--> International House - Bangkok
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low end teaching job needed for summer job in BKK

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

Re: Low end teaching job needed for summer job in BKK

I'll refer you to a few schools in LOS, you can even use my name....not!

Cunning Linguist Array Sanuk Canuk's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Saberu as Mat said if you do the TEFL you will be as qualified or more qualified than the many folks who grind out the summer camps and the weekend/late night language school jobs. Most of these places are so desperate I am sure they would take you on even if your stay will be breif. As far as the morals of it go, these places for the most part are just an added practice opportunity for the kids above and beyond their normal learning so even if you are only so-so the kids still should get a bit of speaking practice out of it. Do try do the TEFL though because it won't make you a superstar but it will get you started on the right foot.

Not sure if you ar frankaphone/bilingual or not coming from Montreal but if so please avoid teaching them "dis, dat an dee udder ting"! They already know how to murder pronunciation.
    [Laying Plans] "It is a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin. Hence it is a subject of inquiry which can on no account be neglected." Sun Tsu

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

...and try not to abandon your students in mid-lesson never to be seen or heard from again...

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanuk Canuk
    Most of these places are so desperate I am sure they would take you on even if your stay will be breif.
    Not sure if you ar frankaphone/bilingual or not coming from Montreal but if so please avoid teaching them "dis, dat an dee udder ting"! They already know how to murder pronunciation.
    It's good to hear that they are desperate, should make things easier!

As for my own standard of English, I speak very elloquently and don't have a local accent so think I would make an excellent teacher. I plan to teach English for a career in China after I graduate so I am very serious about it.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Check your spelling before you go any further!

Seriously though, is your heart set on China? Get as much advice as you can about jobs/countries in Asia and SE Asia before you decide on a career here. China has some very cruddy industrial cities which you need to avoid. Some places there are not very welcoming--the people spit, slobber over their dinner and may even be strange or slightly aggressive towards you, so I hear. It sounds amusing and exotic at first, although could be an uncomfortable experience for some...... not to mention the workload, power blackouts and terrible apartments which some teachers put up with.

All of these places have upsides and downsides. I am no expert on Korea, Japan, Taiwan etc.
    Personally, I like Malaysia.

Everyone has stories and opinions. Thailand is probably your best bet as a first-timer, for all of the reasons above (and then some). You need somewhere for your plane to land, after all.

You need to do your CELTA or similar (TEFL) qualification sooner or later. It is quite tough, but only takes a month or so. You can do it in Thailand. People will take you more seriously and there will be many more decent jobs open to you. Above all, it will help you. Do your research and check out what is available. Some courses are good, some are not. Personally, I would do the course before I came here, but you may not have the time. Yes, you can still get a job in some places if you have white skin and no TEFL, but you are more limited.

Whatever you imagine about any of these countries, you will not be 100% right. Everybody has preconceptions. I used to bother friends and old hands all of the time, nagging them to tell me everything possible about Thailand. They were very patient with me! Now I know why.

Good Luck

P
    Last edited by pauleddy; 1st November 2007 at 21:15.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12