--> International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Being forced from a job I love...

vCash
    Thanks

Icon9 Being forced from a job I love...

I write this with a heavy heart...

Two years ago I secured a position of I.E.P Teacher through another board member, Tropic of Cancer. The school was 20 minutes from my home, small class sizes and a not-so-bad contract...

When I started, there were four other foreign teachers, 3 Phillapine women and 1 African woman. The Phillapine teachers (two of them sisters) helped start the I.E.P about 7 years ago, so they thought they were in charge. For what ever reason, they had fallen out with the African teacher and used to argue with her constantly. Saying bad things about her like *African people were all like that* After the first semester ended, the African teacher decided to quit, the main factor being the the Phillapine teachers.

The school asked me if I knew a replacement teacher and I did, so my friend started work here. All was well for 6 months.

At the end of year we had a summer camp and there were some scheduling issues and problems, one of the Phillapines decided to get angry at me about this and then decided to call all -out -war....The other two joined in also.

For the whole of the next school year they gossiped about me, blatantly ignored me in classes and activities with students and parents, caused other Thai colleagues who were once friends to ignore me also....It really has been a year of hell. I went to the deputy pricipal about these matters but in usual Thai style, heads were buried in the sand. I can not go to the Principal as she loves the Phillipines dearly and won't have a word said against them. My friend who I spoke of, has tried to mediate but to no avail.....They have not given up until I had to go....

A month ago I went to see the deputy principal again about the problems and my future at the school. She said she now believes it's not going to stop and that it would be better if I left. So after anouncing I was leaving, I have had the support of many, many parents who don't want me to leave. Only in February, our school entered 4 of our I.E.P students in an English competition at The Impact Arena, against some big name schools. All 4 of them won medals in their different catergories. 1 gold, 2 Silver and a bronze. What ever we are doing now, we are doing it well. Like I said before, I now have a heavy heart....

I have now learned, not only were they the reason for my departure, the African teachers, but also maybe two others before me! Sometimes in life things are not fair....

I know you may be thinking, there must be more to it than this. I have tried to keep it brief but also, I have been truthful. The school have given me a fantastic reference for two years service and there are some who are quite angry about the situation.

These 3 women have caused me nothing but misery for the last year and now I have to leave a school, whose students I truly love and will miss dearly....I have never left a job under circumstances like these. I never thought I would either.

So now it's back to looking for a new job....Anyone know of a good school???????????

RH.
    Last edited by Robin Hood; 7th March 2011 at 14:14. Reason: Dusty's Rusty Nuts!
    What to find second-hand bar furniture? Find staff for your restaurant? Find out who supplies Guinness in Thailand? Join
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A facebook group where you can ask questions about the bar/pub/restaurant industry in Thailand.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    I write this with a heavy heart...
    Really sorry to hear, RH.

Anyone know of a good school?
    PM sent.

vCash
    Thanks

So now it's back to looking for a new job....Anyone know of a good school???????????
    no, but I know one not too far away from your neck of the woods.

vCash
    Thanks

I know many also....any jobs, any leads, any names?....Could be a full-English in it for ya.....

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Im in similar situatin, me and the PE teacher. Saw our jobs in Ajarn today - Thais wont inform us and the fillipinos are happy. But, we ll make sure we get what is owed to us.

Just for clarification: where you asked to leave or did you resign? And if you resigned, did you give them a resignation letter?

vCash
    Thanks

A bit of both really....

The deputy principal suggested that the Phillipines won't give up and they have been there a very long time....So it's better if I go. I agree with this, I have the backing of a lot of people but I know I can not continue working there, it has just gone too far...I will miss the children very much but for my own well-being I should leave.

vCash
    Thanks

Not being flippant, but since presumably you are an English teacher, and this topic has been ongoing at your workplace for some time...

Filipina n. A Filipino woman or girl.
    Filipinas - definition of Filipinas by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille View Post
    Not being flippant, but since presumably you are an English teacher, and this topic has been ongoing at your workplace for some time...

Filipinas - definition of Filipinas by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    I genuinely know...But can't be arsed with it...sorry...My bad.

vCash
    Thanks

Sorry about your situation - good luck with the move.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille View Post
    Not being flippant

It seems like many people have problems when working with people from the Philippines.

vCash
    Thanks

In my last school they were fine, I still see them to this day...Just at this school I'm afraid...

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I have worked with many filipinos (correct my spelling if you dare Cyrille!) over the years. There are good and bad of course, but I have found the ladies to be two faced and gossipy. I have yet to be pushed out of a job by them, but they can be very bitchy and they do stick together. They ingratiate themselves to the Thais shamelessly! I tend to politely ignore them now.

The fellas seem much better.

It is a fact of life here unfortunately that just being a good teacher is not relevant, it seems.

Chastened but undefeated is the spirit now. Good luck!

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

The deputy principal suggested that the Phillipines won't give up and they have been there a very long time....So it's better if I go.
    Sorry to hear of situation Robin.

That above quote pretty well outlines where you stand.

Good luck and hope you find something to your liking.
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

Möbius Strip Tease Array Anna Key's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,088 Times in 721 Posts

That breakfast looks good.
    "Take this, brother; may it serve you well."

Pretty Like Girl Array WilliamBlake's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Could be a full-English in it for ya.....
    More enticing than a full Brazilian anyway...
    This space for rent.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast