International House - Bangkok
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Native Speakers

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Native Speakers

However, last year British-American held a conference at which it was mentioned that the Dutch, because of their excellent language education and proficiency, should be considered as native speakers.

I can remember reading a report on the internet some time ago (can't find a link right now) that claimed the Dutch were the best non-native speakers of English in the world.

swing you sinners! Array Mr. Hales's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

i've always thought the danes were pretty damn good.
    "vast and black. the thing that was poised, like a crow over the moon. round and smooth. cannon balls. things that have fallen from the sky to this earth. our slippery brains. things like cannon balls have fallen, in storms, upon this earth. like cannon balls are things that, in storms, have fallen to this earth. showers of blood. showers of blood. showers of blood. " c.f.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I received an email from my former employer, prior to the start of my employment, that said something along the lines of, "We have one two women from Liverpool, an Australian, a South African (who is white), and may get a Cameroonian." I had sent an email asking about the current/other foreign teacher staff. The South African was an Afrikans-speaking fascist with pederast tendancies and a thick, thick accent. He was hired as a native speaker despite the fact that he was, in fact, not.

I just thought it was funny/sad/weird that the emailer thought they had to qualify S. African with "white." And if you think the Cameroonian and South African didn't get along like oil and water... yeah, you'd be about right.

connoisseur of empathy Array cluezo's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robitusson View Post
    It's Thailand. Presumably you're white. If you're white, you're a native speaker. Tell them how much you love everything about the culture, keep your mouth shut when the problems arise, act the clown like Andrew Biggs, play games with the kids, pass them all in their tests. Noooo worries.
    Exactly.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gvrixtel View Post
    Ok, explain this to me than: Filipinos, Indians, Jamaicans, Irish, and Pakistanis are all considered native speakers, but their native languages are respectively: Filipino, Indian (200 varieties), Jamaican, Irish, and Pakistani. Furthermore, unlike other “native” speakers, most Dutch are fluent tri-lingual being able to communicate in (of course) Dutch, English, and either French, German, Arabic, or Chinese. So once again, the question was not to ask for comments on the abilities of certain people. And to make it very simple for you who describes us as cloggies (only 1% of our population ever wore those things anyway), the definition native speaker applies to any citizen from a country where English has been mentioned in the constitution of that country as a national language. This would make me next to a native Dutch speaker also a native Frisian speaker but I cannot speak one word of the language (only 1% of our population can and this is not the same 1% as from the cloggies).
    Your English seems good enough to me.

Even more so given the piss-poor standard of so many Thais (you could only help them).

It's always freaked me out how well some Dutch, Scandos etc can speak Engerlish!
    When the great lord passes the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
    Shallow hal

still got a dictionary I see

well dun lar

Unless you learn to speak like this, u'r not native

Regular User Array tropic of cancer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

As others have said, as long as you're white you shouldn't have a problem. if you go through an agency they're likely to say you're a native speaker anyway - the school won't need your passport - and nobody is ever likely to find out. As far as I'm concerned you're a native speaker anyway; the only way you're likely to be deficient is in your idiomatic range, but that would probably be mitigated at your greater mastery of grammar. You may have a 'European' accent but the only thing a Thai would be capable of discerning was that you weren't American.

At my last school, I'd been there about 8 months before a Thai assistant told me all the teachers thought I was Swedish (I'm English). Can't say it bothered me (better than thinking I was a Brummie).

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tropic of cancer View Post
    At my last school, I'd been there about 8 months before a Thai assistant told me all the teachers thought I was Swedish (I'm English). Can't say it bothered me (better than thinking I was a Brummie).
    You're lucky they didn't really insult you and think that you were french

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kikiat View Post
    The Netherlands
    Well if he can refer to Pakistanis and Filipinos as "pakis and flips", I can be forgiven the assumption that he's from the Holland provinces of The Netherlands. They contain the only 3 Dutch cities that anyone else has ever heard of, after all, and almost 40% of the population.
    Quote Originally Posted by haltest View Post
    The mantra of morons (normally those who have no idea/skills/talent/knowledge/qualifications; and are scared they won't be able to find employment elsewhere so they blindly accept the status quo.
    A non-sequitur. The OP's the one who's sitting around moaning about how unfair the Thais are and that the system should be changed, instead of getting off his butt and selling his skills. What's he think, Ajarnforum's going to mobilize behind him and change the way the Thais run their schools?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234