--> International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is 'good' an adverb?

Regular User Array tropic of cancer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Is 'good' an adverb?

As regards such shifting of parts of speech, is American hegemony complete?

Teaching P2 today, I noticed the obligatory frieze of HM (legs crossed, in Buddhist garb) contained the injunctions 'live good', 'speak good', 'act good'.

I thought about drawing the classroom teacher's attention to the 'error' but then thought 'ah, what's the point?' I first noticed the usage penetrated England about 15 years ago when a guy answered my 'how are you?' with an 'I'm good' and since then it has flourished like that pesky Japanese weed.

Is it time for sticklers to give up the ghost?

Pretty Like Girl Array WilliamBlake's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Is 'good' an adverb?

Talk proper would you?
    This space for rent.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Put good next to a verb and see if it sounds right: She walks good? Yuck!

An old student of mine came to a gig once. At break time we sat. She informed me I'd made a grammatical error in a song, I Feel Good -James Brown. Bless her. Try to explain poetic license to an L2.

Senior Member Array MisterStretch's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Good is an adjective, it's corresponding adverb is well.

It's been in common use so long that it's understandable that you saw what you saw.

On another teachers' forum that I use someone made the argument that some things are fairly well-accepted in oral communication but still are not in written form.

This seems like one of those cases.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Sho nuff is. I feel pretty good today sounds a whole lot better than I feel pretty well today, unless you're English that is.

vCash
    Thanks

good - definition of good by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    Usage Note: Good is properly used as an adjective with linking verbs such as be, seem, or appear: The future looks good. The soup tastes good. It should not be used as an adverb with other verbs: The car runs well (not good). Thus, The dress fits well and looks good. See Usage Note at well2.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny danger View Post
    I feel pretty good today

Established User Array Ramalamadingdong's Avatar
    Somewhere between optimism, reality and madness!
    vCash
    Thanks

If I were you, the reason I wouldn't bring the faux pas to the students attention is not because of the grammatical inconsistencies. The reason should be that you would be pointing out a (possible) mistake under the picture of HM. BIG no no!

I was teaching Social Studies a few years ago and we got into a discussion of royalty worldwide. I said that the main reason that European nations stopped allowing their royalty to have any real power or influence was that most of the royalty was cruel, unjust and not at all interested in their subjects. I further pointed out that the reason we call an overthrow an overthrow is that we used to, literally, throw our Kings and Queens over the castle walls, if they were despotic. I then told the students how incredibly lucky they were to have a King who cared about them and did good things for them.

The political shitstorm that ensued proved to me that saying ANYTHING other than "I love him and long may he live" is tantamount to putting a noose around one's neck. Never mind that I praised their King. I included him at the end of a conversation about BAD kings, in other countries, hundreds of years ago.

WHAT was I thinking?
    Last edited by Ramalamadingdong; 12th November 2008 at 11:16. Reason: misspell
    "If you're walking through the jungle and you see a Cobra and an Indian, kill the Indian!"
    -Ancient Thai Proverb

"What caused early man to develop? One word...marijuana!"
    - Carl Sagan

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tropic of cancer View Post
    Teaching P2 today, I noticed the obligatory frieze of HM (legs crossed, in Buddhist garb) contained the injunctions 'live good', 'speak good', 'act good'.
    But saying 'live well, speak well and act well" in that context would be ludicrous wouldn't it? The word good is describing the manner in which the person should live, speak and act, not the verbs themselves. An English teacher allegedly trained in journalism and you can't fathom this meaning?

BTW why do most of your posts have a backhand stab at Thai culture, particularly the King?
    Papa was a rodeo - Mama was a rock'n'roll band
    I could play guitar and rope a steer before I learned to stand

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markle View Post
    But saying 'live well, speak well and act well" in that context would be ludicrous wouldn't it? The word good is describing the manner in which the person should live, speak and act, not the verbs themselves. An English teacher allegedly trained in journalism and you can't fathom this meaning?
    Said good, markle!

vCash
    Thanks

As regards such shifting of parts of speech, is American hegemony complete?

I thought about drawing the classroom teacher's attention to the 'error' but then thought 'ah, what's the point?' I first noticed the usage penetrated England about 15 years ago when a guy answered my 'how are you?' with an 'I'm good' and since then it has flourished like that pesky Japanese weed.

Is it time for sticklers to give up the ghost?
    kwam dii is what is likely being translated here... so the "mistake" is the lack of the definite article "the", if there is any mistake to be drawn to someone's attention...

also, "i'm good" is just fine... less formal-sounding than "i'm fine", which is good... both "fine" and "good" are adjectives in this standard phrase, so what this might have to do with adverbs is anyone's guess... and how this usage is related to "good" as an abstract noun is equally mysterious in regard to your question about adverbs...

all in all, it's probably a good thing you didn't point out the "mistake", since all the mistakes are yours... "sticklers" are well-advised to brush up on their language skills before they venture to stickle...

and the gratuitous sideswipe at American usage is out of place in these sections of the forum if the new rules apply to standard Brit condescension from below...

Established User Array bingo enthusiast's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Usage of ‘Good’ and ‘Well’

You do something well, but a thing is good. The exception is verbs of sensation in phrases such as “the pie smells good,” or “I feel good.” Despite the arguments of nigglers, this is standard usage. Saying “the pie smells well” would imply that the pastry in question had a nose. Similarly, “I feel well” is also acceptable, especially when discussing health; but it is not the only correct usage.

plagiarism rules!

vCash
    Thanks

But saying 'live well, speak well and act well" in that context would be ludicrous wouldn't it?
    Well no, it wouldn't, it would be correct English. If you want to describe the manner of living you would say 'live in a good manner' (or perhaps a 'good way')

BTW why do most of your posts have a backhand stab at Thai culture, particularly the King?
    They don't, but anyway, what's it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by emjay View Post
    also, "i'm good" is just fine... less formal-sounding than "i'm fine", which is good... both "fine" and "good" are adjectives in this standard phrase, so what this might have to do with adverbs is anyone's guess... and how this usage is related to "good" as an abstract noun is equally mysterious in regard to your question about adverbs...

I'm good has always meant in english English 'I am a good person' (I possess the quality of goodness) and whilst it's true, you can colloquially 'feel good' (which has a slightly different emphasis to that of 'feel well'), you certainly can't 'live good', 'speak good' and 'act good'!

Not where I come from at any rate. this has nothing to do with condescension, but everything to do with felicity of expression. I happen to adore much American idiom - the greatest exponents of the language are all American
    Last edited by tropic of cancer; 12th November 2008 at 13:35. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

Not where I come from at any rate. this has nothing to do with condescension, but everything to do with felicity of expression. I happen to adore much American idiom - the greatest exponents of the language are all American
    What a crock of shit!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If you can't say something nice about someone, shut the f*k up
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emjay View Post
    kwam dii is what is likely being translated here... so the "mistake" is the lack of the definite article "the", if there is any mistake to be drawn to someone's attention...

all in all, it's probably a good thing you didn't point out the "mistake", since all the mistakes are yours... "sticklers" are well-advised to brush up on their language skills before they venture to stickle...

and the gratuitous sideswipe at American usage is out of place in these sections of the forum if the new rules apply to standard Brit condescension from below...
    I'm not quite sure what you're going on about here. Maybe you're saying that the phrase is being translated from something like 'a life of (doing) good' which is a standard usage of, as you say an abstract noun ('can we do some good?').

Whatever it's a translation of however doesn't alter the fact that it's ended up as bad English and the mistake (and it is a mistake) is squarely down, as I see it, to the dominance of U.S. English and the phenomenon of using adjectives instaed of adverbs (run fast, drive safe).

But I don't suppose it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister T View Post
    What a crock of shit!!
    chip on your shoulder?
    Last edited by tropic of cancer; 12th November 2008 at 19:42. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

the greatest exponents of the language are all American
    Not at all, I am well rounded and quite adjusted - but that quote? Are you serious? or am I misunderstanding your meaning.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast