-->

Thread: Things are getting better?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Things are getting better?

I'm in the country for a couple weeks, staying with a friend. He was telling me that people were telling him that after the shenanigans in April there has been an exodus of ESL teachers, leading to a shortage of teachers. In turn the salary and conditions teachers can get at the moment are quite favourable. Now my friend is no dummy and the story sounds plausible, but I was wondering if this was a situation people here were experiencing or was it just a bit of an urban myth...
    Papa was a rodeo - Mama was a rock'n'roll band
    I could play guitar and rope a steer before I learned to stand

I'd rather be lampshading Array jonny danger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I got this in the mail a week ago:

Job Title: Native English Teacher
    Located at Bangkok (Thailand)->map
    Vacancy: 5 or more
    Salary: $25000 THB

Requisites:
    Required fields of expertise: ESL/EFL, ESL to Children, French, Science, Math/Physics, Native English Teacher

Details:
    Native English Teachers needed for English Program in Public Thai High School
    Teaching Opportunities: 5 Full Time Matayom teachers required
    • One qualified Math teacher.
    • One qualified Science teacher.
    • One qualified English Teacher.
    • One qualified Social Studies Teacher.
    • One qualified Occupation & Technology Teacher

XXXXXXXXXcha 2 School, XXXXXmin Road XXXXXkum, Bangkok

All teachers should be native English speakers.
    Math, Science, Social Studies teachers will teach specialized subject as well as 1 - 2 elective classes and mainstream ESL classes.
    Elective Courses: Art, PE, Health, Woodshop, Agriculture, Drafting, IT, Computers, and TEFL
    All teachers will teach no more than 18-20 hrs per week.
    All applicants must have:
    - Bachelors Degree in related field
    - TEFL/TESOL/ ESL Certificate
    - 1 year experience

Minimum Salary ranges from 25,000 Baht up depending on education background and teaching experience as we are flexible. Pay increase with contract renewal

Math and Science Teachers needed for English Immersion Classroom in Public Thai High School – XXX XXX, Thailand
    Full Time 1 Year Contract starting March 2010
    Bachelors Degree in related fields plus teaching experience required
    Teaching: 3 – 5 classes a day, 50 minute classes
    Hours: 7:50 – 4:30 Mon-Fri
    Salary: Minimum 30,000 Baht a month
    Pay increase with contract renewal
    Teachers are required to teach 1 class of either Math or Science. At the same time it is beneficial to be skilled in any of the additional elective courses: Art, PE, Health, Woodshop, Agriculture, Drafting, Computer Lab. Applicants will also be teaching 1-2 ESL classes in the regular Thai classrooms.

This position starts out teaching Matayom 1 (grade 7), the first level coming into the English immersion program in its pilot year of existence. The following year we will have a new Matayom 1 class and the seasoned Matayom 2 class continuing on, adding a new class with each year up to Matayom 6. The teaching schedule will progress towards teaching only your specialized field with each new year.
    You will be working alongside not only the faculty of the English Immersion School but also the Foreign Language Department. We are looking for someone who will embrace not only the students but also the faculty in being a part of the school community and working together to reach everyone with the English language.
    XXX XXX is a unique, bustling market town set in the mountains bordering Myanmar. It enjoys one of the most culturally diverse populations with Thais, Burmese, Chinese and a large community of foreigners all co-existing.
    Resume/CV
    Photo
    Cover Letter

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

^ OK that's what's going on in the ads, but I'm more interested in the actual interview stage, are attractive candidates asking for and getting better deals?

bet
    Awaiting mod approval... Array bet's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonny danger View Post
    Teachers are required to teach 1 class of either Math or Science. At the same time it is beneficial to be skilled in any of the additional elective courses: Art, PE, Health, Woodshop, Agriculture, Drafting, Computer Lab. Applicants will also be teaching 1-2 ESL classes in the regular Thai classrooms.
    All for the princely sum of 30K per month. I must admit, I would enjoy teaching Drafting.
    Note for the dimensionally retarded: 6" = 150 mm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Jesus markle, your mate seems to have performed the unlikely feat of being even more clueless than you.

vCash
    Thanks

A couple of friends of mine used to work at the first school that JD mentioned. They were paid a lot more - close to 40K - but they couldn't wait to get out of there. It was the usual case of nasty office politics with the Farangs stuck in the middle between two groups of tough old Thai teachers.
    __________________________________________________ ________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    And I thought that it was just a car!

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

So apart from a few snide remarks from people who aren't even in the country there is no definitive yes or no. Gee fellas it's one thing for people to think posters on AF are smartarse tossers who actually know shit but another to actually live up to the stereotype....

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markle View Post
    there is no definitive yes or no.
    Really?

Responses so far seem to me to be definitive.

Pay rates haven't changed significantly for 25 years ( for many of which you were obviously not in the country ) and your mate is talking shyte.

Quote Originally Posted by markle View Post
    it's one thing for people to think posters on AF are smartarse tossers who actually know shit but another to actually live up to the stereotype.
    Finally something we agree on - sort yourself out eh?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille View Post
    Responses so far seem to me to be definitive.
    There are definitively from people not in the country/ not in a position where they are hiring teachers/not in the process of applying for new positions (this discounts for the most part newbies who are fresh off the plane, clueless of the current hiring climate, etc). Given that you are any of these how would you know my mate is talking shyte (I'm not saying he isn't I just want it confirmed one way or the other)? Basically I want it from the horses mouth, not from a flea bitten ass in Arabia.

vCash
    Thanks

Thai real estate market: People don't buy houses, offer them at the same price and let them sit forever until someone does.

Thai TEFL teaching market: Not enough people take the jobs, offer them at the same salary until someone does.