--> International House - Bangkok
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

Thread: Top Tier International Schools & Teaching Qualifications obtained in Bangkok

mai
    New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

PGCE international

Think about the name ... PGCE international

Not PGCE English (11-16)
    Not PGCE Geography (11-16)
    etc etc

Its just a general, non-subject specific 'qualification'.
    Zero subject teaching methodology.
    Just the general EPS (Educational and Professional studies) short 'dissertation style' reports, which anyone who did a UK PGCE would tell you they are just a pain in the ass (and did not make them better teachers) - when time is better spent lesson planning.

Example of such a report - write a 5000 word essay on whether you consider XXXX's approach to teaching dyslexic children in the 1960's is applicable today.
    I consider this Masters research nonsense...not aiding effective classroom teaching.

Maybe most of the people doing these online courses have already wangled there way into these mid/top schools and there is now pressure from management for the teachers to get some sort of PGCE certificate.
    I can't imagine a school (with former UK teachers in the management team who know what a PGCE really means) accepting a PGCE international over a UK PGCE.

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

*their

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mai View Post
    Maybe most of the people doing these online courses have already wangled there way into these mid/top schools and there is now pressure from management for the teachers to get some sort of PGCE certificate.
    I don't know. Imagine a teacher quits a school on the spot, meaning the class has to be covered by Thai teachers, leading to angry parents who demand the problem to be sorted asap.
    Jonny TEFL turns up at the right time and is able to start straight away. Interview goes well, the guy obviously knows what he's doing and knows how to talk to and deal with kids - only problem is that he doesn't have a piece of paper saying he's a certified teacher.

Would parents be satisfied with 'Jonny TEFL, PGCE (in progress)' - If they met him, and he was presented well, talked the talk, smiled and made their kid laugh - of course they would.

It's not an effective form of recruitment IMO, but parent power is pretty strong in international schools, and I'm sure it's happened more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by mai View Post
    I can't imagine a school (with former UK teachers in the management team who know what a PGCE really means) accepting a PGCE international over a UK PGCE
    I agree, although you'd be hard pressed to find a UK qualified teacher who can start straight away.

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by crito View Post
    I'm new to this forum and I do not teach in Thailand. But I just wanted to clarify the blatant misinformation that some posters are passing off as truth regarding the Sunderland PGCE. I am currently completing this program and it is almost as challenging as my MEd. that I have from a global top twenty university. It is intensive and challenging and there is no way you can complete this program without becoming a better and more qualified teacher in the process. There are two 7 week practicums that are done in person. (not online as someone here alluded to) I am constantly observed by my mentor (who happens to be finishing her PHD and is a former principal from England) and given constructive feedback. There is no difference between my practicums and the ones that are done in England. I have to show plenty of evidence for each required teaching standard before I am granted my PGCE, just like a teacher in England would have to do. The online component of my degree are all the theoretical subjects and even with this there are online communities for discussion among students much like would be happening in an actual classroom. In the Chinese city where I live there are maybe twenty of us that are currently doing the course and we meet often with the administrator of the program for that city. Furthermore individuals from Sunderland University will be visiting us in spring to ensure that we have meet all requirements and standards. This program is very legitimate, useful and respected. Many of the students that are taking this course work for tier one schools and these schools have encouraged them to takes this course. Although I can't speak for Thailand I can tell you that in China this program is respected in the international school circuit. I cannot see any reason why it would be different in Thailand.
    It is different in Thailand because there's not enough people doing it here to make it feasible for Sunderland Uni to send a mentor over (Third hand information - from a friend who works with someone who did it last year, and incidentally, can't find a job).
    You know what really chaps my ass though?

I spent my life savings turning my van into a dog.
    The alarm alone cost me two hundred.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Mai

It is interesting that you mention the only "Masters" type paper that this program requires while ignoring the two courses entitled Education Theory 1 and 2 that require students to definitively show their understanding of teaching methodology specifically for literacy and numeracy subjects. I agree that these Masters type papers do not compare to actual lesson plans. I think Sunderland agrees with you as well because in the Teacher File that I am required to keep and that is gone through with a fine comb I have no less than 100 lesson plans per practicum. These lesson plans have to meet very specific guidelines, the same guidelines that Sunderland students on campus follow. In fact there is virtually no difference between the courses that the on campus Sunderland students do and that I do in so much as we even watch the same lectures. I guess by your reasoning their PGCE must be pretty useless. Except that I am sure there are many students who have graduated from Sunderland who are currently teaching in the school system of England. If you have a legitimate problem with this program then please share with me how you think it differs from your own on campus PGCE program that you did, I would really like to understand why you think this program is so inferior based on the little (mis)information you have about it.

Cawphad
    As I said before I can't really speak to the situation in Thailand but my mentor wasn't sent from abroad, she works at my school. I am lucky in that I happened to have a great mentor working for me. The type of mentor you have is dependent on the school you do your practicum at, much like it would be if you did it in England. I think what your friend is referring to is the team from Sunderland who comes out to audit the program and ensure that it is being run well and that the students are progressing as expected. It is unfortunate that they do not visit Thailand however if more people start doing the course I am sure hey will start to visit. I think in that situation the best suggestion is to ensure that you get to do your practicum at a goo and progressive school under the mentorship of an experienced teacher with lots to teach and offer.

About your friend of a friend who is having a hard time finding a job with his new qualification, one thing I have learned over the years are that qualifications can only take someone so far. I hope he has better luck for the next school year.

You raised some really good points regarding how a teacher might get hired by an international school and find their way to this program. However I was hired not for my interest in this program as I already had an M.Ed. and many years of teaching experience at international schools. So it isn't always the case.

Calibrate

I think we have a much larger group of students taking it here in China hence the meetings. Glad to hear that you are being challenged by it. Ignore those naysayers as I am sure it will lead to a great job in the future for you. Good Luck with it.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crito View Post
    the Teacher File that I am required to keep and that is gone through with a fine comb
    You're lucky, I didn't get that on my PGCE course. The only part of my file that they checked was the sheets of paper with signatures for the 32 QTS standards. Sounds like you get more support in China than I did in the UK.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Mai, perhaps you are thinking of the Nottingham "PGCE International" version, where (I believe) there is no practicum?

This Sunderland "PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Centred Based or Distance Learning)" -

PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Centred Based or Distance Learning) - University of Sunderland

- is, as far as I know, the same course as a UK PGCE minus the QTS at the end. IE students actually in Sunderland doing the course who end up with a normal UK PGCE do the same modules and work, including theory and practice, as we do overseas, except they get snow and fish n chips.

I had to choose a subject and an age group when I applied.

Have a look at the site, and let us know how it differs if I am wrong.

Either way, it ought not to be sniffed at in the uninformed way you're doing.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213