-->
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: low tide

vCash
    Thanks

low tide

some things the past few weeks have really gotten under my skin. i get irritated way faster than usual, and negativity abounds.

two posts recently have gotten me thinking a lot:

one by tcat:

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    I wonder if there is something in the nature of Thais that can, from time to time, bring out the worst in us?
    and a follow up comment by russ:

Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson
    Coming from the west we tend inherently to appreciate some basic aspects of individualism.

They have a saying in Korea, "The nail that sticks out, gets pounded down'.

Western psychology can't tolerate this attitude. You can live with it, sometimes for a long time. But there are always going to be situations where the culture values, individual versus insect mentality, collide, and then bingo....

The worst is brought out in us.
    ---so i wanted to probe some of you. not wanting to get into a thai rant- theres too many threads on that, and its not interesting. but im a bit low here, and learnign about some fundamental perspective differences will help put my attitude in context.

not that you need to soothe me, but many of you have both a great amount of experience in travelling in thailand, as well as some sharp insight.

so to the post.....

what about the pack mentality do you think is hardest for us to cope with?

for me, the notion of expression is hard. wanting to be a bit of a renegade will simply make you lose friends here. dressing different, acting in overtly expressive ways. thais simply dont appreciate the art/humor/creativity of public creative expression.

keeping it off a rant- id say that many thais are in fact creative and if you look, you can find artistic expression around. expression of humor too. but a spontaneous "whacha lookin' at " doesnt fly. and not that ive done that and have been busted on it--but my culture and persona have me wanting to express myself like that recently. i feel trapped in that way.

but the aspects of how exactly are individualism and collectivism different is really interesting. not solveable and winnable- but to get a decent grasp on what exactly does the average westerner need to know to cope with their feelings would be nice.
    Last edited by stfranalum; 25th July 2007 at 13:19.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: low tide

Quote Originally Posted by stfranalum
    not...winnable
    To start off I think there's something to do with this.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I'm a man and thus don't have feelings.....if I did I'd get rid of them (or change them) with alcohol

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
    I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I find Thais are oozing with individuality and are dying to burst out but they are contained and controlled at every opportunity for fear they will challenge those in higher positions causing others to lose face. the only ones who want the same same are the lazy students particularly the rich ones who want their degreee with the minumum effort. The whole system is done like this to keep the rich powerful and give the poor not a crumb of hope or expectation that hard work gets you anywhere. Its sad and pathetic. If you had a level education field, an exam that challenge students to think you might just find a whole wave of Thais from the sticks outperforming the priveldged in Bangkok.

vCash
    Thanks

^^ and theres something to your neanderthal logic ken. youre suprisingly deep for a knuckle-walker

for real though, i think theres a lot of "think too mutt" in me- and many westerners. maybe expectations and desire for something more comfortable is the actual source of many frustrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    To start off I think there's something to do with this.
    yeah to be able to EXACTLY pin down the differences between cultures is just not possible. if so, lets make a book and be millionaires. i get 60% matt

Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion
    I find Thais are oozing with individuality and are dying to burst out but they are contained and controlled at every opportunity
    i feel the same way about these folk here. they are, individually, suprisingly individual.

i think theres a mix between, the language being brutually illogical and rule-governed (where are the international influences, morphemes, and creative dynamics in thai language?), the poverty of the country (making doors of opportunities closed, which affects morale and interpersonal relations), and a long history of being ruled in a kingdom (to accept the dictates and not overtly question)

--all of which surpresses that inner-somchai and ployphan from acting as they truly wish. and it aint "how I wish them to be"...you can really see an individual in there wanting to let out.
    Last edited by stfranalum; 25th July 2007 at 13:06.

vCash
    Thanks

Thanks but I'm not up for a probing.
    "A man has got to know his limitations."

Harry Callahan

vCash
    Thanks

^^ and theres something to your neanderthal logic ken. youre suprisingly deep for a knuckle-walker

for real though, i think theres a lot of "think too mutt" in me- and many westerners. maybe expectations and desire for something more confortable is the actual source of many frustrations.
    Plus I'm usually drunk or high on white board cleaner (lovely stuff)!!!

Enjoy the good stuff and put up with the bad.....that's life basically isn't it???!!!

The problem is (as others have said in the past) is that the bad things or things that annoy us are often part and parcel or connected to the things we like/enjoy....so you kind of can't have one without the other...if you get what I mean?

Pretty Like Girl Array WilliamBlake's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

yeah to be able to EXACTLY pin down the differences between cultures is just not possible.
    'tis so. Influenced by Mont Redmond's book, 'Wondering into Thai Culture'...his theory? (paraphrased)

Thais=Buddhist=yin&yang=Circular thinking.

Westerners=Christian=Cross=Linear thinking.

I think there's a lot in that.

(Yeah, yeah, there's other religions, don't start....)
    This space for rent.

vCash
    Thanks

^^youre speaking in english again ken. come on now.

WHOO-HA-HA, BIG CLUB- BIG FIRE. NEED VAGINA. NEED MEAT. GUUUUUUUD

i really need to learn to live like this.

and you do it while making 6x the dosh i do. some guys got it figured out

^ thanks for the support ken blake matt and pee.

man am i one negative motherfucker or what these days. fuuuuuck me. some thai just tried speaking in english to me and i was really annoyed with that. "this vegatable, this pork"....and i was like, "aww moo cap"...didnt reply back in english, which they obviously wanted to practice. i just dont have the empathy that i usually do these days. the eye sparkle is temporarily gone. in its place is the evil eye of Mordor.

vCash
    Thanks

LoL...I don't think I earn that much more than you....I do okay, but nowt special.

My life is quite dull overall....I don't go out much....I hang with my family and watch telly....so don't really have to face the trials and tribulations of Thai encounters too much!

Then again all I have to do to 'cheer' myself up is think of what my life was like in the UK...and then it's all good here...however bad it maybe!!!

Right I'm off for a wank and a raw meat sarnie!!!

Pretty Like Girl Array WilliamBlake's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenkannif
    Then again all I have to do to 'cheer' myself up is think of what my life was like in the UK...and then it's all good here...however bad it maybe!!!

Right I'm off for a wank and a raw meat sarnie!!!
    And there you have it. Beautifully encapsulated in a rhyming couplet. The secret to happiness.

He is truly one of the great ones, Kru Ken.

vCash
    Thanks

aint he?

although a pack leader of the knuckle-walkers, Kru Ken is especially adapted to the intellectual prowesses of us unhappy, unsexed, sober, losers who claim to be smart. in reality, Kru Ken has it figured out.

a jest my man- but for real- there is really something to letting go of hopes of attaining something that in itself is undefinable.

we can define good sex. good food. and a thick ale.

hapiness, especially in a place where i cannto fluently communicate with 99% of the folk, is hard to define at best. at worst, its somethig that i think i grasp, only to have its image and composition change repeatedly, sometimes in the same day

vCash
    Thanks

Fran, change your hair back to its natural colour you freak! Fucking hippies.

Listen mush, you gotta learn more of the language, swim in a bright blue pool, listen to some Jimi Hendrix, eat a big pizza and chat up a waitress or 7. Worked for me.

Most of all repeat this mantra:

I'M NOT IN KOREA
    I'M NOT IN KOREA
    I'M NOT IN KOREA
    I'm everywhere you've never been and better than I've ever been

vCash
    Thanks

^^ Well to have good sex you sometimes have to have bad sex to appreciate the good sex.

Same with food etc.

I'd put money on if life was super easy...and everything swell swell swell....we'd still find something to moan about or get pissed off about....human nature! You want this...you get it....it don't make you much happier in the long run....repeat...repeat...and then die!!!

I set my sights pretty low (okay I've splashed out a bit recently)....and I'm generally pretty happy with my lot!

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickyboy
    Listen mush

you gotta learn more of the language
    Aye Aye

swim in a bright blue pool
    Check

listen to some Rage and DeLa. Its just me, myself, and I
    Check

eat a big pizza
    Check

chat up a waitress or 7
    Aye Aye

---

i forget how stupid it is in hangkooksville. here, you can actually have the expectation of having fun and meeting people. from a korean migrant-workers perspective, being able to chat with a cute waitress is appealing enough, because youre lucky if they simply smile at you. here, its a let down if you dont CLICK with them instantly.

i see your point, captain bibimbap. expectations are the root of unhappiness, arent they?

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast