International House - Bangkok

Thread: Pissy spurned employers

vCash
    Thanks

Pissy spurned employers

I went down to Rayong on Monday for an interview at a government M1-6 school. They wanted me to sign a contract right then and there and start on March 24th but I felt that the location was just a bit too far out in the sticks and told them I'd like a few days to mull it over.

Anyway, the pinhead who runs the language dept at my current school had arranged to have an American fellow come up for an interview yesterday. Poor bastard was told to show up at 10 am sharp and was then left sitting on his ass with only me as company in the teachers' room until pinhead sauntered in a little before 1 pm. She talked to him for roughly 5 minutes and told him she wasn't ready to interview him yet and asked him to come back at 8am today. Needless to say, the guy was a little taken aback. She'd arranged this interview a month ago, blew the guy off and expected him to shell out for another night in a hotel. He did so, had the interview this morning (at 9am). He was less than impressed with the treatment he got here and I didn't blame him. As I'd already decided to turn down the offer in Rayong, I thought I'd try to make ammends and so I told the guy about the position in Rayong, gave him the contact info and whatnot as he said he'd be interested.

I emailed the Tamil git in charge of recruiting in Rayong to tell him I wasn't interested but knew a person who might be.

I got an email back saying they didn't need my charity. They weren't that impressed with my credentials anyway as they had hundreds of better qualified applicants. Further, they had no interest in hiring Americans as "american's education system is very not good!" so we could both just piss off.

Anyone else experienced the petulant, surly employer? Can't wait to see how my pinhead boss reacts when it comes time to quit. And I thought Korean boss's were bad.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Pissy spurned employers

Any person, such as the one who mocked you after you respectfully declined, is just demonstrating what kind of petty person they are to work with and in the process confirming your decision not to sign with them.

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Tamil, eh?

I've not had this kind of experience. I would not have put up with what that other bloke put up with. I really wish others would not. It kind of emboldens these power mad losers.

Good post mug!
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

There are a lot of TEFL jobs in Thailand and unfortunately quite a few are run by shitheads.

Telfwatch 'em. I'm not sure if Pinhead is there yet (shows promise), but the Tamil guy definitely deserves a mention. Some people will disagree with this, but I think if a recruiter goes out of their way to act stupid and insult you in an email, the whole unedited exchange (your offer and their reply) bears posting on TW.
    Last edited by john_bkk; 7th March 2008 at 02:03.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Killing Me Softly 101
    Teflwatch em agree.
    In agreeance. That's why it's there....to forewarn others.

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

No doubt these "employers" are all graduates of the Thai Professional Teacher's test.

Yes, not all but many have a whole lot to learn about professionalism.

I got an email back saying they didn't need my charity. They weren't that impressed with my credentials anyway as they had hundreds of better qualified applicants. Further, they had no interest in hiring Americans as "american's education system is very not good!" so we could both just piss off.
    I suggest you print that out and send one copy to the Teacher's council, one to the district officer where it happened and one to the American Embassy. Maybe they have to learn about professionalism the hard way.
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson
    I suggest you print that out and send one copy to the Teacher's council, one to the district officer where it happened and one to the American Embassy. Maybe they have to learn about professionalism the hard way.
    Also, get the actual email posted on TEFL watch. Then hopefully they will be forced to hire some real tossers in the future

Quote Originally Posted by panhunger
    I've not had this kind of experience. I would not have put up with what that other bloke put up with. I really wish others would not. It kind of emboldens these power mad losers.
    Agreed. That's when you walk out and tell them you are looking for a more professional organization.

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Also, get the actual email posted on TEFL watch. Then hopefully they will be forced to hire some real tossers in the future
    Good idea as well.

I think some real pressure has got to be brought to bear on some of these pricks. Unprofessional pricks at that.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson
    No doubt these "employers" are all graduates of the Thai Professional Teacher's test.
    Russellsimpson, there aren't any yet. 22 foreigners did the tests and ZERO passed .

No. me thinks, these "employers" failed all four tests. They went to the wrong city at the wrong date .

Stamp

out of control Array bewildered wanderer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

when the email is up on TEFLWatch, post the link will ya...
    I'd like to read it for kicks
    "Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand."
    - Woody Allen