--> International House - Bangkok
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: My fairwell to TEFL

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: My fairwell to TEFL

Yes, CELTA is (kinda) run by Cabridge University--the same part of it that gives English exams to 5-year olds for a pretty hefty fee. Now I attended three institutions of higher education in my day. Two in getting my undergrad degree and one when I got my MBA (a humourous topic of debate amongst the idiots on another board) and never in my time did I see the 5-year-old department. Things are different in uk?

I am just poking fun. Nothing wrong with the CELTA they are just using the marketing advantage they have--a connection to a big UK university.
    Last edited by Bruce; 17th September 2007 at 11:30.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    Yes, CELTA is (kinda) run by Cabridge University--the same part of it that gives English exams to 5-year olds for a pretty hefty fee. Now I attended three institutions of higher education in my day. Two in getting my undergrad degree and one when I got my MBA (a humourous topic of debate amongst the idiots on another board) and never in my time did I see the 5-year-old department. Things are different in uk?

I am just poking fun. Nothing wrong with the CELTA they are just using the marketing advantage they have--a connection to a big UK university.
    If you're referring to the young learners cert., it's hardly an 'exam'. It's a speaking test which gives kids an incentive, and a sense of achievement.

Particularly useful in an International School environment - when non native speakers can feel a bit daunted.

I've administered the test in that environment and it worked really well to achieve the above.

You talk a lot of sense about your own area of expertise Bruce, but you do tend to show your ignorance when you roam from that domain.

It's fair comment that Cambridge University does very well financially out of all this training and testing. That often tends to be the case when an organisation gets in first and has, deservedly or otherwise, a better reputation than the rest.

Good luck with the used cars.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Cyrille]

It's fair comment that Cambridge University does very well financially out of all this training and testing. That often tends to be the case when an organisation gets in first and has, deservedly or otherwise, a better reputation than the rest.

QUOTE]

They have a government monopoly. UCLES, IDP and British Council is a business syndicate.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loaded
    They have a government monopoly.
    Not true. You or I could go 'compete' against them tomorrow. It'd just be a very uphill struggle.

They just saw a need many, many years ago and were the first to fill it.

Not unlike Bruce.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille
    If you're referring to the young learners cert., it's hardly an 'exam'. It's a speaking test which gives kids an incentive, and a sense of achievement.
    I am talking about the "Starters", "Movers" and "Flyers" exams with nicely packaged books from CUP and classes available at language schools, including the British Council worldwide. if you prefer the term "test" to "exam", no problem. I see nothing at all disparraging in either term.

Particularly useful in an International School environment - when non native speakers can feel a bit daunted.

I've administered the test in that environment and it worked really well to achieve the above.
    Great! I do not believe at any time have I ever disparraged the courses or the exams. I just pointed out that the CELTA is not actually part of Cambridge University proper. it is part of the same organization that gives exams to 5-year-olds, not the part that hands hout degrees, MA's and phD's.

You talk a lot of sense about your own area of expertise Bruce, but you do tend to show your ignorance when you roam from that domain.
    Could be. If there is anything inaccurate I am glad to admit it!

Nothing to be ashamed of.

vCash
    Thanks

the same part of it that gives English exams to 5-year olds for a pretty hefty fee.
    I'm trained in KET and PET tests. I've not seen the price Cambridge charges but have seen what my former school was charging. It's not cheap.

and also makes some of them pee their pants.

Senior Member Array champagne charlie's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Actually, the minimum age to take the Starters exam is 7 years old, is it not?

But such an English exam for 5 year olds would be very lucrative. Ridiculously, where I work 4 and 5 year olds are required to sit exams twice a year as part of the Anuban curriculum. Thai parents really sweat this stuff, and pay a lot of money for private lessons to prepare the kids for these meaningless exams.

vCash
    Thanks

Could be. If there is anything inaccurate I am glad to admit it!
    1)It's a speaking test, not an exam. I think the difference is clear to most native speakers. Also, there are no failing grades. (Something I'm sure you, as founder of TEFLINT, will admire. )

2) It's not taken by five year olds. It's for young learners aged 7-12

3) It's called CYLETS - The Cambridge Young Learners English Tests

Quote Originally Posted by crew
    I'm trained in KET and PET tests. I've not seen the price Cambridge charges but have seen what my former school was charging. It's not cheap.
    We do a shedload of IELTS testing here. We teachers invigilate the exams, mark the papers,do the interviews, teachers train each other for recertification etc. All the students registrations are handled by our admin.

All Cambridge has to do is set the questions, distribute the papers and collect oodles of cash.

Very lucrative with very low outlay, no doubt about it.
    Last edited by Cyrille; 17th September 2007 at 14:14. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

1)It's a speaking test, not an exam. I think the difference is clear to most native speakers. Also, there are no failing grades. (Something I'm sure you, as founder of TEFLINT, will admire. )
    I like how Cabridge has set the bar in terms of: Was the student able to communicate the point? After all, that's really the point of communication innit? The kiddies seem to enjoy the format too.

I liked that last bit there Cyrille. But to be fair, the Phuket branch has failed four students over their last two courses. The trainees weren't up to task, so they didn't get the certificate. I think that's fair.

BTW, your new av makes me want to pee my pants. Very scary C.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crew
    I like how Cabridge has set the bar in terms of: Was the student able to communicate the point? After all, that's really the point of communication innit? The kiddies seem to enjoy the format too.
    I liked that last bit there Cyrille. But to be fair, the Phuket branch has failed four students over their last two courses. The trainees weren't up to task, so they didn't get the certificate. I think that's fair.
    I think they do enjoy it, yes. And they get a shiny, albeit meaningless, piece of paper at the end.

The Young Learners, that is.

You seem very au fait with goings on at TEFLINT.

Sorry you don't like the new av. I use the 'no avs' setting myself.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I don't know where this rumor comes from that TI does not fail students. Our failure/drop out rates are similar to a CELTA course at about 7 percent. We do allow them to retake the course free of charge.
    Last edited by Bruce; 17th September 2007 at 15:20.

back seat modding Array discus2000's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

and on that bomb-shell...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Bloody Hell! It can't be that difficult!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789