International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you deserve a Christmas break you Farang you?

Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Do you deserve a Christmas break you Farang you?

Well, here we are - that time of the year, and I'm sure some of us have got it good, and some of us are stuck in a faculty that doesn't acknowledge Christmas for shit.

For some, Christmas is the ONE holiday that we would want to have in the year -- take away all the others, but give us Christmas. So how do YOU feel about this? Do you think schools (particularly gov't ones here in question) are being a bit HARSH to require catholic foreigners to work on Christmas, as if it were just another ordinary day, to be spat at, abused or just downright disappointed with the worthless twats you teach in the 'normal program'?

Do you think teachers who normally celebrate Christmas have the right to take a day off work on Christmas here in Thailand?

One argument is that Thais sure as hell don't get 20+ days off from work from all their public holidays while being abroad, so why should WE get ONE day off on Christmas is we're in Thailand? That wouldn't be fair for Thais, right? My argument to this is that Thai holidays are mostly a waste of time and have no real significance as they are mostly used by Thais as another lazy day off work for lazy people (but hey, who am I to say such a thing?)

Then there's my argument that Thais have fruitless activities like sa-ports day TWICE a year, knocking off at least a couple days or a week (or even more) of teaching. TWICE a year. If the government can afford such a waste of time, surely they can give us all a break and out of ummm, 'gratitude' acknowledge Christmas as a public holiday for foreign teachers who would like to celebrate it with their families? Wouldn't that be nice?

So how about YOU... do YOU deserve a Christmas break you farang you?
    I wish I could afford to make just a dollar a year.

Just Buy a Mac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greatest human on Earth Array howdooski's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Do you deserve a Christmas break you Farang you?

It is not a matter of whether I deserve a Christmas Day holiday, but a matter of precedent your honour....
    Last year it was exam week when the day of Christmas occurred. You farang you, was given the day off school....
    Therefore this year, I shall not be coming to school on wan Crimbo!
    Who is as wise as the wise man?
    Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool that follows him?

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theanimaster
    So how do YOU feel about this?
    I think my signature covers that one.
    Do you think schools (particularly gov't ones here in question) are being a bit HARSH to require catholic foreigners to work on Christmas, as if it were just another ordinary day, to be spat at, abused or just downright disappointed with the worthless twats you teach in the 'normal program'?
    No they're not being harsh at all. Not even close. We're in Thailand, on their schedule, on their terms. Most teachers signed a contract that most likely highlighted holidays. If the contract is signed, that leaves the employee without a leg on which to stand.
    Do you think teachers who normally celebrate Christmas have the right to take a day off work on Christmas here in Thailand?
    Under a civil or human right?
    My argument to this is that Thai holidays are mostly a waste of time and have no real significance as they are mostly used by Thais as another lazy day off work for lazy people (but hey, who am I to say such a thing?)
    Super. Perhaps an early celebration when you had off for Constitution day would have been appropriate?
    If the government can afford such a waste of time, surely they can give us all a break and out of ummm, 'gratitude' acknowledge Christmas as a public holiday for foreign teachers who would like to celebrate it with their families? Wouldn't that be nice?
    Will you be going to church on your day off? Isn't midnight mass the big one on Christmas? Couldn't you go to that and then make it up for work on Christmas.
    So how about YOU... do YOU deserve a Christmas break you farang you?
    As I don't take Jesus Christ to be my lord and savior, no, I don't deserve the day off.

poltroon and blagard Array reinvented's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

why are you approaching tis as a negotiation?

just dont go in, and theyll get the point, they dont have to respect your traditions but accept them, welcome them to the 21st century

end of story
    Serial Wolf Bagger

vCash
    Thanks

Well, we've got the 24th off because of the erections...just celebrate Jebus's b'day then...
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

vCash
    Thanks

What the feck has Christmas to do with Christianity these days anyway? It's just an excuse to over-indulge.
    Our House - The Big Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Road Home - Bangkok to Surat Thani

Southern Oil Palm and Rubber Plantations:

vCash
    Thanks

With kids I always take the day off. Luckily it always falls during midterms here and farang are given the day off. My kids school also goes back from the summer early so they get a week at Christmas as well.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

It would be nice if the sizeable Muslim population were acknowledged by the central government and offered certain public holidays that coincide with their beliefs. Even a small gesture such as that may help to improve the problems in the Deep South.

'Scots Wha Hae' - RIP Array ruaraidh's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

same as last year and the year before, i don't have a choice in the matter whether i 'deserve' it or not... like last year, i will be working on christmas day doing christmas activities with my 99.9% buddhist(sp) kids... i do have the luxury of 5 days at new year, which is my preferred festive holiday anyway, when i will be either in Hanoi or Koh Chang to celebrate...
    Merry Christmas everyone...

"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."

Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Well, I've had to rearrange my schedule and negotiate with teachers who don't mind coming in on Christmas (coz they have no immediate family here) just so I can take the day off. Normally I wouldn't have bothered letting our supervisor know I'd be taking the day off, but the better side of me decided it was the 'right' thing to do and hence I had all this to worry about. I'm still meant to at least come in for the morning session but I might not even do that. Our boss is arguing that that lazy fuckwit Filipino will be complaining about him having to go to work when I don't if I don't show up, and that's why she wants everyone to go. I argued the dickhead will just go out on a beer binge anyways, since he has no kid or wife to spend some quality time with. Fair enough that's his business and mine's mine and I guess I can't say that drinking out is less important as spending time with family as some of you would agree differently as well. The fact that I actually teach and prepare my lessons better than this loser also doesn't give me more of a right I suppose. No bonuses here, that's for sure.

Actually, if we had a Christmas play (where I get my chance to flaunt my stage directing and people performance skills) I probably wouldn't have so much of a problem coming to school as I see it as a 'beneficial show of international culture' and I would actually get the feeling of doing something good. But coming to school on a normal day doing the same crap, getting the same poor results is depressing in the least. At least a Christmas show would be another nice addition to my repertoire -- but guess what -- this year they've cancelled all Christmas shows whatsoever to give way to tan-tan-taann... SAPORT DAY NUMBER 2 !! Yes, the second part of the ill-celebrated, unproductive flaunting of skin and flat chested nimphos wanting to be the next Tata Young.

I wouldn't be surprised if Thailand's next public holiday is 'Idiot Day'. Pay respect to the peasant-like attitudes of Thai society.

vCash
    Thanks

just another ordinary day, to be spat at, abused or just downright disappointed with the worthless twats you teach in the 'normal program'?

funny sorta place u work at,,,, I suggest a new job

no

I-never-dun-a-ting-rong-in-me-life-m8

vCash
    Thanks

i'm off until jan 7th. smug bastard that i am

vCash
    Thanks

I'm working on Chrissy Day

then off until the 7th

vCash
    Thanks

Animaster, Thailand's a Buddhist country. It's just another day.

If you want Christmas off- get a job at a catholic school. As I did.

vCash
    Thanks

I wouldn't be surprised if Thailand's next public holiday is 'Idiot Day'. Pay respect to the peasant-like attitudes of Thai society.
    Considering what the holiday has turned into for most people in the West, would you think it's fair to give Christmas Day a new name?

How about:

Rampant Materialism Day
    Keeping up with the Jones's Day
    Perpetuation of Silly Outdated Beliefs Day
    Sales and Marketing Day
    Save the Economy Day
    Degredation of the Environment Day
    Debt Day

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast