--> International House - Bangkok

Thread: Draft Code of Ethics for EFL/ESL/TESOL Teachers

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Draft Code of Ethics for EFL/ESL/TESOL Teachers

You might be interested in this:

"The Draft Code of Ethics for EFL/ESL/TESOL foreign language/second language teachers will be placed on-line in draft form for 6 months - during which time we invite you to send us your thoughts and any suggested changes you believe will enhance the Code."

http://www.tesol-law.com/codeofethics.php

A Guardian article on the code,
    "Ethical guidelines released for English language teachers"

http://education.guardian.co.uk/prin...114465,00.html

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I think there was a thread about this before posted by Jon???

Have a little looksee!

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
    I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic

vCash
    Thanks

Mine Sweeper Champion!
    Where's the draft code to stop schools ignoring contracts, that makes them honour promises, and promises to treat their staff fairly???
    Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

One has to wonder who is funding this venture?
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

One has to wonder why anyone bothers to put this sort of dross link onto the forum....yawn............

Established User Array t_ferguson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Where's the draft code to stop schools ignoring contracts, that makes them honour promises, and promises to treat their staff fairly???
    Indeed! It seems like it's only teachers have to be upstanding and the schools will follow?! What utopia is this?

One has to wonder who is funding this venture?
    One has to wonder why anyone bothers to put this sort of dross link onto the forum....yawn............
    One has to wonder who is going to enforce this code of ethics in a 'profession' that is rife with abuse and mismanagement.

The Tesol law draft puts an onus on teachers to give "foremost consideration" to the wellbeing of students, act with justice and fairness and "exercise authority in accordance with the law of the land".
    Sorry but...what moron put this together?

The publication of the guidelines follows a year in which the ELT industry has come under close scrutiny following the high-profile arrests and deportations of teachers in South Korea, who were found to be working illegally. The Korean government is keen to promote English language learning in its schools and seems increasingly anxious to rout out the thousands of teachers working in the country on tourist visas and without the required qualifications.
    Uh...perhaps they should concentrate on crushing the CORRPUT practices in Asian countries that allow these things to happen first.

I think many TEFL teachers would love for there to be a universal code of ethics that teachers AND employers must abide by, but what about the HIGHLY unethical businesses and schools. So basically teachers need to be well-behaved and law-abiding, but the schools still have free lisence to do whatever they damn well please.

The foreign language/second language teacher shall exercise authority in accordance with the law of the land and with evolving concepts of the students' needs and rights.
    Yet...many schools in Thailand (for example) DO NOT abide by the laws of the land (labour and otherwise). Students are seen as ways of making money and their academic progress is the last thing on a school's mind.

This code of ethics is just lip service, a way of making TEFL look like the professional industry that it isn't in order to keep TEFL companies in business in places like Korea.
    "All phenomena are approximations one way or the other between realness and unrealness." --Charles Fort