--> International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Bangkok a Guaranteed teaching job? No Luck Here in Krabi

Established User Array fakebrock2's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Is Bangkok a Guaranteed teaching job? No Luck Here in Krabi

So there are no open positions here in Krabi for me and my girlfriend. I have also heard of budget cuts that will result in no jobs for up to 3 months.

We might need to make a move somewhere that can guarantee us a job ahead of time.

Are there a lot of teaching jobs in Chiang Mai?

The main question is, what are the chances of setting up a job in BK ahead of time, that will get us started maybe even with a place to live ASAP.

We both have degrees and TEFL certification.

Any ideas?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Is Bangkok a Guaranteed teaching job? No Luck Here in Krabi

Most places would expect you to attend an interview of some sort if you're in the country. I'd suggest getting some interviews lined up then come here even if just for a couple of days

vCash
    Thanks

What is a livable wage in BKK. I have seen the thread about living on 30k. But for two people who enjoy going out and want to save a bit of money. What is a good salary for both of us.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

30x2 60thousand would be plenty I think. I earn 40k and my partner 12k we do just fine

vCash
    Thanks

"30x2 60thousand would be plenty I think. I earn 40k and my partner 12k we do just fine"

How much do you pay to live there? What do you think is the going rate for a decent place, maybe a little on the nicer side in a good part of town? We are looking at craigslist, but it seems a bit unreliable.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

between me and the mrs we make around 110K/mo and that is enough to save 20k I think. We like to go out often, brock you were warned about Krabi but you don't listen to advice from this forum.
    Daniel Bedingfield claimed that his new album is what it would sound like if Sting, Stevie Wonder and Micheal Jackson were in a basement together - I haven't got the album so I'll have to imagine the sound of a blind bloke and a Geordie kicking the shit out of a pedophile.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cream View Post
    We like to go out often, brock you were warned about Krabi but you don't listen to advice from this forum.
    You will run into the same problem in Chaing Mai.

FB why dont you and your partner come to BKK. Get a cheaper hotel for a week and actually get out and do the leg work most of us have? Go see the schools you are interested in. Go to the houses, apartments condos that interest you. Your only problem will be that you are late the new term started.

Initiative bro, get it in gear.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

^ I'd have difficulty spending that much money in a month! I earn about 60,000 per month and probably save at least 45,000 (excluding major purchases and flights).

Falling From Grace... Array Hollow's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

The "Will X amount be enough?" question is now completely redundent IMO. Some people can live on 10K, others, on no less than 50K. There is work in BKK but there are also alot of people wanting it. I'd agree with AO and others. Get up here, put on some boots and hit the well travelled path.
    Jesus is coming, open your mouth!

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cream View Post
    between me and the mrs we make around 110K/mo and that is enough to save 20k I think. We like to go out often, brock you were warned about Krabi but you don't listen to advice from this forum.
    I take advice from this forum, If I didn't I would have no reason to ask it.

We took our TEFL certification course in Krabi and decided we liked it. At the time there were several opportunities for jobs. We "put on our boots" and did TONs of legwork here. We visited upwards of 15 different schools form Ao Nang to Klom Muang back to Krabitown, including resorts.

So please don't think just because I come to this board for information that I am some snot nosed brat that expects other people to do things for them. I have put in plenty of leg work. We both have.

We hope to hear something from a couple job opportunities here in Ao Nang, But we are both setting up a back-up plan in case it all falls through here and we need to move somewhere else for a job.

We would come to BKK right now and do the legwork, but we just got back from Malaysia and my girlfriend is sick with the flu, not to mention we are waiting to hear back things here.

So right now, in the meantime before we have to make any late game decisions, we come to Ajarn for a little bit of help.

Thanks ahead of time bros

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

You were told not to go to Krabi but still went and now you want to go to CM? You have NO chance, sorry for being honest. Get yourself to Bangkok and into a government school for some exp...most people start out at language centers.

vCash
    Thanks

"You were told not to go to Krabi but still went and now you want to go to CM? You have NO chance, sorry for being honest. Get yourself to Bangkok and into a government school for some exp...most people start out at language centers."

Forgive me for being honest, but I take people's advice on the internet in consideration, not as gospel-especially after reading some of the replies from some people on here who are obviously jaded and out of touch.

No offense to you, I appreciate your help. I have intentions, if it comes down to it, to move to a place that can offer me a job. The prospect of Chiang Mai is appealing, but if no job offer, we don't go. Simple as that.

I love Krabi fwiw

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fakebrock2 View Post
    So there are no open positions here in Krabi for me and my girlfriend.
    Any ideas?
    I used to live in Krabi and commute to Hat Yai. I lived in one of those little lean-to kind of houses opposite the BoonSiam hotel. The drill would be to leave Krabi on the regular rot-tua Friday afternoon. Then on Saturday and Sunday I'd get in 20+ contact hours at this horrendous little language crammer. Sunday night would see me on the late minibus back - (still in my teaching shirt and tie). The minibus dropped me off outside the house in Krabi about 11pm. Monday to Friday I spent on the beach or whoring down the old soi jet before they pulled it down. But then I discovered that Hat Yai was an absolutely rocking town and moved.
    Last edited by banjo; 5th November 2009 at 11:50.

vCash
    Thanks

That's a rough commute to Hat Yai, what 4 hours? Hat Yai seemed like a pretty cool town. We would like to spend more time there.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fakebrock2 View Post
    I take people's advice on the internet in consideration, not as gospel-especially after reading some of the replies from some people on here who are obviously jaded and out of touch.
    Most people on this forum know a HELL of a lot more about Thailand than you do and you don't listen, I really do hope you get a dream job in CM but I doubt it mate. The people on this forum are not tourists we have been here for many years and know the place.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast