--> International House - Bangkok

Thread: A couple of questions Re:PGCE and International Schools in Bkk

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Iwasthinking A couple of questions Re:PGCE and International Schools in Bkk

Hello everyone,

I have read this forum for a few years now and have found it to be a brilliant source of info.

I am looking for some advice from the international school teachers and the folk that know how things work around here.

I have taught out here for 2 years in a bilingual school and loved every minute of it.

The plan is for me to go home to the UK and take a PGCE in modern languages (Italian and French) starting Sept 2012 Then get my 2 years experience teaching a Uk curriculum and get back out here. I aim to get into one of the top tier international schools but I am a worried that I will be too subject specific.

My other option is to do a PGCE in primary school education which will not be possible until Sept 2013. I've not taught the young 'uns previously but I believe it would be a lot easier for me to get into one of these schools Harrow, ISB, Patana etc.

Both options will take 3 or 4 years and it is quite a commitment (I'll miss my SomTam) but this is what I want to do for the next 20 years or so. If anyone has any advice or ideas on this I would really like to hear your thoughts.

Finally I figured if I am this long in the UK I can go ahead and get some FIFA badges for coaching football , would this make me any more attractive to the schools I'm aiming for.

Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help ,

Ernie.

vCash
    Thanks

I did exactly what you're planning. I went home in 2006 after four years in Thailand, and got qualified in primary education. If you're dead set on one of the schools you named above then I would check that they actually teach French and Italian. I think you are right when you say that they may be too subject specific. It could work both ways though. From my reading of it, and having just gone through the whole process of applying for jobs, there are roughly 100 applications for every primary post advertised. While there may be less MFL jobs, there are less MFL teachers.

Your plan to get coaching badges is a good one, it is something I wish I had done. You need to make sure your cv stands out from the crowd and extra-curricular activities are a big thing in the international schools. Competition to get into Harrow, ISB and Bangkok Patana is fierce, and two years post qualification experience is the absolute minimum.

One other thing i'd do if I was you would be to start to collate a teaching portfolio as soon as you start your PGCE. Put in examples of lesson plans and children's work, photos of displays and happy smiling children. There are some good articles on the TES website about this. I'd also keep any nice thank you letters you get from parents or pupils.

The whole thing has worked out well for me though. I heading back to thailand in four weeks, start my new job in August.
    Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LucidLucifer For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ernesthemingway View Post
    Both options will take 3 or 4 years and it is quite a commitment (I'll miss my SomTam) but this is what I want to do for the next 20 years or so. If anyone has any advice or ideas on this I would really like to hear your thoughts.
    You're thinking, and planning, in the right way, ernie, IMHO. Take the long view rather than, 'any int. school job as long as it gets me out of the UK quickly'.

Quote Originally Posted by LucidLucifer View Post
    While there may be less MFL jobs, there are less MFL teachers.

I heading back to thailand in four weeks, start my new job in August.
    That's an excellent point, lucid. Ernie has to play to his strengths. Hope your new job works out well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to paully For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LucidLucifer View Post
    The whole thing has worked out well for me though. I heading back to thailand in four weeks, start my new job in August.
    Solid advice.

Good luck and by then, welcome back to Thailand.