--> International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uni Teacher denied work permit based on new requirements

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Uni Teacher denied work permit based on new requirements

I teach at a uni in the northeast and have been denied a work permit based on the new requirements. I am not very alarmed. It's my understanding, and the understanding of most, that as a uni teacher I should not have been denied, but this doesn't matter much when the immigration official has a different understanding.

I have been in Thailand for over ten years and have had a work permit for the duration of that time. I had previously been working for a private language school (the big one) and never had a problem. I recently began teaching at uni in the northeast and when I went to renew my work permit/visa in February, I was told I needed to get a TL first.

I have a BA in English with an Ed minor. I took and passed the NTE exam in the US and was licensed to teach there. I taught as a full tme teacher in New York City before coming east.

Again, I am not posting this to "alarm" uni teachers. I think that this issue will be worked out for me over the coming weeks. The fact remains, however, that this issue is having reprecussions and after having had no problems for ten years, I am now on my second tourist visa.

Yes, this is my first post. No, I am not a "troll" or whatever that is, I just don't spend all that much time on line.

Does anyone know where (in which document) it states that university teachers do not need the TL?

I could use the input. Thanks.

Senior Member Array kidneystone's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Uni Teacher denied work permit based on new requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Ajarn North

Does anyone know where (in which document) it states that university teachers do not need the TL?

Basically the MOE requirement is that you need a TL to teach minors. i.e. under 18's. Now as the MOE effectively stopped M5's from going straight to Uni and missing M6 about 2 years ago you should never see a minor in Uni nowadays, ergo no requirement for TL.

out of control Array bewildered wanderer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

University teachers do not fall under the MoE, they are under the ministry of university affairs.The TL is issued by the MoE for teacher rgulation. Is your uni government or private? If private, you may have a problem. I would like to say that I am suprised that no one at your uni knows the law, but TiT
    "Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand."
    - Woody Allen

vCash
    Thanks

Not sure how much of this works...but here's a link. Good luck!

คุรุสภา - สภาครูและบุคคลากรทางการศึกษา

PM me and I'll give you the name of the Secretary General of the TCT and his phone number if you'd like.

vCash
    Thanks

Josh,

To me its simply amazing that they can't keep that one document on a web page so we may view it. As you said....typical.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

As others have already said, if your uni is a government one you don't need a TL - I used to work at a government uni in Bangkok and did my own visa/work permit runs to the respective offices.
    But you say that you've worked at a private language school for some years: actually you would, technically, have needed a TL for that in order to get a work permit because it's a private school (assuming you taught kids as well as adults). Why didn't you get one and why did the Min of Labour not ask for one? Odd, but 'This is Thailand', of course.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paully
    As others have already said, if your uni is a government one you don't need a TL
    the same rule applies for private universities and colleges

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

^ Thought so - and the rule that you have to have a TL applies to private schools (where kids are taught) and has done for some years. Curious.

Veni,Vidi,Vici Array soijetcornergirl's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

"Life is so much better here since I discovered the Ignore List."

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

First of all, thanks for the input. All useful and I will see how things go over the coming days.

Topper, I tried to PM you to get that info, but apparently I need five posts before I can PM anyone. This is #4.

In answer to some questions, I paid little attention to the paperwork process for the ten years that I worked at the private language school (three letter acronym and not ECC) because that end of things was taken care of for me. All I had to do was sign a bunch of copies every year and make an appearance at the local labor department. I don't think I had a TL - technically my school did not teach kids - or if I did it was not the kind I am being asked to get now.

As I said in my original post, I think this comes down to the local immigration officer here in the northeast having a different understanding of the new laws.

Add to that the fact that at my uni I am the only foreign teacher so the school does not have anyone on staff with much experience dealing with visa/work permitissues.

I will post again as things develop. Thanks again.
    -----
    Oh, and yes, it is a government uni that I am currently working for. There. That's #5.
    Last edited by Ajarn North; 13th March 2008 at 10:29. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

Add to that the fact that at my uni I am the only foreign teacher
    It can be lonely and confusing being the only farang kee nok on campus, can't it?

As I well know (in the same rudderless boat myself)!
    When the great lord passes the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts

vCash
    Thanks

I teach at a uni in the northeast and have been denied a work permit based on the new requirements. I am not very alarmed. It's my understanding, and the understanding of most, that as a uni teacher I should not have been denied, but this doesn't matter much when the immigration official has a different understanding.

I have been in Thailand for over ten years and have had a work permit for the duration of that time. I had previously been working for a private language school (the big one) and never had a problem. I recently began teaching at uni in the northeast and when I went to renew my work permit/visa in February, I was told I needed to get a TL first.

I have a BA in English with an Ed minor. I took and passed the NTE exam in the US and was licensed to teach there. I taught as a full tme teacher in New York City before coming east.

Again, I am not posting this to "alarm" uni teachers. I think that this issue will be worked out for me over the coming weeks. The fact remains, however, that this issue is having reprecussions and after having had no problems for ten years, I am now on my second tourist visa.

Yes, this is my first post. No, I am not a "troll" or whatever that is, I just don't spend all that much time on line.

It is surprising that only new posters have problems with their extensions.
    No, I'm not a troll, I have been to Thailand for 10 years, never used ajarnforum, and now want to help you out guys and tell you that there are problems with extensions.

No problems with my extensions - Kanchanaburi, yesterday
    -----
    Probably R2D2's alter ego
    Last edited by kempos; 19th March 2008 at 08:57. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Senior Member Array Classic-Chassis's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Soi 7 corner girl, are you looking at PGCEs or the course offered in Thai uni's yet?
    Good link though.
    Those that want to read whatever they can want all freedoms, but have to understand they can have freedom, but it must be within the law.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Yes, Kempos. I am a "troll." And there is a monster under your bed. And if you get the right sword, you'll be able to battle the dragons of Mordor and save the princess.

Too much Dungeons and Dragons? Relax. Over 1000 posts? Go play outside.

Are there actually people who make up stories to put the fear in people on internet forums? If so, how very, very sad for them.

As I said in my initial post, my intent was not to unduly alarm uni teachers as I knew my problem was a case of misunderstanding, but to alert people that misunderstandings of this kind were possible and also to solicit help as to what docs I could reference to further state my case that I did not - as I already knew - need a TL. Thanks to those of you who helped.

Uni teachers fear not. All has been cleared. Folks at my school contacted immigration in a neighboring city. That imm office confirmed that a TL was not necessary for uni and called the local immigration where I had the initial problem. Fact remains, during all this my work permit/visa expired so now it's either off to Soi Suan Phlu in BKK or off to Laos (yet to be decided) to apply for a Non Imm B and start all over again.

So, lessons to be learned? You probably won't have any problem at all. Just my dumb luck. BUT... if you teach at a uni that's between nowhere and no place and you have a renewal coming up soon, make sure to go with enough time left on your old paperwork to allow for confusion OR have someone from your school go in advance with all of your paperwork for local immigration to look at so as to clear the path of any false obstructions.

That's it. That's all. No ghosts or gobblins. Only a few posts? Well, uh, yeah. There's a whole world out there.

vCash
    Thanks

Are there actually people who make up stories to put the fear in people on internet forums? If so, how very, very sad for them.
    Yes they are and that's very sad -> R2D2 for example.

Over 1000 posts? Go play outside.
    But I am outside!

if you teach at a uni that's between nowhere and no place and you have a renewal coming up soon, make sure to go with enough time left on your old paperwork to allow for confusion OR have someone from your school go in advance with all of your paperwork for local immigration to look at so as to clear the path of any false obstructions.
    Good advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast