-->
Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with the low pay these days?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

What's up with the low pay these days?

Browsing through Aj jobs all I see is 30K per month.
    Also agencies seem to be controlling the marketplace.
    I reckon agencies must be pocketing 30K per month for each placement.
    How do you break this system?

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGareth2 View Post
    How do you break this system?
    Get out of the market. Too many foreign teachers are driving down our value. On a side note, please shoot to kill all teacher volunteers.
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

words of wisdom
    I will be retiring at the end of the coming academic year

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGareth2 View Post
    I will be retiring
    Please don't resurrect as a volunteer...

vCash
    Thanks

It's fucking ridiculous....(I know I'm swearing...sorry)....

There is an ad at the moment for a language centre for B240 an hour....The same company gave me B280 an hour, 8 years ago when I was fresh off the boat.....

I understand Ajarn just places the ads but this is the worst I have ever seen it. The agencies are dominating the teaching industry now and are driving down the salaries for your average chalkie.

And one more thing while I'm on my soapbox.....

I understand that you can't name and shame but it drives me insane, seeing a company regularly advertise here and they are the most unscrupulous, cheating, lying, bastards on this green earth...Who very recently cheated me and left me in a load of shit regarding my visa.....

I never usually post with such venom and profanities but these people have served me a massive injustice and will get away with it scott- free.

The CVNTS!!!
    What to find second-hand bar furniture? Find staff for your restaurant? Find out who supplies Guinness in Thailand? Join
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A facebook group where you can ask questions about the bar/pub/restaurant industry in Thailand.

older by the second Array dave123's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    I understand that you can't name and shame but it drives me insane, seeing a company regularly advertise here and they are the most unscrupulous, cheating, lying, bastards on this green earth...Who very recently cheated me and left me in a load of shit regarding my visa.....
    This is one of the problems having a forum, linked (ownership wise) with the advertisers. they will always back the advertisers as they pay the wages and we just contribute FA.
    When I was young I kicked my sister.
    my mum gave me such a smack, then asked "do you want another one"?
    "Jeez" mum I said "I have enough trouble with one sister without you having another"

vCash
    Thanks

This week should have been a joyous occasion for me, on Tuesday I was married to the sweet Mrs Hood....After the Ampur, instead of heading for the marital bed, I was on a bus to Laos, directly because of one of the advirtisers here and their practices....I got back very late last night.

One again.....THE CVNTS!!!

Established User Array Hollywood's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Asteroids Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Bomb Jack Champion! Elite Mahjong Full Champion! Centipede Classic Champion!
    I just mentioned this in another thread. After spending roughly USD 30,000 for my education, I'm going to go work for USD 9,000 per year (based on THB 30,000 per month).

I don't know what the solution is. Perhaps if the MoE were to require Bachelor degrees in Education for teachers, that would cut down on the number of teachers qualified to work, thus making qualified teachers more in demand. Of course, that change would obviously not be popular with the majority of current teachers, so maybe those who've taught for 5+ years can be grandfathered in.

Probably not much point in debating this though since the MoE is going to do what the MoE wants...regardless of how it effects expat teachers.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    seeing a company regularly advertise here and they are the most unscrupulous, cheating, lying, bastards on this green earth...Who very recently cheated me and left me in a load of shit regarding my visa.....
    did you point this out to admin...

---Update---

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I don't know what the solution is.
    Don't take the job. Obviously it's enough or you wouldn't have taken it.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panhunger View Post
    did you point this out to admin...
    Really, what's the point?

I have no proof apart from they know and I know.

vCash
    Thanks

Asteroids Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Bomb Jack Champion! Elite Mahjong Full Champion! Centipede Classic Champion!
    Oh...don't take the job...the answer was so simple. Why didn't I think of that? You hear that everyone? If you don't like the amount of money offered to you, then don't take the job. If you're currently working and don't like your pay rate, then quit. I guess we no longer need threads about this since you've solved the issue.

Newsflash Einstein...LOTS of people take jobs even if they're unhappy with the pay. It has to do with being financially responsible to yourself and your family. Just because someone takes a job for a certain pay rate, doesn't mean that rate of pay is fair.

vCash
    Thanks

Newsflash Einstein...LOTS of people take jobs even if they're unhappy with the pay. It has to do with being financially responsible to yourself and your family. Just because someone takes a job for a certain pay rate, doesn't mean that rate of pay is fair.
    I just finished designing a speaking assessment (I can't say for whom - my boss told me it is strictly confidential ). One of the questions was the following:

"What is your opinion about taking a job with a low salary that has a lot of holiday time? What are the advantages and disadvantages? What do you think?"

I think it will be interesting to see how the learners respond....

Möbius Strip Tease Array Anna Key's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 706 Posts

LOTS of people take jobs even if they're unhappy with the pay.
    Seconded. I'm in the sticks anyway. When I started my pay was very low, people thought I was mad, but there were many, many other factors in play at the time.
    "Take this, brother; may it serve you well."

vCash
    Thanks

Don't mind panny...he's handicapped...

The main source of frustration over salaries is that, simply put, there is nothing we as teachers can do about it...couple that with a seeming inability to make sense of how Asians can make us work for less and less money each year and our only recourse is a headshake.

But they must collectively be laughing their asses off at how the cost of living continues to rise...wages continue to decline...and yet here we are still lining up for gate duty...

You got to laugh...the alternative is too ghastly...
    "You really want to save the planet?...the next time you see a hybrid car with a childseat... smash the window, remove the childseat and replace it with a box of condoms..." Doug Stanhope
    ---------------------------------------------------------

vCash
    Thanks

It's mind boggling indeed, Thaitanium. While Thailand is where I want to settle down for the rest of my life, I find myself having to come up with a contingency plan just in case I have to leave the country in 3 years for lack of being able to support my family. As you said though, as soon as I leave, there will be 10 others waiting to take my place, along with lesser pay.

The current situation seems to be fine for those who are collecting retirement and/or social security checks every month to supplement their income, and for those who are just doing a teaching holiday for a year. Or if people in those groups still have a problem with the rate of pay, at least it doesn't effect them as significantly as it does those who are in it for a career.

Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast