--> International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Believe it or not....

vCash
    Thanks

Icon13 Believe it or not....

Just thought I would share. I had a walk-in applicant today and here is the gist of the conversation:

Me: Thanks for stopping by, may I see your resume and back-up documentation please?
    App: Oh I don't have one. I have only been in Thailand for 4 months and have only done volunteer teaching.

Me: Were you a teacher in your home country?
    App: Yes, I taught sports for 4 years

Me: Great, then may I see that resume?
    App: I don't have one, I have very little experience in Thailand.

Me: I understand that, but if you want to secure a teaching position, then you must have proof that you were a teacher in the past. Future employers like to check references and see the subjects you taught as well as the ages of the children. Even volunteer experience should be listed, detailing the number of students, their ages, and if you created your own materials.
    App: Yes, I understand, but I only taught for three months in Thailand as a volunteer when I traveled.

Me: May I suggest that you create a resume that outlines your experience in your home country, as well as your experience here in Thailand?
    App: Yes, thank you but I do not have any experience in Thailand.

OMG - shoot me now!!!!

I also had an interview scheduled and confirmed by the applicant for 10:30am. At 11am I called to find out if she was delayed. Here is what she said:

"I am so sorry maam, my cousin got sick and cannot take me, so I will not show to the interview today"

What ever happened to professional courtesy of calling and advising that you are not able to make the appointment and you would like to reschedule? She had 9 years of experience but I am no longer interested, if she did that on an interview - just imagine the possibilities!!!
    "Ideal teachers are those who use themselves as bridges over which they invite their students to cross, then having facilitated their crossing, joyfully collapse, encouraging them to create bridges of their own." -- Nikos Kazantzakis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Working Towards a Better Life
    for Thailand Soi Cats & Dogs

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

Re: Believe it or not....

You're nice. For app one I would have cut him/her off after the first answer and said, "I'm busy."

App 2 would have never gotten a call.

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Wow, that's really bad. No wonder Thailand wants its
    white monkeys qualified.
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

Pretty Like Girl Array WilliamBlake's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

"My cousin can't take me."

So, you don't drive, have a car, a motorbike, a bicycle, or know how to use public transport.

Hmmm, how do you intend to get to work?
    This space for rent.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mvinci View Post
    a walk-in applicant today
    What's the job?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member Array Getorfmoiland's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

You have checked for the lobotomy scar as he/she/it walked through the door.
    "Always forgive your enemies -- Nothing annoys them so much !"

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

App: Oh I don't have one. I have only been in Thailand for 4 months and have only done volunteer teaching.
    Translation: "I have been sitting on a plastic chair along Khao San for the last 3 weeks drinking the dregs of my vaca money trying to think of a plan."

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBlake View Post
    "My cousin can't take me." Hmmm, how do you intend to get to work?
    And you know what's worse...I actually gave her detailed instructions how to get to our school from Victory Monument, take A/C Express bus 538 - go past Future Park, tell them you want to get off at Klong Song Soi Hok zip. There you will see an overpass, cross to the other side of the road, in front of Country Place grab a motorbike - tell him "rung ruan Wanessa School; soi khao zip". I could not have been more generous with the information, go figure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robitusson View Post
    What's the job?
    Looking for K2 teacher with experience, and K3 teaching assistant, but the school only hires Filipinos for those positions - they can only afford one falang. And I'm not making that much!
    Last edited by Mvinci; 15th October 2009 at 12:51. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

take A/C Express bus 538 - go past Future Park, tell them you want to get off at Klong Song. There you will see an overpass, cross to the other side of the road, in front of Country Place grab a motorbike - tell him "rung ruan Wanessa School; soi khao zip".
    See you at 3:00

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Getorfmoiland View Post
    You have checked for the lobotomy scar as he/she/it walked through the door.
    I will for sure next time!!

vCash
    Thanks

Looking for K2 teacher with experience, and K3 teaching assistant, but the school only hires Filipinos for those positions - they can only afford one falang. And I'm not making that much!
    So presumably the job on offer doesn't pay much either. I mean frankly if the pay's poor then the applicants will be as well. It's hardly surprising. Why would somebody who's got their shit together apply for jobs with shite money?

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    See you at 3:00
    Come on down.....you're the next contestant on "I want to teach for peanuts!"

Quote Originally Posted by robitusson View Post
    So presumably the job on offer doesn't pay much either. Why would somebody who's got their shit together apply for jobs with shite money?
    We hire Filipinos, who unfortunately are considered "asian" and make a little more than our Thai teachers. Plus we have free meals, housing allowance and they cover the cost of processing visa and work permits. Also, the school "supposedly" has a great reputation, so most new teachers come to get the experience of brain gym, mind mapping and multiple intelligences teaching concepts. I did my coursework in Multiple Intelligences and wanted a chance to actually put it into practice, from there the job evolved into Program Coordinator, so I am pretty content add that title to my resume with the benefit of taking time off to travel when I want. For me, it isn't all about the money, although if I was offered a job paying $60K I would grab it, my needs are simple, and as I posted before I actually save more than 10K B per month.

It's good to be me!
    Last edited by Mvinci; 15th October 2009 at 13:12. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Remember...108 Array BerryGoose's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBlake View Post
    "My cousin can't take me."

So, you don't drive, have a car, a motorbike, a bicycle, or know how to use public transport.

Hmmm, how do you intend to get to work?
    Falang kit mak!

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

from there the job evolved into Program Coordinator, so I am pretty content add that title to my resume with the benefit of taking time off to travel when I want. For me, it isn't all about the money, although if I was offered a job paying $60K I would grab it, my needs are simple, and as I posted before I actually save more than 10K B per month.
    Sounds sweet to me! Personally anymore I take being here as a sharp stick in the side to educate to the best of my abilities against all the travel, fun and recreation that can be had. It's a sweet and sour life at times, but mostly I enjoy the sweet.

vCash
    Thanks

I did my coursework in Multiple Intelligences and wanted a chance to actually put it into practice, from there the job evolved into Program Coordinator, so I am pretty content add that title to my resume with the benefit of taking time off to travel when I want. For me, it isn't all about the money, although if I was offered a job paying $60K I would grab it, my needs are simple, and as I posted before I actually save more than 10K B per month. It's good to be me!
    I like it when farangs realize that Thailand is not a goldmine. However, and I guess this is just me, but I would have to be getting 60k to live in Bangkok. I'm just not a big fan of the place and expenses are high. I worked for 21k a month in Changers (and I had over three years teaching experience from Thailand and the States). But I didn't minds cause I love Chiang Mai that much.

However, aside from those who see the school as a jump start for teachers without a degree and passion for the profession, I agree with Robi; you can't expect much more than drunks, sexpats, flakes, or people just looking to extend their holiday. For the most part, Philipinos are as good as it's gonna get.
    more time for wastin'

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast