--> International House - Bangkok
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Distance PGCE with Nottingham Uni

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Distance PGCE with Nottingham Uni

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Sorry Paully - think we were at slightly crossed purposes here !

3. The PGCE (international) though is a different beast and that is what i am questioning the validity of. It's a 100% online course, provided by Sunderland Uni and Nottingham Uni. I believe that at Sunderland, your fees pay for an assessor to come out and visit you, and at Nottingham, you submit videos of your lessons. HOWEVER you will NOT get QTS (qualified teacher status) in the UK with this qualification. So my question is, 'is there any point in doing this wholly online course in Thailand to try to get a job in an International School here in Thailand?'
    Ah, get what you mean now.
    I think because it is called a 'PGCE' that the international version would still have value for those who want to further themselves by teaching overseas in international schools, as opposed to language schools. One 'PGCE' would look to the outsider much like another. The course would also bear the stamp of the UK university running it and result in the issue of a shiny certificate for schools and countries which value that kind of thing (Thailand springs to mind as such a country). I wouldn't know whether the content of the international PGCE is that much different from the domestic UK one.
    I can see that it would be a useful qualification if you were employed at an international school and needed 'a PGCE' to bring your qualifications to the same level as the other teaching staff but avoid the expense and time of returning to the UK for the better-known domestic version.

Thailand, love it! Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paully View Post
    Ah, get what you mean now.

I can see that it would be a useful qualification if you were employed at an international school and needed 'a PGCE' to bring your qualifications to the same level as the other teaching staff but avoid the expense and time of returning to the UK for the better-known domestic version.
    Have to disagree here Paully.

Most of the Internationals (UK ones) require the QTS which comes with a home-grown PGCE and are unlikely to view the 'International' version (Professional Graduate Certificate in Education which concentrates heavily on the theory of teaching) very favourably with regards to Classroom Teacher positions or Subject teaching. IMHO.
    Last edited by WhatsGrammar?; 21st October 2009 at 02:21.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsGrammar? View Post
    Most of the Internationals (UK ones) require the QTS which comes with a home-grown PGCE and are unlikely to view the 'International' version very favourably with regards to Classroom Teacher positions or Subject teaching. IMHO.
    Agree absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    If that is NOT the case, then what are peoples' thoughts on continued professional training? Ma Education? Ma Tesol ?
    Worth it if you are heading for the Middle East.

Pretty much worthless in Thailand without a PGCE.
    Last edited by Cyrille; 21st October 2009 at 02:21.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jetho23 View Post
    Sunderland appears to be the most established of the course but with the P standing for Professional, instead of Post, I have some concerns. Do I have good reason to be concerned or is it basically the same thing?
    As far as I'm aware, if the PGCE assignments aren't completed at a masters level, the result is a professional graduate compulsory ed cert. Post is greater valued... but both give QTS

actually I'm wrong.... professional gce doesn't award QTS
    Last edited by process; 21st October 2009 at 02:33.

Thailand, love it! Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Sure. Go with the MEd's or the MATESOL (or Applied Linguistics) or look at the joint MATESOL & Applied Linguistics which is offered by the Uni of Leicester (Distance-learning).

I have QTS but having decided years ago that I am not interested in teaching in the UK anymore I found the MA from Leicester Uni very helpful. Certainly increases your future career options and financial status.

Quote Originally Posted by process View Post
    As far as I'm aware, if the PGCE assignments aren't completed at a masters level, the result is a professional graduate compulsory ed cert. Post is greater valued... but both give QTS
    Hard to see how that would apply. One of the requirements now is to pass the 'Skill's Test' before QTS is awarded so hard to figure out how a grad compulsory cert qualifies, assuming you have failed the 'Skills Test'? (At Masters level ? I think ?)

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by WhatsGrammar?; 21st October 2009 at 02:36. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

The skills test is mandatory in England, but not Wales - dunno about Scotland & Ireland...

but yeah work not completed to masters level = professional grad comp ed = no QTS

Thailand, love it! Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by process View Post
    The skills test is mandatory in England, but not Wales - dunno about Scotland & Ireland...
    Scotland and Ireland have teachers?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsGrammar? View Post
    Have to disagree here Paully.

Most of the Internationals (UK ones) require the QTS which comes with a home-grown PGCE and are unlikely to view the 'International' version (Professional Graduate Certificate in Education which concentrates heavily on the theory of teaching) very favourably with regards to Classroom Teacher positions or Subject teaching. IMHO.
    Glad to say I'm pleased to hear it, WG. Thanks for that.

Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Sorry to bump this thread, but it remains to be answered --

WHAT's the Distance PGCE from the University of Nottingham like?

Do you get a shiny certificate saying "you are now God" at the end?

What's the workload like?

Can you apply for the course if you've done a bachelor's degree in Design, have been teaching for 7 years in a Thai government school and can draw really really nice and put on brilliant presentations?

I'm about to apply. I need 'certification' and I can't really go back to school (physically) because I have 2 kids and a wife to support here in Bangkok. Between this PCGE(i) and the course being run at Chulalongkorn University (in which the contact person never answers email), I'm really leaning toward doing the PGCE.
    I wish I could afford to make just a dollar a year.

Just Buy a Mac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    It seems that none of the distance programs qualify you for licensing directly
    What about the OU?

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGareth2 View Post
    What about the OU?

Nope.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234