--> International House - Bangkok
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What was your worst classroom discipline experience?

Box Stupid Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: What was your worst classroom discipline experience?

How was the pay?

A lousy and daring fellow Array Bubba's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Two things I learned that day: 1.) Never throw a students stuff outside the window (ok, so I tossed it, not really threw it)
    2.) She was a crazy bitch. No seriosuly... she DID have a mental disorder.
    3.) Ok, so I said 2, but the third thing I learned was not to do anything unless confirming whether the troublemaker is 100% sane or not.
    OK so spill th beans ... what's the story here ? Don't be coy now ...
    Nuts In A Blender

vCash
    Thanks

taking a flickknife off 2 prathom 4 kids in a temple school - no wait a minute that was the funniest moment - the worst was handing it to the Thai teacher who bunged it in her drawer and said 'so what?'
    the answer to the secret of the universe is the secret itself

and the secret is.........................................it isn't there

grasshopper 2008

vCash
    Thanks

LotusLevi, I used to live in Glendale before moving here, around Camelback and 42nd. (Well, actually I moved from there to 19th Ave & T-Bird and can you believe it...my car insurance went up!) before moving here, but I taught in a place just on the far west side of Glendale called "S*guaro Behavioral Institute."
    I feel ya man...some of the kids from that suburb of "America's test-market city" can be difficult to believe.
    Yeah, baby...skin cancer, Crazy Joe with his doggy-cams in the Sheriff's office and crank on every corner...gotta love Phoenix!!

Quote Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
    I taught at a junior high in Japan that was like something out of one of those bad Hollywood Blackboard Jungle flicks. Kids riding bikes and letting off fire extinguishers in the hall, toilet seats ripped off and flung into the parking lot, broken windows on a daily basis. One class was particularly bad. If I tried to give hand-outs, the little shits would just rip them up and fling the bits around like confetti. One kid was trying to carve through his desk with an xacto-knife. Another had made a makeshift bow and arrow set and spent most of his time firing arrows into the the ceiling tiles, the curtains or the projector screen if it was down. Kids would climb out the windows, throw chairs, scream at the top of their lungs, run out of the class and generally behave like extras from Lord of the Flies. This was a team taught class so I had a Japanese teacher in there with me who was supposed to be responsible for discipline and translation of meta-language. He mostly just took a chair and sat in the back with the 14 year old girls he was hoping to molest though.

3 girls from the same school were arrested for pimping out some 13 year olds in a telephone dating service in Machida, Tokyo. Two kids took a baseball bat and brained the Lawson's convience store clerk because he wouldn't sell them ciggies. (one was arrested for murder 4 years later, but not before he and his buddies stole my scooter from my apartment, rode it to the beach and trashed it there while I was away on summer holidays). The PTA called an emergency meeting with the parents to discuss just how out of hand things were at the school. While the meeting was going on, the kids went out and pulled the wipers, mirrors, and hubcaps off most of the cars and threw them in the street. They then went into the teachers' office and threw books and chairs into the swimming pool.

Ahhh....memories......

Step One: Kick the parents' asses for failing to kick their kids' asses.
    Step Two: Kick the kids' asses for what they did, both to the school and to others.
    Step three: Administer a heartfelt lecture on the values of 'tough love', then beat the ever-lovin' shit of the worst trouble makers before kicking them permanently out of the school, while advising the parents they'd be billed for damages caused by their little darlings.

Difficult to believe how far Japan has fallen. They used to justifiably pride themselves on having such an orderly society.
    Last edited by Rocker; 20th May 2008 at 19:39. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ...the beaches...the waves...the bikinis...Chang...ahhhhh!!!!!

Senior Member Array MisterStretch's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Geez, after reading these horror stories I guess I've had it easy.

My current situations are my greatest discipline problems. I teach in rural Korean schools with students who are allowed to sleep in class by their Korean teachers. Who don't really respect their teachers because most of them have already written the majority of the students off as incompetent and stupid. As a result of this I have had bit of trouble getting the students under control in the first few months.

But I have control. Occasionally I will have a student or even a few students who just won't shut up. Now, if I were a Korean teacher I could beat them. I don't hit students. I do put them out in the hallway, on their knees - which is fairly typical punishment.

In the case of a couple of boys, I've taken them out into the hall and read them the riot act, "I'm the teacher, you're the student." While eyeballing them hard. At 6'5", I can be rather imposing to a Korean teen.

I've never had to deal with violence on the scale that some of you have, I've never been threatened by a student, either.

Damn...some of these stories are rough.

vCash
    Thanks

A few years ago I taught junior high in the UK. It was a girls' school, years 7-11. During my tenure there:

1. A student came into class right after it had snowed and hurled a snowball right at my head.
    2. A student once left a used condom on my desk.
    3. I regularly had to check my chair for tacks and other sharp objects.
    4. I once couldn't open the door to the classroom because the students had stuffed hard candy into the keyhole.
    5. One student had a tantrum when I refused to let her sit next to her friends. Her tantrum had no less than 100 F-bombs.
    6. During a drama class, a year 7 student came up to me, lifted up her shirt, and asked "Sir! Do you like my tits?"

Exiled Liberal Array Killing Me Softly 101's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

My first year as a teacher I taught 7th and 8th grade English at Sequoia JHS in Fresno California just across from the Projects (Low income subsidized housing). All the boys were hispanic.

We got a shipment of books into class.

I innocently said, "I'm not going to bust you, someone give me your knife so I can open it."

Every boy in the class immediately took out his knife. Switchblades, stilettos. pen knives.

My future teaching career flashed across my eyes. I envisioned the principal walking by at just that moment firing me. I had to get discilpine back and this could not be reported or it would be my job.

I yell hey I was just kidding, put your knives away now. You don't me to get fired do you? (I was only about 23 years old then, a bit green, and teaching on an emergency credential.)

I took the small pocket knife from a student near me and cut the box open.

They boys were all smiling and thought it was funny. Not a single report from parents to administrators the next day. My teaching career continued.

(Leading finally to this post, on this board where you have also landed.)
    Last edited by Killing Me Softly 101; 22nd May 2008 at 01:46.
    If you want to challenge the world's most powerful factions, you're going to get attacked in all sorts of ways. That's the nature - the essence - of power: it is capable of exacting a cost for defying it.--Glenn Greenwald

vCash
    Thanks

I was a substitute teacher in Sacramento, CA for 3 years. I subbed in 4 different districts. Here's a few more bad scenarios:

1. My surname is "Hunt" and I always write "Mr. Hunt" on the board. I came back from lunch one day and as the 5th period class came in, they started laughing. I didn't know what they were laughing at until I turned around. Some bastard had written "Mr. Kunt" on the board.

2. I've had to break up several fights in class, but the worst one was between two sophomore girls. I literally had to pull them apart from each other. One of them came up to me later and asked to leave class early -- she was afraid for her life.

3. During my student teaching, one of the students in my master teacher's classes had a gun in his backpack. School was locked down immediately. No one was hurt.

4. Spitballs were thrown at me (and hit me) when my back was turned in a junior high class.

5. The first year I taught summer school, I was teaching 9th grade English. 80% of my students were African-American. I was regularly accused of being a racist by said students at least three times a week.

I'll think of some more later. I don't miss it one bit.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Killing Me Softly 101 View Post
    (I was only about 23 years old then, was well liked by my students, but a bit green.)
    Seriously....who cares whether students like you or not? That's the very last thing I ever think/care about as a teacher. So many so called teachers seem to be obsessed with "being popular".......a bit sad really.

Established User Array DontTaserMeDude's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

A student set the rubbish contaoiner in lclass alight. Six children had tom be hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

i had a kid, a complete shit who rattled my cage and lost his play to finish some work. he refused and for 3 months every morning, lunch play i had him in to finish the piece of work. 3 months later i shook his hand and told him he'd beaten me. the next day he handed in the work and we sat down and laughed about it. thhe guy went on to get some of the highest exam scores the school had ever seen and never gave anything but 100% ever again. in 10 years he's the only student i reckon who's got the better of me but jesus he had to work hard.

Senior Member Array
    Khon Kaen. We're getting a Central you Kalasin baanok fuckers!
    vCash
    Thanks

The only time I've ever experienced a problem was last year in one of my corporate classes. This katoey (one of the real bitchy pinched faced ones always playing with their hair etc) was making personal remarks in Thai about me to the class obviously thinking I didn't understand. I just said "Get out." and then continued the class as if nothing had happened when the student left. After the class I went straight to the HR managers office and told him that I wouldn't teach that student again. The HR guy asked if I'd accept an apology from the student and I refused. Never saw the katoey again.
    It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no Interior Minister of Thailand's son.

Exiled Liberal Array Killing Me Softly 101's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by My_Kow_Lope View Post
    Seriously....who cares whether students like you or not? That's the very last thing I ever think/care about as a teacher. So many so called teachers seem to be obsessed with "being popular".......a bit sad really.
    My vignette was 30 years ago. So go get a life. Was never obsessed. Yes I was their teacher. If they like me fine. If not so what. It was just the style of writing.

But start a thread. Whine some more. Lose more potential friends. Feel self important. I don't write to seek your approval or friendship.

I retired in any case. Next.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Kow_Lope View Post
    Seriously....who cares whether students like you or not?
    Not you. You made that clear. We can agree on that.

By the way did you ever clear up the problem with your 29 year old girl friend having to be home by 9PM because of her parents? I feel for you Mister. First the girl and now the students.
    http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/thai-la...ery-night.html (29 year old Thai g/f has to be home at 9.00pm every night)
    Last edited by Killing Me Softly 101; 22nd May 2008 at 02:14. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Xerographic Detournements Array re_fuse's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DontTaserMeDude View Post
    student set the rubbish contaoiner in lclass alight. Six children had tom be hospitalised for smoke inhalation
    I had an incendiary device thrown in ...First I knew was the students yelling ...I could not see the back of the classroom ...In my panic I said ' get the fuck outta here " as I made my way through the smoke to the back of the class room pushing students toward's the door .... I got to the sources and stupid me jumped on it putting the flames out.

A very high ranking policeman came to the school and told me not to tell anyone anything about it.

The Perp ...a ,17 year old kid got a warning

One student hospitalised for 24 hours

One teacher very shaken

vCash
    Thanks

I retired in any case. Next.
    Well done....probably the best thing you did in your 30 years of teaching......./trying to be liked.

By the way did you ever clear up the problem with your 29 year old girl friend having to be home by 9PM because of her parents? I feel for you Mister. First the girl and now the students.
    http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/thai-la...ery-night.html (29 year old Thai g/f has to be home at 9.00pm every night)
    I've already answered this on another thread....but let me repeat it especially for you.....

Yeah ....lots of luck actually....we're getting married soon. Being such a well educated girl (masters degree in Japanese Linguistics from Chula) and hard worker means that she's paying for half of the wedding. Also her Chinese-Thai parents have offered(which we won't be taking them up on) to give us an interest free loan of 10 million baht in order to buy a place in Bangkok. Apart from being a partner of equal in EVERY WAY....including financially, brain power, common interests, and traveling experiences etc...she's an absolute diamond....so I'm a really really lucky guy.....but thanks for asking though....I do appreciate your concern.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast