International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bangkok CELTA and that new school

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Bangkok CELTA and that new school

Hello Bangkok CELTA experts,
    My University in Seoul wants me to get CELTA certified this February. I said fine, I'll do it in Bangkok. I lived in Bangkok for 3 years and miss some things dearly. I never taught English before, my degree is in Engineering; so the CELTA sounds worthwhile for me in my new career.
    As I look over the threads here, I see a lot about ECC and Elite CELTA degrees, with most votes going to ECC. But there is a prominent banner ad here for International House. Can anyone recommend / compare their CELTA program to ECC? I like the location better on Silom anyway; but Siam square's not bad either.
    Actually my Korean boss wants me to get the CELTA at the British Council here in Seoul. Before I left Bangkok, I checked at the Siam Square British Council and they seemed pretty clueless about what a CELTA degree was. So, British Council Bangkok doesn't offer CELTA; is that right? Any comparison between ECC (or IH) and a British Council program? I need to 'sell' this Bangkok CELTA idea to my Korean boss.
    Weather is turning chilly now in Seoul. It's jacket weather and the leaves are starting to change color. And no need to worry about the terrible winters because the schools here are out from Dec 15 to Feb 28 and Jun 15 to Aug 30. I'll spend that time in BKK!
    Thanks,
    Drew

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

This will be the first CELTA program that IH Bangkok has run.
    Not fair to call it a 'new school' though. It's been in business in Bangkok at least four years that I know of
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

vCash
    Thanks

IH has branches worldwide, so it's fair to say they'll probably be as good as any on here...I pondered the IH CELTA in London when I was deciding where to do mine, but I ended up doing mine in Nottingham...with our local college
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

vCash
    Thanks

IH started in London over 50 years ago - but the overseas operations are all franchises. The IH brand is supposed to mean quality, though: IH has taken away the franchise from a few overseas operations because they didn't meet its standards.

Similarly, Cambridge monitors the standards of CELTA courses very closely. Every CELTA course has external monitors who check that it's being run to standard.

In short: all CELTAs should be equal, but IH has a little extra prestige.

vCash
    Thanks

Mine Sweeper Champion!
    I did my CELTA at international house in London and it was excellent, the standard as Oswulf says should be the same, it's a reputable organisation and the instructors I had were all top notch as I am sure they will be in Bangkok as well.
    Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    IH is a 'name' in the teacher training - everyone knows it, it spells quality
    I'm sure IH schools that offer formal teacher training are quite good. To say, though, that IH means quality is wrong. Anyone can open a school and pay a few thousand pound a year to London HQ to get the IH badge. Then, it's an inspection every three years and, unless you're a pile of old pants, you'll remain an IH.

Some IH schools in continental Europe suck the big one, and anyone who's worked at one in KL will confirm what a bag of sh1te it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

. Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I've heard nothing but good things about their training programmes, as well.

There's a big difference between a training programme, usually run a few times a year for Westerners paying a fair bit of cash, and an EFL programme, usually run continually throughout the year for non-Westerners paying rather significantly less. It may not be right, but it's none too surprising.
    - Reg

vCash
    Thanks

Anyone can open a school and pay a few thousand pound a year to London HQ to get the IH badge.
    true enough. i had a few meetings wih the head of i.h. in the west of england this year in the uk. even he admitted that i.h. wasn't strict enough when it came to granting licenses to foreign franchisees and evaluating ones with a license.

he knew nothing about the bangkok i.h. and admitted that once you paid the license money you were pretty much left alone to do what you wanted.

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"

vCash
    Thanks

he knew nothing about the bangkok i.h. and admitted that once you paid the license money you were pretty much left alone to do what you wanted.
    I know Danny, the guy who runs/part owns the IH Bangkok franchise, very well. Keeping the international standards of IH is always very high on his agenda. He hates the thought of ever becoming 'just another Bangkok language school'
    Whenever I chat to him, I never fail to leave feeling mighty impressed with his visions and his ways of doing things.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.
    IH sounds like they can certainly handle a CELTA course. I wonder what their first CELTA course ever will be like though.
    Do you think IH will bring in some experienced trainers from other IH operations for this first CELTA course? If it is all new trainers, all just starting on the learning curve, it could be less effective / organized. I know I teach a class much better the second time than the first. Do you think they will have some experienced guys?
    Thanks,
    Drew

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

You'd think they would mate, why not ask them???

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
    I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic

Senior Member Array champagne charlie's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Can't be worse than ECC I'd image.

vCash
    Thanks

I know Danny...
    thats all good phil, i'm certainly not going to make any assumptions with my limited knowledge. seems then that i.h. u.k. should outreach a little more to their foreign franchises, unite their team a little more so everyone is connected.

vCash
    Thanks

Do you think IH will bring in some experienced trainers from other IH operations for this first CELTA course? If it is all new trainers, all just starting on the learning curve, it could be less effective / organized
    They are bringing in a trainer / trainers from abroad - at considerable expense I might add.

http://www.ihbangkok.com/the_trainers.html

It's all on the website mate. That's what websites are for.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

It all looks good. Says they are bringing in two expert trainers from Oxford England. Count me in! See you in Jan.
    Drew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast