International House - Bangkok
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No longer a HOE! And proud of it.

vCash
    Thanks

...i feel for u umbuku

i've had many run-ins with Thai administrations...

"banging ur head against a brick wall" ....comes to mind

like diaw i now stay on the outside as a private consultant ....

:twogirls: ...lovely this way .......if u can

:chug: ...cheers lads
    I-never-dun-a-ting-rong-in-me-life-m8

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus Array Umbuku's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

The vessel with the pestle has the pellet with the poison.
    The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.
    :smile:
    Faith, by itself, isn't a good enough reason to believe. Instead, a belief must be defensible through reason, logic, and evidence.
    The idea that faith is somehow justified by the fact that the beliefs cannot be proven is a truly Orwellian position to adopt - not to mention intellectually and ethically dangerous.

vCash
    Thanks

I just had a drop in visit from one of the foreign teacher complainants responsible for my 'demotion'. He tried to cover his own butt and pointed fingers at a Thai administrator as the culprit. Unfortunately for him he dropped some evidence to prove his allegations that he could only have known if he was in on the source. He has asked me to fight the decision by taking it to the upper management and into court if necessary.

The Thais arenít the only snakes around.
    It's getting richer by the day and making for a good book without disguised names.

vCash
    Thanks

Perhaps wise to maintain a healthy distance from all snakes & snake-charmers.

Let them reap the benefits of what they sowed. Don't let yourself be drawn into the trap of trying to bail them out when the doodoo hits the fan, you will only go through the same cycle, but under a shorter timeframe.

Perhaps time to begin slowly looking around for a more suitable post? I wish you well.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

No longer a HOE!and proud of it

Unbuku, I see some sililarities and mostly differences in our respective situations at different places in the particular chain of bilingual schools. 1) You spent time in admin; I was on the perifery and trying to be dragged in; 2) You cooperated while I resisted; 3) you are out of administration and I am out both as "lead teacher" and, the following year, of the school, voluntarily, but with regrets as to the students, with whom I continue to have a strong bond. In my instance, I refused while, as it was put to me, I "was in training," to implement a single asinine and absurd directive to the foreign staff. Hell, after having bitched/winged about them for 4 years, how was I to make a 100% turnabout during the 5th year?!? It was during the 6th year that the only place for me was in the classroom. However, the synergy of my personal popularity among students and innovate teaching in the classroom was too much for the coordinator of the department to bear. He had to drive me out from the school. The coordinator did not respect my unwillingness to become a HOE, as he had so happily become in exchange for a hefty increase in salary, a long-term contract and near-autonomous control over the mathayom department. So now I am in the South of Thailand. Two weeks ago I was in Bangkok at the invitation of this year's graduating group for their restaurant (drunken orgy) party and saw many other grads and students during the five days in Bkk. Overall, I stayed at the school for 6 years because of the students, but the coordinator, using his position, power, status, meanness and literal madness, had made it more worth my while to leave than to stay. Said one student who left the school during Grade 11 (M5) for university. "[Name of school] is the most dangerous prison in the world." Certainly a bit of an overstatement, but not by much....I like the quote I read on one of these sites: "Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you really want to test a man's character, give him power." Abe Lincoln. That's exactly what happened to the coordinator, with whom the school is now stuck after a several years investment in him as secondary coordinator. Students and foreign staff hate him, don't respect him but the director of the school suffers from the Old World syndrome of the personality over the institution or rule of law: the director is convinced that the particular person is the ONLY person on the plant who can run the mathayom department of his precious school. Amen.

vCash
    Thanks

In Thailand change comes from within but it is slow and you HAVE to play their game. They are the arbiters of the rules and if you fight, you will lose.

"I truly love the laid back 'mai pen rai' attitude but at times I swear that if Jesus was Thai he would have risen seven days later."
    Charlie Herald, Cities of Angels 2005

I believe that "Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you really want to test a man's character, give him power." Abe Lincoln was my signature for a month or so a while back.
    :chug:

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

chain of bilingual schools

Umbuko, Amazing, that you quoted Lincoln and I hadn't recalled that it was you. It's an excellent quote which applies well to the chain of schools but especially to the one school where I taught for 6 years under the most adverse classroom conditions I'd ever experienced anywhere. As I've said, at the particular school the foreign teachers are always wrong and the students are always right. Consequently, classroom management becomes a nightmare and trying to present a lesson is like trying to drive in Iraq without a roadside bomb destroying everying you are working to try to accomplish.

vCash
    Thanks

Another poster is using the quote now. johnny danger
    Abe was a wise man but for locking the door to his theatre booth.
    I have answered your TeflWatch question.

vCash
    Thanks

Abe was a wise man but for locking the door to his theatre booth.
    Cue the old joke "But apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the show?".
    Or would you like to swing on a star?

vCash
    Thanks

Well, it finished with a bang. :smile:

vCash
    Thanks

Re: No longer a HOE! And proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbuku
    After sucking cock for two years setting up the EP at a new campus for a bilingual school chain I have been 'demoted' to just plain teacher
    again. :smile:
    I guess it is nice to stop after two years of sucking you know what .
    ลาน้องก่อน พี่จนถึงต้องจำจาก, ถึงแม้พี่จะหลงรัก ฐานะพาพราก ต้องจากจอมใจ
    ถ้าหากมั่งมี แล้วพี่จะคืนมาใหม่, ไม่ว่าจะอยู่แห่งไหน จะนานเท่าไร ยังไม่ลืมบาง...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

It is, my elbows were getting tired though I now have a decent baritone.

The new teachers are beginning to get angry over the lack of communication and inept handling of many things now. The Thai admins response is to run and hide not call a meeting and let them at least air their grievances. I think I will take diaws advice and start looking for a better nest, but take my time over it.

vCash
    Thanks

Take your time until you find something really decent... Don't be hasty - especially if there is no pressure on you...

If you don't eventually move on, the Thais will suddenly realise that they have screwed up & dump the whole shambles back in your lap & expect you to work miracles - without any power... If you do somehow manage to pull off a miracle, then they will repeat the whole exercise - but with a new group of Thai middle-managers... The ongoing merry-go-round...

Life is too short to waste on idiots... Enjoy watching the circus...

Senior Member Array dongintheklong's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Today is my last day as "Head Teacher" for this outfit. I'm way beyond pleased to be leaving! Of course I was asked to do a summer camp on the 18th and of course I told them "no." What nerve!

English language schools are such a sham and I'm sick of being involved in them, especially on a 'managment' level.

the Thais will suddenly realise that they have screwed up & dump the whole shambles back in your lap & expect you to work miracles - without any power
    I expect to get a phone call once classes begin: "what do we do? where are the lesson plans? why don't we have any part-time staff? can you come in to help this weekend?"

I almost feel sorry for them!
    banging the gong...

vCash
    Thanks

Well the academic term is about to begin. The Thai admin still don't know what they are doing. They can't decide from one day to the next who is going to supervise what grade and our timetables have been changing daily. My personal favourite has to be 'no teachers meetings for this year' as then there will be no problems from the foreign teachers.
    Also we will have to use exams from our parent school for all subjects. We will get the exams about one week before the students have to take them. So, a foreign teacher in another school that has targeted different vocabulary and grammar will write the exams for our students.

To be fair to our admin these are not their ideas and have come down from the ex karaoke singing, minor TV personality that is the director of our school.

They started out by offering me an 8 class a week timetable. Like I wouldn't deduce what the other 16 periods of required work would be. I went and spoke with the principal and told her that I would be happy to help hand over the administration procedures from last year but I am now a teacher and I want to just teach. This annoyed one of the assistant principals as I broke the chain of command and exposed her fears of not being up to the job. I will have to watch my back around that one during this year.

Several of the old hand hands have already resigned and left, several more are looking for better employment and will leave during the first semester. The new teachers have mostly come directly from overseas and many have been lied to about conditions and documents. Some of them will no doubt be leaving too, a few already have.

All up I am feeling rested and pretty good about the forthcoming term; the hang over politics will make things interesting and may be the down side of choosing to stay. Time will tell.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast