International House - Bangkok
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TeflWatch.Org

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

A site like this only puts on the internet what the teachers are already telling anyone who will listen in any place teachers hangout. If the guy next to you in the bar is bad mouthing a school and you don't care to listen to his drivel, you can walk away. Same thing for an internet site.
    Are you actually reading this? Do you think I care?

vCash
    Thanks

I agree, I think that the onus is with the posters on how they approach it. Posters who launch a tirade (usually poorly written drivel) against a school and then refuse to hear any other opinions about it (as so often is the case), shouldn't expect to be taken seriously by readers or the school in question!

A well contructed argument that allows one to make one's own judgement and allows (even encourages) a right of reply is far more valuable for readers. I hope (by having admin present the criticisms) that TEFLwatch can achieve this line of discussion in the public rooms. Any schools then visiting the site, will hopefully see the nature of the forum and be less likely to dismiss poor reports.
    Excuse me for not taking this seriously .....

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watdog
    enjoy, upon your return from sunday school please respond: suppose, inspite of your professionalism and respect you were treated badly, stolen from and/or repeatedly lied to by an employer? how would you handle this and might you consider a site such as teflwatch.org helpful in this circumstance? it is good that you are not in this situation but your virtue/virginity in no way reflect the whole of the tefl world in thai.

As I pointed out in my previous post, I believe it's called a life's lesson, live and learn. If you are abused, in any way shape or form, by a school treat it as a Life’s Lesson. These can happen anywhere, not only can they be at your place of work but it can involve your family or friends, whoever, wherever.
    I believe like attracts like and what goes around comes around. It's my belief that we basically create our own mess and therefore we should deal with it instead of bleating on about it and holding grudges. Learn from your mistakes and move on. The choices you make, as to who you work for and what you do, are all your own, there’s nobody to blame except yourself. If you want to point the finger point it at yourself. People who cannot accept this will continue to create mess in their lives until they learn their lesson.

It’s not by chance that the other attempts failed. Your intentions might be to warn others of potential pitfalls in life but in reality they will find them anyway.
    So what’s the point of such a site? There isn’t one.

So beware. If you feel the need to administer poison then I have no doubt that you will be swallowing your fair share in the future.

And finally Watdog, you’re the sort of person obviously cannot take another’s view point and give it any sort of respect. You sound as though you have had some bitter experiences from schools and obviously cannot find fault with yourself. You seem the type who argues for the sake of arguing and will never accept you are wrong, a perfect poster for teflwatch.org.
    As defender said, Posters who launch a tirade (usually poorly written drivel) against a school and then refuse to hear any other opinions about it (as so often is the case), shouldn't expect to be taken seriously by readers or the school in question. Similarly those who do the same on the Ajarn Forum should be treated in the same way.

vCash
    Thanks

i await your answer to my question

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I like much of what I read in the above post by Enjoy and it had me nodding furiously in agreement. Life is all about lessons.
    The choices you make, as to who you work for and what you do, are all your own, there’s nobody to blame except yourself
    That may be hard for a lot of people to accept, but I started to think about the positions I've held in the past - the lying, cheating owners and management, the heavy workloads that I didn't really want, the acceptance of rules that I didn't agree with. I always had the chance to walk away from it but for some misguided reason decided to stay, only to often see things go from bad to worse.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Maybe enjoy lives in another country than Thailand. Maybe he just got lucky. Countless qualified teachers come to Thailand every year and get shafted with ten and eleven month contracts. Countless farang TEFLers are lied to, much more often than employers back home would lie to them.

Every person is responsible for their own actions and reactions. However, we are not responsible for the bad things employers to do us, that we don't deserve.

Work permits. Teacher's licenses. Visas. Workloads. Materials. Information. Respect that goes beyond the wai. All of these things are often lacking in Thai TEFL.

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Yes it's a fair point and these things do happen. I'm not saying they don't. Employers do 'move the goalposts' but it's happened in most jobs I've had - not just TEFL jobs.
    Countless farang TEFLers are lied to, much more often than employers back home would lie to them.
    'Back home' (wherever home is) you usually have strict labor laws that employers and employees must adhere to. When you move to a third world country like Thailand, then those safety nets by and large disappear. That's unfortunate but it's the truth nonetheless. Survival here is tough. Very tough indeed. The comparative lack of employee protection is one of the many drawbacks to working here. But if I'd wanted to play it safe I would have stayed in England. Sometimes the challenge of it all can be quite exhilarating and you really feel a sense of achievement when you come out on top.
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I agree with both enjoy and you, bangkok Phil. I have learned a lot of lesson and when I find myself in a situation where I am dicked over, I just move on and deal with it. That is the only way to deal with it, learn from the lesson and take precautions so that it doesn't happen again.

when you look at sites where people are slagging schools, mostly the people do it out of anger. These posts are not worth much. But if someone decides to go to a site and post about their experiences and they do it not to get even but to help others learn valuable lessons then it is a good thing.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Here's and angry post of mine from 2 years ago... I taped the head of the department lying. (with her full consensus) When I played the tape to those in a higher position (Even after asking her to state that she was the person being recorded) They still refused to believe it was her!

Moved on, got a better job....

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lifesnotsobad
    Maybe enjoy lives in another country than Thailand. Maybe he just got lucky. Countless qualified teachers come to Thailand every year and get shafted with ten and eleven month contracts. Countless farang TEFLers are lied to, much more often than employers back home would lie to them.

Every person is responsible for their own actions and reactions. However, we are not responsible for the bad things employers to do us, that we don't deserve.

Work permits. Teacher's licenses. Visas. Workloads. Materials. Information. Respect that goes beyond the wai. All of these things are often lacking in Thai TEFL.
    Lived in Thailand for 4 years and I've been teaching for 2 years. In that time I've had one day off sick and I've never been late for a class.

Just how many teachers have left a school high and dry without a care for the students, have stolen contracts or privates, lied about being sick, have stolen or copied books and tapes, left after the school paid for visas and work permits etc etc etc? You see what goes around comes around. Schools get shafted too. Two wrongs don't make a right but both can be as bad as each other.

Too many teachers bring their ideals, from home, to Thailand. They just wont fit here and if you try and fit them in your going to get very frustrated. Unless you try and accept the way it is you will never find happiness here. Why do you think Thais are so accepting? There so much shite going on but most just try their best and get on with it. I've just stopped banging my head and just accepted that it's best just to get on with it.

vCash
    Thanks

Why do you think Thais are so accepting?
    Resignation, ignorance, cultural conditioning.
    Or would you like to swing on a star?

vCash
    Thanks

Mine Sweeper Champion!
    Yes it's a fair point and these things do happen. I'm not saying they don't. Employers do 'move the goalposts' but it's happened in most jobs I've had - not just TEFL jobs.
    With respect Phil, you have, according to what you have written about your past in the UK, not really been employed in what we would term a "professional" occupation (which is what teaching is supposed to be).

So I would take your definition of what is ok and what is not ok in an organization with a pinch of salt just because you seem not to have worked for any largescale organizations back home in a professional type job so perhaps you don't know what to expect (I hope that doesn't come across as being too pretentious, I don't mean it to be)

In fact labour law here is pretty tough if you know your rights and I know several teachers who have taken their employer to court and won.

Schools do misrepresent themselves, do lie about jobs, they change contracts after they have been signed, they do play some of the same sorts of tricks that disreputable teachers are accused of pulling.

Some schools do have or contribute to a "Black list" which is hardly fair practice either since it is subjective to a Thai administrator's whims and there is no come back.
    Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Why are we here? I am not saying that a western culture is better, it's just different and more educated. Yes, living here make u accept the things that 'westerners' have probably forgotten about. But lies, widespread corruption, ignorance??? Surely that's our jobs as teachers, to show / tell, educate?

Maybe i am too farang?

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus Array Umbuku's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I see the function of a site like Teflwatch or Thaischoolwatch to be one of warning all those that follow to be aware of just what lions jaw you might be sticking your head into. Forewarned is forearmed, and a good stiff forearm can end a fight before it gets too serious.
    Faith, by itself, isn't a good enough reason to believe. Instead, a belief must be defensible through reason, logic, and evidence.
    The idea that faith is somehow justified by the fact that the beliefs cannot be proven is a truly Orwellian position to adopt - not to mention intellectually and ethically dangerous.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack
    Why do you think Thais are so accepting?
    Resignation, ignorance, cultural conditioning.
    Well if you accept something then it no longer has any power over you. In other words you wont get angry, upset and shout your mouth off. It is a far better way to approach life than our so called western conditioning.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast