International House - Bangkok
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Nazi Show In Thai School - WTF

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Wtf

I agree with KK. Whilst I do think it is a bit unsavory, it is not really different than any other war / army celebrations. Go to any major city in the world and there will be statues of generals and war memorials. On a recent visit to London with wife in tow I decided to show her the sights. It amazing how many statues there are in London. After a while I got a bit embarrassed about how much London glorifies it past wars. A major difference with the Nazi thing here is that 1) WW2 is recent and 2) It's close to home for most of us.

But objectively is it really any different from the cowboys, etc?????
    Ridicule is the burden of genius.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J
    After a while I got a bit embarrassed about how much London glorifies it past wars.
    Surely you are not equating the commemoration of Britain's war dead with hordes of thai students marching around in nazi regalia??

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Marching around with toys gun, dressing up like soliders and carrying a replica of the German Iron Cross tells me that this is nothing to do with anything but Nazis.

The students were glorifying an era and a group that is particularly heinous. But I can understand what all of you are saying, I dont see the problem with them dressing up like little Nazis. I see a problem in their hypocrisy. It's ok to deface the symbols of other religions and countries, it's ok for them act totally ignorant towards the feelings of millions of people, but when someone else does it to them, they go shit faced crazy in anger.

Anyone remember the pub in Pennsylvania when Thaksin and others threatened to pull their ambassador over the picture of the King published in newspaper ad?

Anyone remember the Swiss guy imprisoned?

Anyone remember the YouTube ban? (How often did we hear through that, people need to respect Thai people's feeling?)

Anyone remember what happened to Grassie for doing the same as other Thais?

It seems only Thai people can have a good time making fun of other people, cultures and atrocities.

That's because they are superior.
    Are you actually reading this? Do you think I care?

vCash
    Thanks

^ That's what gets me! Thailand is riddled with hypocrisy on things like this.

What a bunch of boneheaded teachers encourage their boneheaded students to do is really neither here nor there.
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    Anyone remember what happened to Grassie for doing the same as other Thais?
    ^ Although that is a total red herring!
    Last edited by Cyrille; 27th September 2007 at 18:18. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

All I was trying to point out is that in London there are so many war statues and memorials. Walking around London was a bit like, ' This is for kicking French arse, this is for kicking German arse, this is for kicking French arse, etc, etc.' There isn't any balance between war statues and art statues.

vCash
    Thanks

All I was trying to point out is that in London there are so many war statues and memorials. Walking around London was a bit like, ' This is for kicking French arse, this is for kicking German arse, this is for kicking French arse, etc, etc.' There isn't any balance between war statues and art statues.
    They are there to commemorate the sacrifice of people who gave their lives so that you can live in freedom

Not for kicking anyone's arse.

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Yeah, the Victory Monument in Bangkok is a good example. It celebrates Thai victory over France.....while France was occupied by Germany..it celebrates the land they took.

vCash
    Thanks

^ All a bit of a tangent from the rights and wrongs of spending a day frogmarching around wearing nazi insignia.

Don't you think?

vCash
    Thanks

But we HAVE kicked a lot of arse.

Here's to the UK and it's glorious arse-kicking past (nb, not ass-kicking!)
    When the great lord passes the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiling
    I have met the occasional German exchange student, nice kids, they have an idea something went on way back then but it sounds like it was missing from their history curriculum so their understanding of things is well cleansed.
    Unless things have changed very recently, this is absolutely NOT true. German secondary school kids learn about the holocaust not once, but TWICE; and according to my German friends, it is a no-holds barred, look-what-we-Germans-were-responsible-for account. German TV also frequently shows documentaries and dramas depicting the horrors of the Nazi era. Those Thai kids would have committed a fairly serious criminal offence in Germany. There is none of the Japanese-style whitewashing and selective memory disorder in the German education system. Of course, this has led to something of an understandable backlash among German youth, who sometimes express their weariness with the fact that they continually have their father's sins rammed down their throats. This is probably the reason why your exchange students were rather reticent about it.

vCash
    Thanks

First off, get over the excitement of sharing which way swastikas go. We've heard it god knows how many times: "It is an ancient Biddhist symbol bla bla bla."

Have you seen the pictures in that link? Especially this one:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...3Dec060174.jpg

Second, Nazis weren't just a bunch of guys who turned their swastikas the other way and so shit happened. The world has never seen such an inhuman behaviour on that scale, anorderd they knew exactly what they were doing - killing as many people as possible in the most efficient ways. No remorse, no looking back.

Third, Thais involved in that show simply displayed their sheer ignorance of the world beyond their borders. It's not a sin to be stupid, but their case is terminal, they are beyond salvation.

Fourth, is it dangerous to glorify mass murderers? Will some of that disregard for human life rob on them? Very possibly so, if they take any further interest. It's not like they hold life in high regard already.

Expect more monks preaching that murdering people in cold blood is ok if done for a good cause, expect more national singers crooning about how good it is to kill a few thousands to "improve" the nation.

I, personally, hope that I won't see a new round of lynching, beheadings, and burning people alive at Sanam Luang, but if those "Nazi" Thais get involved, I wouldn't put it past them.

Fifth, I'm not going to get all worked up over some imbeciles marching up and down as Nazis, but the line has to be drawn somewhere - it is NOT OK, there's no "neutral" side here.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpole
    This is probably the reason why your exchange students were rather reticent about it.
    Point taken...but the holocaust was but one tragedy of WWII...I do not know what they were taught at school...but if it was based around the Holocaust that would be unbalanced. One girl was able to discuss the movie about the last days in Hitlers bunker with me in quite matter of fact fashion...and she is a Berliner.

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Back to the issue of Thais being hyporcritical.
    Editor, you as well, you allowed this kind of issues printed in your paper. Are you insane or you have never ever recognized othere as a human being like you are?. Do you care with other peiple' right?? Or you can do what you want to do because you think you are American. I have never feel that bad about American before, but today it is. You did too much, break our heart!!! Please open your eyes to know other countries, don't covered yourself under coconut shell and think you are the biggest!!
    The 11th September will happen again.American the bad dog.
    http://www.citypaper.net/articles/20...mailbag4.shtml

Just because the newspaper wouldn't pull an offensive ad......

out of control Array bewildered wanderer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lor Ling
    Facing the way it did when the nazis used it, it meant strength. Facing the other way it meant love / compassion. The idea was that the two should go together.
    it means, let their be prosparity in all four directions
    "Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand."
    - Woody Allen

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bewildered wanderer
    it means, let their be prosparity in all four directions
    Not heard that but then it's a symbol that's been used in a few different cultures.

AFor example, the native Americans apparently had a symbol that was pretty much identical to the swastika
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille
    They are there to commemorate the sacrifice of people who gave their lives so that you can live in freedom Not for kicking anyone's arse.
    Hear hear!

BTW, who's that dude in yer AV? The old nazis woulda prolly gassed him quick smart.

The nasty feckers!
    -----
    Last edited by zehner; 28th September 2007 at 08:33.