International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pgce in UK or Graduate Diploma in Education from Australia?

vCash
    Thanks

Pgce in UK or Graduate Diploma in Education from Australia?

So I've made up my mind to leave Korea next year and am 90% set on doing a Pgce in England. Three years ago I had been all set to do it, but decided to stay in Korea and continue being a money whore instead.

Anyway, unlike a lot of others I don't hate Korea and on the whole my time here has been good. A couple of months back, every little thing the locals would do was pissing me off but glad to say the hard feelings have passed........and I'm ok with Koreans again (sure they love me as well ).

As mentioned, I am 90% set on doing a Pgce in England.......however I am also giving a little consideration to doing a Grad Dip in Education in Australia.

Let me be clear, my goal is get certified in the UK or OZ and then work for 3-4 years there before hopefully returning to a nice international school job in Bangkok.

So far I think some of the pros and cons of studying/teaching/living in the UK V Aus are as follows;

Australia's Pros: (1) A new experience for me after living in Thailand, Korea, Ireland, England.
    (2) Climate
    (3) A couple of wife's close friends and two of her cousins live there
    (4) Nearer to Thailand so easier and cheaper to visit
    (5) Doesn't sound nearly as grim as moving to England for 4-5 years. Hopefully a nicer lifestyle.

Australia's Cons: (1) It's full of Australians (just kidding, sort of )
    (2) Not working with the British curriculum

As for doing a Pgce in the UK;

UK's Pros: (1) Pgce at the right uni is a great course, experience and qualification.
    (2) Working with British curriculum
    (3) Lots of British International Schools in Bangkok
    (4) Shortage of male teachers at primary level
    (5) Will be living much nearer my friends and family

UK's Cons: (1) Tuition fees have just tripled (starting in 2012)
    (2) *Can* be a very grim place at times
    (3) Paperwork, red tape and general bureaucracy coming out of your asshole

Anyway, to sum up; I wanna get certified and do 3-4 years teaching in a western country before hopefully returning to an international school in Bangkok.

What I'd really like to know is;

Grad Dip in Education and 3-4 years teaching experience in Australia V Pgce and 3-4 years teaching experience in the UK. Would there be much of a difference when it comes to trying to land a good international school job back in Bangkok?

Any info/ideas/experiences would be much appreciated. Serious replies only please. Thanks!
    Last edited by My_Kow_Lope; 20th February 2011 at 20:58.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by My_Kow_Lope View Post
    UK's Cons: (1) Tuition fees have just tripled (starting in 2012)
    Worse than that, I'm afraid, MKL, Primary PGCE bursaries have been withdrawn as of Sept 2011 - PGCE in the UK is now a very expensive option unless you teach a shortage subject. Sorry that you didn't do it after all 3 years ago.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paully View Post
    Worse than that, I'm afraid, MKL, Primary PGCE bursaries have been withdrawn as of Sept 2011 - PGCE in the UK is now a very expensive option unless you teach a shortage subject. Sorry that you didn't do it after all 3 years ago.
    Cheers for that Paully.

(1)Reading all of the above, which option would you be leaning towards?

(2) What do you think about this..................Grad Dip in Education and 3-4 years teaching experience in Australia V Pgce and 3-4 years teaching experience in the UK. Would there be much of a difference when it comes to trying to land a good international school job back in Bangkok?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Will you be able to get a teaching job in Aus right after studying there, or will you have to come back to Thailand or the UK and jump through the hoops of getting an Aus settlement visa plus work permit?

vCash
    Thanks

Just in the process of checking things out as I'll be in Korea for another 18 months. There may in fact be too many hoops for me to study and work in Oz......but if it was doable, where would you head?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

If it was doable, I'd probably try Aus. However, not sure about the salaries for newly-qualified teachers there and I'd certainly avoid getting a job in or near the most expensive parts to live. You want it to be a fun experience, not a struggle.

vCash
    Thanks

Yeah....all things being equal I would head to Australia. Doing a Primary Pgce in England makes grim reading........with the huge hike in fees and as you mentioned no bursary.

Anyway.....I've got 3/4 semesters left at my uni here in Korea and am still saving well each month. However the missus and I want to be back in Thailand in the next 5-6 years and we don't want to stay in Korea for too much longer.

As mentioned, the long term plan is to hopefully go back and live long term in Thailand. Besides the UK/Australia, what other options would you look at bearing in mind I am looking to get certified and gain the necessary minimum 3-4 years of home country experience needed?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by My_Kow_Lope View Post
    Besides the UK/Australia, what other options would you look at bearing in mind I am looking to get certified and gain the necessary minimum 3-4 years of home country experience needed?
    I'm not sure there are any if you want 'western' post-certificate/diploma teaching experience.

vCash
    Thanks

I'll be giving up 5.5 months of paid vacation each year and current savings of a few hundred quid each week. Am I nuts?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

MKL
    I doubt having an Grad dip from Aus would hurt your chances getting a International school gig, the 2-3 years experience after is key. Living here is expensive now so you might want to avoid the big places like Syd/Mel/Bris. There is work around afterward though, and the further away from the big centres you are the more work there is.
    A big Thai community here for the Mrs (I'm assuming).

---Update---

Not sure If you've come across this Deakin are offering a accelerated Grad Dip which starts in Nov and finishes June next year..Course search
    Papa was a rodeo - Mama was a rock'n'roll band
    I could play guitar and rope a steer before I learned to stand

vCash
    Thanks

markle,

Thanks for the good advice. I'll be moving with the missus, she already has some friends/relatives living there so I'm sure with them and through them she won't take long to settle in and get to know people.

Will check out the link, cheers.

vCash
    Thanks

Anyone know what the job prospects are for graduates of the Grad Dip in Education (Aus) at primary level?

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Never heard of anyone with that qualification working in Brit Internationals. The only Australians I know that are currently within Brit schools are those with previous experience of the UK curriculum.

For sure there are a lot more Brit schools than Aussie ones. (Internationals that is)

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

^interesting.
    What am I to make of the regular recruitment drives here for teachers to teach in the UK?
    MKL That might be a way, get the certification here then do the experience part in the UK.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lost View Post
    Never heard of anyone with that qualification working in Brit Internationals. The only Australians I know that are currently within Brit schools are those with previous experience of the UK curriculum.

For sure there are a lot more Brit schools than Aussie ones. (Internationals that is)
    Thanks for that Lost. Are you currently at an International School? If this is indeed the case, then I'll have to do it in England.

Quote Originally Posted by markle View Post
    ^interesting.
    What am I to make of the regular recruitment drives here for teachers to teach in the UK?
    MKL That might be a way, get the certification here then do the experience part in the UK.
    Good advice again and definitely worth considering as would love to live in Aus for a year. With the huge hike in British tuition fees, home fees in the UK will be pretty much on a par with international fees in Aus.

Is it tough to get a decent gig for a newly ceritified primary school teacher in Aus?
    Last edited by My_Kow_Lope; 22nd February 2011 at 10:13.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast