Hello all, so I got a job teaching at a government school (within 6 days of arriving in Thailand), and it is alright. I have been teaching there for about two and a half weeks, but now another school is requesting an interview. It is possible that this school will allow me to teach the subject I would truly like to teach (Science), and put me closer to my good thai friend and her family. I am wondering...is it worth it to even go to the interview? I feel I would like this other job better, and I don't think my Non-imm B or Work Visa has been processed yet. IF I got the other job, would I need to give notice? (this may come into play if the other place wanted me to start immediately). I may be over-complicating things and might should just stay at my current school, but I truly would prefer to teach Science, as it would allow me to at least keep up with the subject I plan to go to Grad. school for. Ehh...any advice/opinions are welcome.
whats your gut telling you ?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Have you signed a contract? Is there a period of probation?
I know recruiters who won't employ someone who is willing to 'jump ship'.
Hmm, though I don't remember anything too virulent in the contract (as far as leaving), that wasn't necessarily on my mind at the time, so I will need to take another look at it. And....I certainly wouldn't want to smear my reputation within weeks of being in Thailand...I will have to think this over some...I guess I know why it is that people say "don't take the first job you're offered" now. It isn't that I hate my current job--it would have just been nicer if I had allowed myself more time to decide.
It's risky business. Walking away from your school like that ain't cool.
Well as fred said above...the only real mistake you can make in this situation is to take the advice of others...
I know you know what you should do, but you've come here to see if you can be persuaded to take the course of action that you believe is wrong(according to your own moral compass)...you thought that if enough people told you that the wrong thing wasn't so wrong that you could then proceed with a clear conscience...
That's a mistake that many of us make and it leads to all sorts of unpleasantness...
Trust yourself and go with your first thought...regardless...you can't go wrong doing that...
"You really want to save the planet?...the next time you see a hybrid car with a childseat... smash the window, remove the childseat and replace it with a box of condoms..." Doug Stanhope
If I interviewed and hired a teacher and he quit on me like that, I'd get sneaky and nasty real quick and fuck his shit up.
BL, you can't tell someone you'll do something and then back out without causing some bad juju.
But if its legal then you are a free to do as you choose.
Nobody benefits if you spend the next year being miserable because to decided to honor a bad decision.
take it as a lesson and next time listen to elvis, and don't rush in.
you probably should check on visa laws and procedure and figger out what status your visa is in before making any decision.
If you do NOT have your non-b yet then you are free to jump ship (not cool but nothing they can (legally) do to you - a court will not force you to apply for a visa and you can't legally work without one - the contract would be voidable since you can't contract to break the law.)
IF there is no contract then do what you feel is right - just remember that karma always works out in the end.
Also remember that even though the grass LOOKS greener on the other side of the fence there may be things you don't see that jump out and bite you.
u can do whatever u want even if they have made the WP and the Visa you can go the immigration and labor office and change the names for about 3000 baht. My issue is that u wouldn't be the first one to do that and after a lot of teachers come to this site and whine about their schools but how can schools trust farangs when they just change schools after a few weeks and don't honor their engagement.
Hmm, you've given me some good food for thought. Not sure what I've been thinking--I would never just quit something back home--especially when people are relying on me, so I shouldn't here either. My students are counting on me after all! Well, thanks everyone for the advice.