-->
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red shirts and army facing off....at the end of my soi.

Senior Member Array poolcleaner's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Red shirts and army facing off....at the end of my soi.

I've been watching the news, seeing the confrontation at Lumpini, and thinking, "Thank God it's on the other side of the protest site.

I spoke too soon.

Now the army, heavily armed and number at least 60 are facing off with the red mob out front of the Indra Square.
    Looks pretty tense.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

stay safe

out of control Array bewildered wanderer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

no pics?
    "Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand."
    - Woody Allen

Don
    vCash
    Thanks

Friday too, I hope you already got the beers in.

vCash
    Thanks

My 'new' camera 3 months out of warranty shit itself in the first week of the protest.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

^ Murphy's law

vCash
    Thanks

Here's an update.

About 10 mins ago, I went out to see how things were going. I went up on the footbridge to the Indra and looked up towards the railway line.
    All I could see was about 500 people, lots on motorcycles, but I couldn't see any soldiers.
    There was lots of cheering and taunting, so i thought the soldiers had beat a retreat in the face of overwhelming numbers.
    Then they slowly emerged from the sidewalk and formed a line. It was a bit unreal, as the number of 'reds'? was almost 10 times the soldiers.
    The army was using a loudspeaker and they said something and suddenly all the Thais on the footbridge started heading for the stairs and then the army let loose a few tear gas
    grenades and the crowd dispersed in seconds.
    Since then there has been sporadic gun fire and one large explosion but, apart from the reds retreating at great haste, nothing to make me concerned.

vCash
    Thanks

keep up the commentary, poolie.
    I'm everywhere you've never been and better than I've ever been

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poolcleaner View Post
    Since then there has been sporadic gun fire and one large explosion but, apart from the reds retreating at great haste, nothing to make me concerned.
    As long as there aren't any children depending on you for sustenance, snoop and rubber-neck all day, amidst ''sporadic gunfire and a large explosion''.

Only money, good money, would lessen the number of firewalls between me and that sporadic, large stuff.

vCash
    Thanks

The updates from TV on facebook have made rather worrying reading. 1 french reporter shot in the leg.

vCash
    Thanks

"As the troops try to move in on the red-shirts' encampment, more protestors, not necessarily red-shirts but sympathetic to their cause and resentful of the government crackdown, are coming out onto the streets, attacking the soldiers from behind. They are throwing bricks, molotov cocktails and lumps of concrete."

Thailand: troops advance on protesters - live updates | World news | guardian.co.uk

Interesting. Ok, I'll ditch being coy - cool!

better a tosser than .... Array manned-rake's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

More definite evidence that the Reds have lost all public support.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his _________ depends upon his not understanding it!"

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickyboy View Post
    "As the troops try to move in on the red-shirts' encampment, more protestors, not necessarily red-shirts but sympathetic to their cause and resentful of the government crackdown, are coming out onto the streets, attacking the soldiers from behind. They are throwing bricks, molotov cocktails and lumps of concrete."
    From my room, I couldn't be sure of where the gunfire was coming from but it sound like it was behind the troops initial position.
    At one stage there were about 10 soldiers observing from the airport link station.

There has been a lot of motorcycles coming down my soi towards the action but they seem to be returning at the same speed.

My own personal observation would be that there is a lot of support for the red shirts in my area BUT very few people willing to put themselves in harms way.
    One moment that stood out was a black shirt (leader?) speeding away from the scene, yabbering into a walkie-talkie, waving frantically at people to run away.

*fresh news/gossip...my brother-in-law is a policeman and he's just told the wife that some police are fighting with the army. Pissed off over Seh Daeng, apparently....

Anyway, it's quiet now.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by po3try View Post
    1 french reporter shot in the leg.
    if you want something done properly ...
    I
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    the King
    of Kings

vCash
    Thanks

cut and paste from TV's news update link..

THE NATION: At 6.30 pm, Rajprarop remains danger zone. Fighting goes on despite govt's intention to halt operations at 6 pm _via reporters at the scene
    Having just returned from the 'danger zone' I'm somewhat bemused. I was sitting in a restaurant opposite the Indra and there was much activity at the Rajaprarop intersection, which was about 25 metres away. Lots of young guys, the tech school' types making their way to the red shirts. Loads of locals cheering and taunting the troops. then suddenly the crowd scatters like chickens, albeit with huge grins on their faces, down the soi. This happened on 2 or 3 occasions. Gradually the crowd thinned out.
    I walked up to the end of the soi to have a look for myself. I was amongst about 25 guys, all hiding behind something. I couldn't get a good look up Rajaprarop but there was one guy hanging on a pole, yelling abuse. There was also a small crowd hiding behind the Indra corner.
    i thought, "This sux!" and walked up to my soi to getter a better view. There was a handful of spectators, and policemen, some relaxing in an aircon barber shop, and a handful of soldiers. I made my way to the edge of Rajaprarop and looked out.
    Hmm, no-one to the right. No-one to the left. Nobody whatsoever in the main street. All this time, there has been shotgun fire into the air.
    No more than 20, far from hardcore, reddies, yelling abuse and throwing the odd rock.
    All this tension for very little substance. Danger Zone? Much rather be here than anywhere near Silom, Lumpini, Sathorn etc.

I hope they settle down so I can get a good night in. I have to work out how I get to work tomorrow.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast