International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How do I explain "Gaps" in my CV?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

How do I explain "Gaps" in my CV?

Hi,

I just wrote this inside another thread, but wanted to put it out there.

Just a question about "noticeable gaps" in your employment record. I have a Bachelor of Teaching degree from Australia and to date have classroom teaching experience in 5 countries: Australia, England, Ireland, USA and 5 months TEFL experience in Bangkok. The thing is, I've also done a lot of travel in between those contracts so obviously have gaps in my employment record. I am in the process of applying for some International schools in Bangkok, so now I'm wandering how this will affect me?

Should I somehow explain this in my CV? How could I word this?

As far as I'm concerned, the travel part of my career which has included 35 countries, has been the best education on life there is, and I'm such a better educator for this. The lessons you learn about yourself and the world through traveling are priceless! One thing I find frustrating, and this has happened when I have returned home to Oz, is these generic application forms which don't cater to individuals like myself who have lived an un-common life! Sometimes you just want to be able to sit down and talk with the recruiter and explain your situation, and that you are SO much better qualified for having done what you've done!

By the way, and I don't mean to blow my own trumpet, but I would MUCH rather have my 2 year old little girl someday taught by someone like myself, who has very good teaching experience as well as LIFE EXPERIENCES within other cultures, open-mindedness, enthusiasm, and compassion, than someone who has taught for 50+ years in the one job at the one school and just teaches from a book and "goes through the motions!"

Thanks!

acostumbrado equivocado Array happynz's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by camakos View Post
    By the way, and I don't mean to blow my own trumpet, but I would MUCH rather have my 2 year old little girl someday taught by someone like myself, who has very good teaching experience as well as LIFE EXPERIENCES within other cultures, open-mindedness, enthusiasm, and compassion, than someone who has taught for 50+ years in the one job at the one school and just teaches from a book and "goes through the motions!"
    That sounds good. Put that in your CV and see how it flies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My alternative universe...
    Así pues, aquí estamos.

vCash
    Thanks

I've used "self-employed" to explain hiatuses (hiati?) in my work history. If pressed, which I haven't been, I would simply say that it didn't work out.

out of control Array bewildered wanderer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

the travel part of my career which has included 35 countries, has been the best education on life there is, and I'm such a better educator for this.
    as opposed to the on hands experience of being in a classroom and school? I wouldn't play that as my ace.

Don't lie. A passport tells many things as does a quick call to a previous school.
    "Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand."
    - Woody Allen

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

If in reference to Thailand just use the excuse your mum was ill or you had to eat.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Bewildered wanderer, I never intend to use my travel experience as my ace, was just making the point that there is more to being a great teacher than just having a degree. And yes hands on experience in the classroom is everything, it's where you REALLY learn to be a teacher, NOT at University!

And I certainly never lie about my "gaps" in my employment history, it just makes it hard to fill in "generic" online applications. And if I do ever get to the interview stage, I absolutely tell them I was traveling the world, if that doesn't resonate with them, that's their loss!

Möbius Strip Tease Array Anna Key's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 809 Posts

And if I do ever get to the interview stage, I absolutely tell them I was traveling the world, if that doesn't resonate with them, that's their loss!
    Well, there you go then. Problem solved.

(aka) ♂♀♪♫ Array
    vCash
    Thanks

How do I explain "Gaps" in my CV?
    I absolutely tell them I was traveling the world
    So, you answered your own question. Are there any other questions? Or was this just a way to say you have been to 35 countries?

Say "I was traveling". That's not hard.

I am in the process of applying for some International schools in Bangkok, so now I'm wandering how this will affect me?
    They will think "Gee. I wonder how long he's going to last before he feels the need to feed the poor children of Africa".

Information is bliss Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I am in the process of applying for some International schools in Bangkok,
    Most top level schools want a 5 year period where you have remained in the same school and gotten some proven results with verifiable back up to this.

Having a degree and doing a bit of casual teaching here and there will just not cut it.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

^ unless you hansum man

swing you sinners! Array Mr. Hales's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

gaps? explain what you were doing and what you learnt from it. some will take this well, others maybe not. which one would you rather work for?
    "vast and black. the thing that was poised, like a crow over the moon. round and smooth. cannon balls. things that have fallen from the sky to this earth. our slippery brains. things like cannon balls have fallen, in storms, upon this earth. like cannon balls are things that, in storms, have fallen to this earth. showers of blood. showers of blood. showers of blood. " c.f.

Falling From Grace... Array Hollow's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

the ones with the most money?
    Jesus is coming, open your mouth!

vCash
    Thanks

so now I'm wandering how this will affect me?
    You do mean 'wondering,' right?

Not sure what you are on about. It seems pretty straightforward. I agree that staying at a school for more than 5 years will look good on your CV, so you may want to curtail the world tours and get down to the business of actually teaching. By the way, I don't see how you equate traveling the world with teaching. They are completely different. Now, if you were traveling the world and taking courses, studying languages, or working, perhaps that would be a different story.

The mention of 'life experience' has left me thinking you are either a fake or someone who really has no clue.

vCash
    Thanks

You're sweating it too much, buddy.

Just fill in the application, 2004-2005 ABC School, 2007-2008 XYZ School, if you make it to the interview and they ask you about 2006, tell them that you went to Nepal. Dazzle them with what you learned there.

Or, follow my earlier advice: 2006, self-employed language instructor.

Established User Array wildbill's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Top employers will be a very concerned by lots of gaps as they would no doubt think that you will get itchy feet again after less than a year in the job and do one. Just deal with the here and now and try to convince them that you are ready to settle down and use your experience to make a good name for their school etc etc.... A good personal statement may just do the trick.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast