-->

Thread: Krabi or Phuket for Xmas/New Years

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Krabi or Phuket for Xmas/New Years

Went to Phuket once for diving many years ago but only saw a little of Patong (thatís the name, I think). Obviously a pretty big place. Where are the good beaches for 5 days or so of relaxing, reading, snorkeling?
    On the other hand, Iíve transited through Krabi a couple times but have heard there are good places around there, too (not on the islands, but mainland). Anyone have recommendation of similar relaxing place there? Which place is better? Specific bungalow resort for reasonable price? Thanks much.

DP

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Krabi or Phuket for Xmas/New Years

To be honest you are a wee bit late thinking about this, a lot of the better places will be booked up by now - try Railey Beach, Krabi though.
    Our House - The Big Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Road Home - Bangkok to Surat Thani

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Southern Oil Palm and Rubber Plantations:

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

yup, i know i'm late. I'll check Railey beach though, just in case the recent turmoil has slowed bookings.

vCash
    Thanks

Z-man and Aging One have mentioned resorts on Railey in the past, maybe do a search on here and see what comes up. Good luck.

vCash
    Thanks

I don't think you're too late. I mean, there are virtually no tourists here at the moment (I'm in Bangkok), and I don't think Phuket or Krabi will be too crowded considering the airport closure ordeal.

I really liked Jinny's Guesthouse in Patong. It's not on the main road, and you'll have to rent a bike, but it's cheap, immaculately clean and very nice. The owners actually like English teachers and helped me out tremendously when I was living there. I think high season rates were 1500 baht a night, although you might be able to cut a deal.

I love the beaches in Phuket. Nai Harn is the cleanest one, but it has really strong currents. Patong beach can be missed. Kata, Kata Noi and Karon are also very nice. Book a boat if you want to go snorkeling or diving, price is negotiable. There is also supposed to be snorkeling off the main beaches, but I never found it.

vCash
    Thanks

DP - What is the price range are you willing to pay for the bungalow? Railay is pretty nice but its heavily booked during high season.

Try Railay Garden View resort its around 1300 per night and it's new. One of friends is along stayer and been there since September.

Railay Garden View Resort - Railay Beach Hotels Thailand

For the beaches you have choices like Ao nang beach, Pranang beach, Railay west, Poda Island, Chicken island, Tub Island and great snorkelling spots I've been to on Koh Sii ( Island #4) and Koh Haa (Island #5) and I saw peoples was diving there as well.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Well, Iíve procrastinated even more. One reason is Iím just hesitant to part with some of the dough Iíve fortunately been able to save in the last few months, and also, itís seems hard to know for sure a particular hotel will be a good value. One really important thing for me is lack of noise. ďMusicĒ that goes Ďboom, boomí for example drives me up the wall.

I guess Iím focusing on Krabi area, and Railay beach or close by. Surprisingly, Air Asia still seems to have flights on the days I want. AsiaRooms.com, however, no longer shows Ďinstant reservationí possible for any of the 3 hotels they represent at Railay beach. (They have some other feature, I think called Ďrequest,í but of course I canít depend on that.) For future reference though, Iím wondering if any of you have stayed at the Sand Sea resort. The price is reasonable for their cheap room (I think around B1500), and several of the comments are good; but a few are not (obnoxious guests at the pool, bed bugs...).
    Thanks, Sissy, for recommending Railay Garden View. It looks real basic, which might be OK. How far from the beach? They have food? Good? Any noise there? Many mosquitos? I guess itís not far to other resorts which have a little fancier restaurants?
    Apparently Ao Nang beach is close to Railay, and if I wanted I could take a boat over to Railay or other snorkeling spots, etc. during the day.
    Asia Rooms does show several openings on Ao Nang. Anyone know of a decent, reasonable place on Ao Nang (or other close beach)?
    Thx, DP

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    One really important thing for me is lack of noise. “Music” that goes ‘boom, boom’ for example drives me up the wall.
    There's alot of that shit in Phuket. If you want peace and quiet, Patong is the last place you want to go. If you want to go to Phuket, go to Bang Tao / Surin Beach area. Take a ride to Laguna and you'll enjoy a huge private resort with 5 hotels, lots of greenery, elephants and great beaches that are very private.

I would also highly reccomend Nai Thon Beach for a day. It's north from Bang Tao. One of my favourite beaches in all of Thailand.

Moving on Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Asia Rooms does show several openings on Ao Nang. Anyone know of a decent, reasonable place on Ao Nang (or other close beach)?
    Thx, DP
    Ao Nang beach has tons of hotels and guesthouses on one long stretch. The beach isn't overly special on Ao Nang, but you could take a boat to Railay (ten mins), and stay there for a few nights, or hang out on the beach (rock climb). There are also boats to Koh Phi Phi, and other islands nearby.

You could really do both if you wanted. I mean Phuket and Krabi. I took a bus to Krabi from Phuket, and it was worth it. In Phuket, Bangtao beach as Nat suggested, is really private with one of the longest beaches. The good thing about Phuket is you can go to many different beaches, because they are all so close. Karon is pretty quiet, and has an older persuasion. If you want quiet, miss out on Patong, and Kata even.

I stayed for a few days on Bangtao beach in these bungalows. They were very close to the beach, and they've recently renovated it since I've been there. Check it out.
    Bangtao Lagoon Bungalow, Phuket , Thailand.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phuketbound View Post
    ou could really do both if you wanted. I mean Phuket and Krabi.
    Good tips, PB.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I'm tempted to just book the flight, then find a place once I'm there. I have a hunch, with tourism seeming to be down, that I could find a place--probably at the little travel agents in Krabi. Hmm, maybe I should book a couple nights somewhere on, say, Ao Nang to relax and look around a bit. Guess that's what I'm a gonna doodlydoo.
    Last edited by DaveP; 20th December 2008 at 13:52. Reason: typo booboo

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I say go for it. You'll easily find a place. Let us know what happens and make sure you post pics!!!

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks again for the advice and info. Here's what I ended up doing. --DP

Pics:

Railay

Blog:

Railay Beach 2008

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks for the pics and the reply. Have some green.