-->
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with the low pay these days?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by po3try View Post
    ***Another point to consider is that 30,000 Baht a month is three times more than most Thai teachers earn.*** Whoever said that is a moron. That is the starting salary for a teacher not what veteran teachers make. It also doesn't include the fact that they get a pension, social welfare, and many of them teach 1-2 hours extra a day making as much as another 20K a month. I know too many teachers driving expensive European cars. They couldn't do that if they only made 10k a month.
    It was me who said that and I do not take kindly to been called a moron.

Correct me if I am wrong the thread started about teaching jobs in Thailand been advertised at 30,000 baht per month. The discussion then explored was this predominantly a starting salary until one had gained experience or dependant on where the school is located. In your post you yourself state that 10,000 baht is the starting salary for a Thai teacher who has just graduated.

Personally, I do not think it is polite to call someone a moron just because you disagree with their point, even though you state that 10,000 baht is the usual starting salary and the op was talking about 30,000 baht posts and he himself will be a new starter to the industry.

Andy
    Last edited by Firfox; 15th May 2011 at 03:58.

Established User Array Hollywood's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Asteroids Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Bomb Jack Champion! Elite Mahjong Full Champion! Centipede Classic Champion!
    Not sure how I came off as an expert since, again, I clearly stated I wasn't a teacher and am still in pursuit of my degree.

My wife is Thai and Thailand is where we'd prefer to live. Not sure why that comes off as a pipe dream. Seems quite realistic to me.

I don't see how your example pertains to me. Have you read anything in my posts asking what the first day of school is like? Have you read anything about lesson plans, interactive games with the students, what is served for lunch, etc? You say I'm worrying about things that are so far off, however I'm a year out from being qualified to work. When would you suggest I begin to worry about something such as the potential pay rate? A month out? A week? That's likely the reason for most people's failures in Thailand (or any other country)...not having a clue what to expect when they get there.

I may be new to this forum and industry, but I'm not new to life. I've lived in over 5 countries in the past 10 years and have spent a significant amount of time in Thailand. The only country I've spent more time in than Thailand is Afghanistan. In fact, I haven't even been in the States for 2 years. So I'll tell you what, I'll prepare for my future in the way I feel it will give me the best odds for success..."retarded" or not, in your eyes. Oh...but if, for whatever reason (curiosity, for example), I happen to ask a retarded question, feel free not to respond if you believe it to be a waste of time.

---Update---

BTW...just noticed you called Firfox a moron. So, he's a moron, and I'm retarded. Hmmm...looks as though I was spot on with my initial impression of teachers in Thailand...you have a real issue with new people. Why is that? Afraid of competition? Don't want any other kids playing in your sandbox?

Geez...name calling? Really? Well, well, you're a poo poo head. So there.

vCash
    Thanks

nobody comes here for the money. even the ones with the correct qualifications

Established User Array Hollywood's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Asteroids Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Bomb Jack Champion! Elite Mahjong Full Champion! Centipede Classic Champion!
    LoveBucket...I'm no exception to that statement. Personally, were I after money, I'd stay right where I am...war is big business, and business is good.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Tefl teachers getting skanked in Thailand? Well I never. Weren't we talking about this very same topic back in 2005? Maybe we should all become 'Disney Instructors'

Möbius Strip Tease Array Anna Key's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 706 Posts

Aarg

---Update---

Quote Originally Posted by frankly speaking View Post
    visual aesthetic classes.
    Eh?
    "Take this, brother; may it serve you well."

SAKNAT Array
    vCash
    Thanks

For Frankly Speaking,

Most schools that I know of pay during holidays unless they are crafty and hire you between terms.

Where are you working sir? I'd love to work there.

For the past 5 years I have always been on a ten month pay salary /12 month contract (visa)

One time just last year I was on an 11 month pay salary/12 month contract (visa).

This year back to 10 months pay salary /12 month contract (visa)with higher wages.

I do not know a teacher who receives a full twelve months pay.

I'm in the government high school area of teaching.
    You still have to work for a couple of weeks for free mind you at the end of the ten months to put in all the student data in BookMark

In regards to schools paying for non b visas and work permits some do, some don't, and some just can't afford it.

First school payed for non imm b extension and work permit.

Secind school ( for three years) did not pay for visa extension and work permit up until the third year.

Eventually got a refund if we had kept the previous years paperwork from immigration.

Current school can not pay as it's a small school and generally can't afford it.

Hopefully this will be another usedul post.

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saknat View Post
    Most schools that I know of pay during holidays unless they are crafty and hire you between terms.
    This has been my experience as well. It should hold true in most larger provincial cities and Bangkok. If you are in the sticks, it might not be the case.
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

vCash
    Thanks

I do not know a teacher who receives a full twelve months pay.
    Well you can't know them all... I also get paid for 12 months and have for the last 3 schools I've worked for...

Current school can not pay as it's a small school and generally can't afford it.
    This is almost always going to work on the falang whos perception of Thailand is filtered through his western sense of cultural superiority.

They're not all poor little brown people...

One should refrain from wrapping gossip in a package that resembles advice...

Saknat it might also be helpful to preface your posts with the fact that you are in the region of Thailand that is notorious for wages at the lower end of the scale...Fortunately your situation is far from the norm in Thailand.
    Last edited by Thaitanium; 15th May 2011 at 09:25. Reason: to keep TCs' shit unknotted...
    "You really want to save the planet?...the next time you see a hybrid car with a childseat... smash the window, remove the childseat and replace it with a box of condoms..." Doug Stanhope
    ---------------------------------------------------------

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Thaitanium For This Useful Post:

SAKNAT Array
    vCash
    Thanks

In regards to the second school working there for three years and eventually receiving back payment for three years of visa extensions/work permits
    this school was in a reasonably sized town outside of Chiang Mai. (3500 students with an EP program)

With the current school last year another teacher and I asked if the school would pay for the visa extension/work permits. Our boss said no we can't afford it. (From the bosses mouth)_ (1500 students no EP program teach the entire school.)

You still try though.

Just this week I got a new extension/work permit. Oh Boss you owe my wife 5000 baht. (See what kind of reaction you get)

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thaitanium View Post
    Their not all poor little brown people
    ...or poor little possessive adjectives, either...
    ...majestically enthroned amid the vulgar herd...

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I got an e-mail from the recruiter at a Thai school yesterday asking me why this year, they are finding it so difficult to get teachers. She also went on to mention that a school 'down the road' is having exactly the same problem.

One thing that amazes me - and something we have to accept - is that many of those Thais in admin or school management / recruitment positions are blissfully unaware of what the big picture is. I'm sure they consider the opportunity to teach in Thailand as an honour - and something teachers should be bloody grateful for. All those arguments such as 'farangs can't live like a Thai' and 'we need to save money for the future' are just lost on them frankly.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil View Post
    All those arguments such as 'farangs can't live like a Thai' and 'we need to save money for the future' are just lost on them frankly.
    It's another in the long line of problems that could be avoided with the application of a bit of empathy...and the understanding that one will never make the bulk of Asian practices make sense to the western thought process.

Based on the commentary of so many on and off this forum...one has to believe that there are a lot of falang who actually believe that Thais are sitting around thinking about shit exactly the way we do.

---Update---

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    ...or poor little possessive adjectives, either...
    Oh look...it's the one line Wonder Woman wannabe...champion of all things irrelevant...
    Last edited by Thaitanium; 15th May 2011 at 09:52.

SAKNAT Array
    vCash
    Thanks

...Fortunately your situation is far from the norm in Thailand.

What is normal in Thailand?

The wife is from an area between Chiang Rai and Chiang Kong

That's why I am here.
    Last edited by saknat; 15th May 2011 at 10:13.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thaitanium View Post
    the application of a bit of empathy
    ...I would probably substitute common sense here...since there are very few reasons related to the teaching profession to work in LOS, I assume folks here are motivated by other factors...if the pay is low, go elsewhere; if the benefits are non-existent, go elsewhere; if the facilities are wretched, go elsewhere; if admin is medieval, go elsewhere; if professionalism is a consideration, go elsewhere;...however, if it's weather, sex, or wife...stay and teach to get by...with a little less complaining...