-->

Thread: When you've lost your job, the cash is low and you still drink a lot....what's next?

vCash
    Thanks

When you've lost your job, the cash is low and you still drink a lot....what's next?

The adventures of Jack Shit, once someone, but now sliding down the ladder.

I though I was unsackable, but the reality was different

You just lost your lucrative 70,000 Baht a month job, and you are thinking about what you should do next. Fuck it, I'll cross that bridge when it comes, let's have a few drinks to drown my sorrows. I'll meet with a friend who'll support my cause, and things will be fine until the next morning. Headache, another hangover. The thought of my position in a months time doesn't bear thinking about. Another drinks marathon is in order, I need to think things over.

Bank balance is almost into desperate measures. You've enough to cover the months rent and would have to find work or borrow for the next month, in six weeks time. Oh well, that's bags of time. I'll have another drink and lock myself away. Next week I'll give up the booze and look around for work...but it's been so long, I was in that job for a few years...where would I start? Next time I log into ajarnforum I'll check the jobs page.

Three days later. Another hangover, wake up at midday. Overflowing ash tray is on the bed still and I'd fallen asleep without getting into bed. Still half a glass of Chang on the side. Fuck it, I'll down it in one. It doesn't seem flat. Pour rest of bottle into glass and drink that too. This is like bunking off from school, but an adult version! I'll find a job soon, I'll ring around some of the guys at work, they said they knew someone.

''Alright mate, it's me, Jack''

''Jack? Jack who?''

''Me, Jack Shit, remember me?? Duh...''

''Oh..hi mate, you good? How's the job hunting going?''

''Not bad, trying to line things up, you know how it is..actually I was wondering, your mate you told me about who needs guys, is he about?''

''Yeah but he's already got someone mate, you should have called me two days ago, I'll call you if anything comes up''

''Ok mate, talk to you soon...oh mate, what about that loan you said would be ok, any chance of anything this week?''

''Nah mate, sorry Jack, but the Mrs. has gotta see her folks and the rents overdue, sorry mate but I wanna help''

''Ok I'll talk to you soon''

Three similar phone calls follow, and three others where there's no answer several times. Six text messages are sent. No replies within 24 hours. everyone must be busy it seems.

I head outside for the first time in 3 days for more beer. Another week and I'll be cutting into the rent money for this month. Shit. Something will come up. I could sell my x-Box and computer, or ask the family back in the Uk to send something. I'll do that tomorrow, yes.. that's it solved. Let's drink to celebrate..things aren't going to be so bad after all.

A marathon drinking session, too lazy to call the family, feel too fucked. Got one text.

'SRY M8 BUT MISSED UR CALL..AM IN HUA HIN TIL NXT MNTH, U FOUND NEW JOB YET?'

Don't even reply, I need to start saving credit. Go out for beers again, I've eaten 1000 Baht into the rent money, oh well that won't be so hard to borrow off Dave downstairs, he teaches at an international school, the lucky rich bastard.

Finally call family and they can't help, there's a credit crunch in the UK, whatever that is, and my father is not well.

Two weeks later and ?????????.....Balcony jump? New job? Stopped boozing and is scouring ajarn.com for a job...back to UK thanks to family emergency loan??.....who knows....

(add your own moral / ending to this oh-so-familiar predicament...)
    Went to the north of England last week, I was up near Cambridge

vCash
    Thanks

That story is so true for a lot of guys I know (including me a few years back). Nice one Pat. I spent about 6 months not working. Got cash from home a few times, but then felt guilty about that so tried other ways.

Next move... I pawned my lap top, got a job through a guy I was drinking with. The first month back at work was tight, I ate a shit load of mama.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I've never been stupid enough or self-disrespectful enough to find myself there. Hey, I've done some funky shit but always in leisure time, and when I could afford it.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat View Post
    Two weeks later and
    So I sold my x-box and computer to Dave downstairs, stingy bastard only gave me 5 grand for both of them. I asked him if there were any jobs at his school, he told me to check the website. I asked him if I could use his computer, he said maybe another time, he was off to Lumphini for a jog. What a twat.

The 5 grand meant that I could pay my rent, which left me with 1,750 left over. I decided to stay off the booze to save money, well during the day anyway. Found this drink in 7-11 called Siamsato. Only 25 baht a bottle, and does the job of 4 Changs - this saving money thing ain't so bad.

There's this restaurant down a soi closeby, they leave the rice pan soaking out the back in the afternoons, so I get down there and scrape the leftover rice off for my lunch - it's fuckin' minging but I'm starvin'.

My phone's out of credit and my number's been disconnected so I can't call anyone. My visa runs out next week, don't know what the fuck I'm gonna do about that.

I thought about going to teach at a language school, but I thought I'm not that desperate.
    Last edited by Cawphad Guy; 8th January 2011 at 16:02.
    You know what really chaps my ass though?

I spent my life savings turning my van into a dog.
    The alarm alone cost me two hundred.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonny danger View Post
    I've never been stupid enough or self-disrespectful enough to find myself there. Hey, I've done some funky shit but always in leisure time, and when I could afford it.
    Me too.

I could never allow myself to slide like that.

I thought you was in the UK Pat?
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson View Post
    I thought you was in the UK Pat?
    I am, but not really due to the opening post, more due to just too much partying and selfishness.

vCash
    Thanks

I guess that This kind of thing would happen to younger teachers. Most of the guys I am referring to were in their twenties. Although I did know of a guy in his late forties still getting money sent over from his parents. Now that is embarrassing.

Xerographic Detournements Array re_fuse's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat View Post
    When you've lost your job, the cash is low and you still drink a lot....what's next?
    Hock your anus ....You know you're sitting on a gold mine

vCash
    Thanks

doing a runner from a restaurant is also a viable option

vCash
    Thanks

Pat...I don't think I've ever said thanks for amusing me on Ajarn, but I'll say it now.....that last post made me spray my glass of port over the screen. THANKS!
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LDMA View Post
    Pat...I don't think I've ever said thanks for amusing me on Ajarn, but I'll say it now.....that last post made me spray my glass of port over the screen. THANKS!
    I wouldn't laugh too soon...all that guilt destroyed me big time,

Until......I realised that you were not much of an example

vCash
    Thanks

Funny. hehe. He'd better not return there again. The street stall lady might get her machete out.