Don't Care So Why Should Anyone.
    "It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -George Carlin

Senior Member Array kidneystone's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Desertexile
    And how much do you think the CEO of Oxfam or Cancer Research makes? SOmthing closer to home - where does all the AUA money go?
    Oxfam and Cancer research are somewht red herrings here. try looking at the tax exemption rules that cover a charitable organization such as TEFL Int! Anyway its not my business, thats between Bruce and the IRS!

Maybe thats the messy number 3 in the OP!
    Last edited by kidneystone; 14th September 2007 at 18:15.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thnx for all the concern over my salary, guys! Non profits can only pay their CEO's reasonable salaries, depending upon the size of the company. My salary for the last few years was 70k per year. However, I only drew max 30k--we were in high growth mode and we needed every penny. So now I have my own little 401k for the next several years.

ANd as for the personal business I have to attend to, most of you should know what that is already.

Let me tell you a little story from my days as a Mormon Missionary in Hong Kong (yes I was a bike riding, white-shirt-wearing missionary back in the day). This just might make sense to some of you.

I was a missionary in some pretty rough neighborhoods in HK. In one area, an area the police told us they refused to enter, a gang of "feijaai", street punks (about 16 to 18 years old) would sometimes follow us around and hassle us. Call us names, trhow things at us. Nothing too serious but annoying.

We would usually just give them crap back. No swearing, of course, but our chinese was good enough that we could give as well as we could take. But on a very few occasions they crossed the line and one of us missionaries would take their little black name tag off and put it in our pocket. They had crossed the line and we were no longer missionaries, just two angry Americans that could pretty easily take the lot of them.

When we did that, the pack would scatter because they know they had pissed us off and they did not want to stick around and see what the consequences were. There was never an actual altercation. But that symbolic "removing of the tag" showed we were no longer playing. The time for talk was over and the time for action had begun.
    Last edited by Bruce; 14th September 2007 at 19:23.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    My salary for the last few years was 70k per year. However, I only drew max 30k--we were in high growth mode and we needed every penny. So now I have my own little 401k for the next several years.
    Is that in dollars or pounds? You were working for 6,000 baht a month? K is thousand is it not?
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

So Bruce has taken his TEFL Int tag off and is about to kick some ass.

That post looks like a warning to whoever has crossed his path.

Restoring old cars? I just watched Death Proof.

Senior Member Array champagne charlie's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Best wishes, Bruce. I found the course to be one of the highlights of my stay in Thailand. Lots of good memories. Congratulations on your new direction.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trep
    So Bruce has taken his TEFL Int tag off and is about to kick some ass.

That post looks like a warning to whoever has crossed his path.

Restoring old cars? I just watched Death Proof.
    Huh?? Good luck Bruce!
    I did my TI at Gateway Languague Village in Zhuhai in 2004, and had a ball, even though it was one of the hardest courses to do in 4 weeks!!
    Good luck Bruce, and I am a car fanatic, and ex-motor racing driver, so if I can be of help with your new venture, please let me know!
    Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like buggery! (Peter Brock 05)

vCash
    Thanks

Death Proof didn't end very well.

I sort of understood his first post, but the latest one, about some Chinese punks, left me puzzled.

I hope there's nothing more to this story than Bruce retiring from TEFL business and doing something he likes.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

i think a shoot out is coming. perhaps around noon.

vCash
    Thanks

Thnx for all the concern over my salary, guys! Non profits can only pay their CEO's reasonable salaries, depending upon the size of the company. My salary for the last few years was 70k per year. However, I only drew max 30k--we were in high growth mode and we needed every penny. So now I have my own little 401k for the next several years.

ANd as for the personal business I have to attend to, most of you should know what that is already.

Let me tell you a little story from my days as a Mormon Missionary in Hong Kong (yes I was a bike riding, white-shirt-wearing missionary back in the day). This just might make sense to some of you.

I was a missionary in some pretty rough neighborhoods in HK. In one area, an area the police told us they refused to enter, a gang of "feijaai", street punks (about 16 to 18 years old) would sometimes follow us around and hassle us. Call us names, trhow things at us. Nothing too serious but annoying.

We would usually just give them crap back. No swearing, of course, but our chinese was good enough that we could give as well as we could take. But on a very few occasions they crossed the line and one of us missionaries would take their little black name tag off and put it in our pocket. They had crossed the line and we were no longer missionaries, just two angry Americans that could pretty easily take the lot of them.

When we did that, the pack would scatter because they know they had pissed us off and they did not want to stick around and see what the consequences were. There was never an actual altercation. But that symbolic "removing of the tag" showed we were no longer playing. The time for talk was over and the time for action had begun.
    This was just a dirty little village in the middle of nowhere. Nothing that happened there was really important.

vCash
    Thanks

Sorry no, I missed 'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous' last week.

Anyways, I can see how moving from TEFLINT to selling used cars will have some synergy benefits.
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one
    Is that in dollars or pounds? You were working for 6,000 baht a month? K is thousand is it not?
    Yeah, that threw me too.
    Last edited by Cyrille; 14th September 2007 at 23:33. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Established User Array republic's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by champagne charlie
    Best wishes, Bruce. I found the course to be one of the highlights of my stay in Thailand. Lots of good memories. Congratulations on your new direction.

Oh, all this back rubbing makes me sick.
    Have a word with yourself.
    Drug Drug.
    Everything means something.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by republic
    back rubbing
    how dare you criticise another poster for perceived sexual back rubbing!! mustn't have that on our nice board

vCash
    Thanks

Well I for one am glad I trained in back rubbing with 'Rub Int'. Those people really know what they are doing.

As an added benefit I got to give back rubs for seven months in Nakhon Nowhere - at no extra cost, and I paid for my mat in easy installments.